Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #5281
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Karina here's one of the mountain chains that I was telling you about, here it is a while before sunset, 20 min or so.

Here it is starting to turn pink like a watermelon-there were clouds blocking some of the sun rays yesterday when I took this so it isn't 'pink' like a watermelon.

Here's a small bit of what it looks like when it's pink, though I got the camera out too late-I wasn't happy I missed it, sorry. This will give you a little idea what my neighborhood/backyard looks like. I'm only 1 mile away from this spot where the pic was taken.

Here's my first hand spun yarn on a niddy noddy

I decided not to ply this, just because 1, there's only 42 yards & 2 b/c it's such a range of thicknessess, here it is skeined up!

I think I might just make a little card carrier out of it
any ideas anyone for 42 yards of handspun yarn. widths vary from fingering to worsted-novelty yarn, I guess.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #5282
jberry16
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
QOTD Do you think the kid next door would be upset I I borrowed the front tire off his bicycle for a spinning wheel? I only need the front tire.
Actually I think all you need is the rim, right? the tire he can keep, it's floppy anyway.

(did you find plans? if you did you must share!)
Old 08-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #5283
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
(did you find plans? if you did you must share!)

I haven't found a free set I like but will keep working.

Beautiful pictures. I all ways loved the way the sun played on the mountains in New Mexico. The only thing better was getting up and looked out the hotel window to the sight on 100's of hot air balloons taking off. I knew of the balloon fests but didn't know the it was that weekend.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #5284
Karina
Working the Gusset

Dustina and Christine hope you have a great holiday.

Gina the adapted neck I was talking about is the Ragna sweater in the Viking knits book. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Leichsi/ragna. she has completely altered the neck and I love it. Hope your DH wins the fight with the heels and completes his sock.

Jenny - Little Emily is so lovely. good luck with your move.

Tami - I love your spinning wheel. Wish I knew how a wheel worked then maybe I could figure out how to do something like that or at least my FIL could instead of buying a 2-300 wheel. The fact that it works is just so brilliant. is it faster/more productive to spin on a wheel as opposed to a spindle. or is everything dependent on ability.

Chris you are so funny - poor child. Surely you must have nieces or nephews who have outgrown their bikes and just sitting in the garage. I know I have a couple of bikes although now they are waiting for Maisey to grow so she can use them.

Julie - the photos are amazing. Will have to get out with my camera and take some shots of my area, not as dramatic as your back yard. Love love love your yarn. I think you should have it displayed with pride in your living room for all to see. don't use it. The colour is so pretty.
I was one of the ones that wanted the Seaming instructions for the CPH, Have not had a chance to work on it for a few days, which is so annoying. I keep looking at it and thinking I will do a bit then something comes up, yesterday I managed to do all of one row, I wonder if I could send the kids back to school early so I have a bit more time.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #5285
jberry16
Instepping Out

I'm going to get my book & scan the pages in the pc now & then email them to y'all, I totally forgot, sorry!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #5286
jberry16
Instepping Out

OK I sent it to;
Chris, Jackie, Christine, Karina & Gina...anyone else? I don't remember, please pm me & I'll get it to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
G J (08-03-2008), Karina (08-03-2008)
Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #5287
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
You can probably use the Harmony set. They're wood. I just ordered a few tips for my set. I have the Options, but the wood Harmony tips fit on the same cables.
The company says the connectors for the Harmony tips are nickel too, and while it probably isn't enough/in the right spots to bother me... I'm cautious about spending money on wooden needles. I knit too tight and usually they just don't work well for me. :-( . I wish they had brass or silver plated ones. I'd pay a small fortune for a set of silver/silver plate Options.
Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
Ok so here's the pics!

front unbuttoned

front buttoned

back
OMG love the sweater!!!!!!
I'm trying to limit my knitting to 5 minute increments--less if the pain sets in. I've managed to do ONE lousy row of my lacy top and I started a swatch for the CPH. I think I'll have to use size 9s to get gauge. What did you use, Julie and Karina? The yarn I'm using seems a bit lighter than worsted weight. I sort of wish I had a cotton to use. It's so hot here now, just holding the wool/silk blend I have makes me sweat--even in the AC!
Think of it this way: if your wrist hurts and you start loosening up or tightening up without noticing, you'll have to frog and then you'll get even less done. Better to take it slow to begin with. Hope things get better though.
She's so funny...She complains if I leave anything sitting around, but she tends to drop things as she walks through the house. Silly girl. She keeps her apartment at school pretty neat, but around here, she tends to be a slob! Go figure!
I'm an odd mix of neat and disorganized. My books and most of my craft materials are absolutely in perfect order at all times and I have been known to get incredibly upset if someone removes or simply moves a book without permission. I even have a card-catalogue. Literally. On the other hand, my clothes tend to be left in piles, random papers float around my room, I have a small octopus that eats all the cords in my room (actually more of a milli-pus)... my mom flips out once in a while and makes me pick it up (which = piling everything into my closet and shutting the door for a few days).
I'm not too fussy about her room, though. I figure it's her space, and to a degree, I let her leave it the way she wants it. It's not disgusting, or anything; just messy.
Please share this philosophy with my mom. I keep my door shut so nobody has to see that I am a cluttered person.
Okay, so here's a QOTD: How do you keep your knitting area from looking messy? Post some pictures or ideas!
I'll maybe post pictures if I remember once I get stuff re set up at college. I have two metal "milk crate" style boxes. The first holds my natural fibers; the other has my books, patterns, and acrylics. Needles and notions are on top.
Originally Posted by fibrenut View Post
Hiya Julie,
Hun, you'll never guess what I did..... I made myself a spinning wheel from pvc n an old bicycle rim.
It was rough goin at the start (because you only use one hand on the wheel to make it go and another on the fibre to hold it n draft it). It finally clicked and I do it the park n draft method. So far so good. Gonna try to figure out how to put on a treadle on it though so I can use both hands to draft n spin. That'll be real kewl!!!! Here's a pic of it. I know it's no ashford but heck it actually works!!!!!
I've been wanting to make one for myself. I want a vertical wheel though.

Originally Posted by alleusion View Post
I don't know how often I'll be able to poke my head in, but I thought I'd share a picture of the baby before I disappered again...

OMG my name is Emily Elizabeth too.
OK so I haven't started my socks yet because I have literally not been home before 11:30 pm since Wednesday. But, I have some exciting news. I posted it in the Off Topic section but had to share here too.
I got a job at Hancock Fabrics! I got hired on-the-spot. I start the first day of classes at college. I'll be able to afford a new computer, and maybe a sewing machine, and a rapier, all that much faster!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
fibrenut (08-03-2008), G J (08-03-2008), jberry16 (08-03-2008)
Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #5288
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
CONGRATULATIONS, Jess!!!! That's WONDERFUL! I hope you LOVE the job and that they're flexible about working around your class schedule. How many credits are you taking this semester? Where are you going to school now that you're back from Australia? I'd talk to your mom about letting your room be YOUR space, but I must confess that I DO make sure the kids' rooms get cleaned at least every other week. And NO FOOD up there PERIOD!

I got some knitting done today--about 2" on my lacy top. Not much, but it's progress!

DH and I celebrate our 24th anniversary tomorrow. I think the plan is to go out for lunch together and then stop at Hallmark to look at cards for each other. We won't actually BUY them...just share them and laugh together. I got him a box to keep on the coffee table to keep his knitting in. He usually leaves it sitting on the couch where someone could get impaled on the needles, and I think he'll like having a place to keep it where the yarn won't get messed up.

Julie, I made Cinnamon rolls tonight and put them in the fridge. I'll let them rise and bake them in the morning so we'll have fresh, hot ones for breakfast. Yum. Sorry you had to frog the vest. I'm not very good at estimating how much yarn to CO. I usually end up with either an extremely long tail, or I have to do it twice cuz I ran out of yarn. I KNOW how to estimate, so you'd think I'd be better at it!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #5289
jberry16
Instepping Out

Jess CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Do you want us to call you Emily?

Gina I think that is a great idea! Did you use my recipe, or another one?

OT-if anyone has a Famous Footwear store in their town they're having a buy 1 get one 1/2 off sale & then in today's paper was a 20% of entire purchase cupon so we took advantage & got Dh 2 pairs of New Balance shoes, would have been (without any sale, & with tax) $122.00 but with the 'no sales tax holiday' (where they dont charge sales tax for things kids need for school) & with the sale & with the 20% cupon our total was just under $60!!! I love sales like that! Granted yes, that's $60 we normally wouldnt have spent today but it would have been spent in a few months when Dh's work shoes are worn out.
Sure is quiet in here without Christine, hope she's having a fun time.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #5290
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Here's a link to the DIY for the spinning wheel. It's a spindle style and not a flyer style. I'm looking into how to make a flyer. That would be soooooooo AWESOME!!!!!
Here's the link...
http://www.pjsadventures.com/Dragons.../PVCWheel.html

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fibrenut For This Useful Post:
cacunn (08-04-2008), jberry16 (08-04-2008)
Closed Thread