Old 08-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
crochet v knitted
i've literally learnt to crochet last week. im painfully slow at it and not quite at the enjopying stage totally when i go it alone (learnt it one of mitchie's classes and thought iy was great in the class, now slugging off a bit).

i want to make a basic throw type blanket for ds's bed ready for winter. knitted this is a big project for me. woud it be quicker to do crocheted please?

if yes can anyone recomend an idiot proof pattern please?

i've done decreasing sts inc in double stitch and single so far, im not proving to be a quick learner with crochetting (im better at klnitting lol)

anyone got any cluyes please

thank you
susi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

It depends on how fast you knit compared to crocheting I guess..... I've never had the patience to actaully make a blanket. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
Ben10
Ribbing the Cuff

I crochet quite fast but my knitting is slow .
Maybe it will be just a case of which you prefer and if you feel comfy doing it.

Not sure i have been of any help but good luck anyhow!
Ben10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben10 For This Useful Post:
susi (08-24-2008)
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
coff3893
Ribbing the Cuff

crocheting vs knitting
Personally for my I am faster at crocheting. I seem to like it better. I am just learning to knit. I have mad 6 twin size blankets in 2 years time. My suggestion it to start with granny squares. make a granny square the size you want. it can be big or small. and then after you have 40 or 50 of them sew them together. Dawn
coff3893 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coff3893 For This Useful Post:
MsBehavin (08-25-2008), susi (08-24-2008)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
miccisue
Turning the Heel

I learned crocheting first, but am even slower at that than I turned out to be in knitting.
Basically, all I crocheted were ripple afghans - they use basic stitches and chains, and can be made any length/width you want. Time consuming (when you're as slow as I am), but very simple!! And, it doesn't require sewing anything together (another plus for yours truly. LOL!!!)
Try a search for either "ripple" or "wave" crochet stitches - they're the basis of the afghan - read them and see what you think.
Good luck!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miccisue For This Useful Post:
susi (08-24-2008)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
nephthys8

I think I would consider myself a novice at both crochet (something I've been doing for years, but just am not perfect with) and knitting (something I've only been doing for a couple of weeks).

The largest finished piece I've ever made was a crocheted blanket that I do really love. However, it is not perfect (there are a lot of visible knotted ends where I didn't really switch the colors of yarn properly) and it took me a long time. I would work on it and then put it away for several months at a time, but I'd still say that if I worked on it straight through it would have taken me about a month.

Like some of the other folks have said here, I'd do whichever one you think you are faster at.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
susi (08-24-2008)
Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

V-stitch is easy and fast. There are a lot of free patterns out there, ranging from baby blankets to ultra-bulky. Another idea would be the one giant rectangular granny square "pattern"--I just picked up a Bernat free leaflet with one of those on it. I don't have it handy, but see if it's on the Bernat website. The "stair step" pattern (ch 6, dc in the fourth, fifth and sixth chains from the hook, ch 6, turn, do the same thing again then dc around the last dc in the first group, keep going until your eyes cross and you develop a loathing for all yarn products,then begin to decrease one "block" on every row) will also give you a soft afghan fairly fast, especially if you use a bulky yarn. One of my favorites is a mile-a-minute loop and lace afghan you can find on freepatterns.com. It's a baby afghan, but all you need to do is make the strips longer and make more of them, after all.

Don't sell yourself short, though--find a pattern you really like and run with it. You'll surprise yourself.
susi (08-24-2008)
Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

I learned to crochet first and am much faster at it than knitting. To be honest find crocheting more enjoyable than knitting. But I like the look of knitting more.
MsB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsB For This Useful Post:
susi (08-24-2008)
Old 08-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
catlvr
1st Leg of the Journey

nexstitch.com has great videos for stitches, and crochetpatterncentral.com has tons of patterns for squares, afghans etc. Good Luck!!
catlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catlvr For This Useful Post:
MsBehavin (10-01-2008), PurlyGyrl (08-27-2008), susi (08-24-2008)
Old 08-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
leppardess
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to leppardess
Originally Posted by susi View Post
i've literally learnt to crochet last week. im painfully slow at it and not quite at the enjopying stage totally when i go it alone (learnt it one of mitchie's classes and thought iy was great in the class, now slugging off a bit).

i want to make a basic throw type blanket for ds's bed ready for winter. knitted this is a big project for me. woud it be quicker to do crocheted please?

if yes can anyone recomend an idiot proof pattern please?

i've done decreasing sts inc in double stitch and single so far, im not proving to be a quick learner with crochetting (im better at klnitting lol)

anyone got any cluyes please

thank you
If crocheting is new to you, then maybe knitting an afghan might be quicker. But, the suggestions for granny squares or V stitch are good ones. Also, if you use a larger hook (size J or larger), or use multiple strands and an N, P, or Q hook, it'll work up fast.

Mile A Minute patterns are good too.
leppardess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leppardess For This Useful Post:
susi (08-24-2008)