Old 07-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #301
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Yes, she has 15 books and I have them all. She is a fabulous designer, but the errors and poorly phrased directions are very vexing. Also, she doesn't include any schematics. I know lots of folks don't use the schematics (even when they are included in the pattern), however, when you run into a problem or question...schematics really help. Such as the final length of the sleeve pieces. She doesn't 'tell' how long the sleeves will be...and she doesn't provide a diagram (schematic) with measurements of the sleeves. So now, in trying to determine if I knit the sleeve according to the pattern...will the sleeves look like ape-arms? The GROVE coat I made recently had sleeves that would hang 5 inches PAST my fingertips. But I was on to her...and I had to drastically modify the sleeves.

Anyhoo, already she has an error in the sleeve pattern. She says 'after 5 blocks are finished, the sleeve will measure 15" above the cuff'. That's not right. The sleeve will measure 15" total, including the cuff because a 'block' is 6 cm in height (~2.5"). Two and a half times 5 is 12.5"...and the cuff will measure about 2.5".
That is 15" altogether.

Anyway, a simple looking sweater can be a major headache...and I'm beginning to count on her patterns to be headache. She designs, doesn't proofread very well...and I am left to unravel the mysteries.

This is the design called VIVECA, from book "A Walk in the Park".
I started it last night, in MALABRIGO MERINO: cream, undyed, natural.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #302
Karina
Working the Gusset

Pretty cardigan. I can't wait to start the Grove, should be getting the yarn beginning of next week. But I have promised myself that I won't look at it until I have finished my CPH.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #303
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
that's gonna be pretty!

Karina how cold is the water in your kids pool? have they gotten in it yet?

I found the perfect buttons for my CPH today, still need to start seaming it - maybe tonight or tomorrow,

Aren't they perfect?! & they had 6, just what I wanted, kinda like it was meant to be.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #304
Karina
Working the Gusset

Julie - I love your buttons, The water in the pool is very cold. and I know because I went in it. The kids loved it. Was cold to start with but once you get over the shock of it all it was fun. Maisey was with me for about 10 minutes then I took her out. but she kept trying to climb the ladder to get in again. Crazy child. give it a couple of days the sun will hopefully have heated the water a little.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #305
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I love the Celtic buttons! Have used them myself. I think I have some in my button drawer now! I have some in copper color, too...and a burnished antique gold.

Good idea...to make yourself finish CPH before embarking upon GROVE.

Something I do allow myself: For example: while the CPH pieces are blocking/drying...I allow myself to swatch for GROVE, pre-plan my notebook for GROVE, and maybe cast on.

Then when CPH is dry and ready to seam, etc...I make myself put GROVE aside in order to finish CPH! A little 'leapfrog' game I play with myself!

Always keeping busy!

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #306
jberry16
Instepping Out

I've finished seaming my CPH!!!!!!! It took me all of 2 hours to seam it all up. Honestly it was much easier than I expected!

Karina if you're still knitting yours, do youself a favor and knit the first stitch of the purl rows it will make it so much easier when seaming, promise!
So tonight I'll probably have a weave in fest & sew on the buttons.

Artlady with those buttons should I sew smaller buttons on the back side of the button band, as kind of a stopper? Would you use the embroidery floss to sew the buttons on or the yarn? thanks for all your help!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #307
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
I've finished seaming my CPH!!!!!!! It took me all of 2 hours to seam it all up. Honestly it was much easier than I expected!

Karina if you're still knitting yours, do youself a favor and knit the first stitch of the purl rows it will make it so much easier when seaming, promise!
So tonight I'll probably have a weave in fest & sew on the buttons.

Artlady with those buttons should I sew smaller buttons on the back side of the button band, as kind of a stopper? Would you use the embroidery floss to sew the buttons on or the yarn? thanks for all your help!
CONGRATULATIONS!!

For the buttons, using the smaller buttons on the backside as a stopper is a nice idea! Depends on how much added weight is adds though! I usually use the sweater's yarn for sewing on the buttons. Are your buttons the type that have a shank, or holes?
If holes, then whatever type of thread, floss, or yarn that most closely matches the button itself.

If a shank type button, use the sweater yarn. I also add a dab of FRAY CHECK to the knot on the back. It soaks in and disappears, and gives the knot less ability to undo itself.

Can hardly wait for photos!!!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-30-2008)
Old 07-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #308
jberry16
Instepping Out

they're a shank & I have fray check!

ETA how many sts do you usually weave things in?

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 07-30-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #309
Karina
Working the Gusset

I am still doing mine nearly finished the fronts have about 16 row to go. then on to the sleeves.

Look forward to seeing yours. Can't believe it only took 2 hours. Makes me feel a bit better, have been dreading the seaming. I will make sure I do the knit stitch on the sleeves, on the fronts I did the add one stitch to the neck side and knit it every row because Lisa Kay said it made it easier to pick up the stitches for the button band.

I do have one question when I put the stitches on the holder that contains the cable section that is to go over the hood, I have more stitches in the cable section (12 instead of 10) so I will have less stitches left on the final row. will it matter or do I have to do something to adjust for that. I have read through the Lisa Kay blog and there is no mention of it there. Maybe I am making it into a big thing when it means nothing?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #310
Karina
Working the Gusset

Artlady Have you seen this Ragna http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Leichsi/ragna

I just love the neck. I will have to make mine like this looks so nice and cosy.