Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #21
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Ribbing in Continental
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That's why I switched to english. I just struggled with the purls. There are times though I wish I could do continental...like when I'm ribbing.
Hey, Jan!

Pleeeeeze pick up the continental for your ribbing. It's awesome! Check out this website for a truly clear, effective demonstration of continental knitting, knit and purl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLF...eature=related

Once I saw this, my slowish, kinda creaky continental purling got wings! It really cleared up a misconception for me that was holding me back from a smooth transition between knit and purl. This is fantastic! I completed the ribbing on a pair of socks last week so fast I was amazed! I hope you'll like it, too!

This is such a great site! Everyone on it likes to share and help each other. What a great group!

Ruthie

Last edited by RuthieinMaryland : 08-22-2008 at 10:07 PM.
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #22
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Believe it or not, I just got the continental purl! I've been trying off and for a while, and thanks to the links you guys provided, the light finally clicked!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #23
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi

I'd been battling with the cursed Conti purl for quite a while and had looked at most of the videos floating around.

It's this one that finally cut the mustard - it's the easiest way I've come across, plus it demonstrates what can happen with some methods of purling, losing tension, unnecessary finger movement, etc., and all the other related joys of tying your left hand up in knots and/or cutting off the circulation.

What cracked it for me was taking a good look at where exactly the yarn was positioned on her left index finger -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cQTWDz...eature=related

All the Best
Ellie
http://www.countonknit.com
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Limey For This Useful Post:
Ronda (08-21-2008), RuthieinMaryland (08-22-2008)
Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #24
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
I like the way she does it! Thanks!

Since I finally just got the hang of this one, I decided to do a quick dishcloth in basketweave. Maybe it's the cotton yarn, but I'm having a hard time keeping my tension. The yarn seems to slide up my finger and get really loose, and I have to keep readjusting. Still, I'm getting some practice in!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #25
GinnyG
Instepping Out

If you want to learn it "to learn it" that's fine. But really, continental isn't the "end all be all" of knitting. Knit the way you enjoy knitting!!!
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #26
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by Ronda View Post
I like the way she does it! Thanks!

Since I finally just got the hang of this one, I decided to do a quick dishcloth in basketweave. Maybe it's the cotton yarn, but I'm having a hard time keeping my tension. The yarn seems to slide up my finger and get really loose, and I have to keep readjusting. Still, I'm getting some practice in!
Ronda, Dahling!

I had somewhat the same problem. Try wrapping the yarn a couple of times around your left pinkie and then pulling the thread over the other three fingers, as shown in the video. If I don't wrap the thread enough times around that pinkie I have the same problem you describe. Experiment with however many wraps you need to be able to maintain your tension without stress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLF...eature=related

Lots of luck!

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
Ronda (08-24-2008)
Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #27
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Oh I love the way she does her continental. I have been doing it now for about 3 months and it is wonderful. I have arthritis in my right hand and wrist. So I started looking for a new way to knit. By no means was I going to stop knitting. I found that video and I haven't looked back.
It does take time to get gauge but once you get it wow, I won't say I am the fastest knitter in the world, but I get the job done.
So keep trying and it will come in time. I have to wrap my yarn a few time and that is the way I do it. I can't do the one wrap like she does. I lose it and then the rest goes with it. I do like continental this way the best.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (08-31-2008)