Old 09-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
Karina
Working the Gusset

Plymouth Encore type of yarn you can buy here in 400g balls of yarb. has about 800+meters on them. very cheap and washable it is aran weight which is about the same as worsted weight. have a few of those balls so will use that.
Iwill check out your thread on the charity forum and post progress there. Got your PM

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #32
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
....for some reasons hats and me not get along very well
As a beginner, I was not ready to try hats (still not, really). I looked at quite a few patterns and decided...not yet. BUT...when the project I do rectangles for (HAP) called out for scarf and hat sets for vets, I was determined. I bought a round loom set and was able to make a really simple hat on it to match my scarf. Like I said, it wasn't anything fancy...but, very servicable to keep a head warm.

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #33
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
Originally Posted by nicolejc83 View Post
I just posted about this on the Charity board but I thought I could repost it here considering what this months KAL is. So Here goes

Head Start Kids
Hi All
My dd goes to school at PlayNLearn Head Start with about 100 other children. This pre-school program is offered to lower income families as a means to jump start their education. Being located in Fairbanks, Alaska poses unique challenges to the school. Children must be kept warm while playing outside in weather that often includes snow and temps reaching down to neg 20 degrees F. Many of the children come to school without the proper clothing for playing outside. I am currently working on hats, scarves and mittens to donate. I am blessed to have a MIL who understands the mission and she gives me quite a bit of advice and stash money to keep it going. I was hoping some of you guys might be interested in helping. I would like every child to have a hat and mitten set to take home with them. if your interested let me know and I can post more info.

what a wonderful idea, i wish i had more time, i'm doing sooo much charity stuff now i dont get time to knit for ds or dp anymore. what a great thing though. i started knitting when i was a single parent because i couldnt afford to buy clothes for ds. my gran died and left yarn etc so i had ago. i know there will be a lot of esp single mom's out there that will be very very appricative of eveything you are doing
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #34
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Have you thought of crocheting a hat? Thats how I usually do them. and thanks to everyone volunteering mittens and hats.
I hadn't thought of that...I'm just a beginner with crochet...

Originally Posted by sgtpam View Post
I was determined. I bought a round loom set and was able to make a really simple hat on it to match my scarf. Like I said, it wasn't anything fancy...but, very servicable to keep a head warm.
That's great!!

My hats always end up to big or to small...maybe this year they will fit

I haven't had a chance to even co to the 2nd mitten but I'm hoping to this morning...we are heading out to the library for story time so I should be able to knit for an hour

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #35
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

Quote:
My hats always end up to big or to small...maybe this year they will fit
Maybe go for one for a 4 year old, then if it's too small it may fit a small 3 year old or too big a bigger 5 year old...

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAmaDawn For This Useful Post:
dustinac (09-03-2008)
Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #36
nicolejc83
Ribbing the Cuff

I finished my first pair of mittens yesterday for my dd using plymouth tweed in a purply type yarn. OMG I didn't think it would be so easy. I used the pattern from afgahs to Afgahns.

ON
Two Pair of mittens, scarf for ds, sock for stepmum

574 For Life
nicolejc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #37
Karina
Working the Gusset

I finished my first mitten ever today.

I also used the afghans pattern, or at least that was my intentions. I tried using one strand of worsted yarn and the mittens seemd quite thin when thinking of the - temperatures you quoted in your post. I double stranded the yarn and used a 4mm needle cast on 24 stitches knitted flat for about 1-2 inches and then the same again in the round in 2x2 rib. increased two stitches and then knitted the hand with 26 stitches. I decreased like you do for a sock and did a 3 needle bind-off. Thumb i did as instructed. the glove is quite a firm and thick fabric more like a felted fabric. thought it would take a bit longer for the wet to soak through. The glove is a little big for my 2.5 year old but to small for my 7 year old, so imagine it will fit a 3-4 year old.

wear it long to keep the wrist/arm warm or folded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gloves 003.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	49857

Click image for larger version

Name:	gloves 004.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	49858
Old 09-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #38
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Karina~It looks great

Nicolejc83~ Yay for making a pair and I can't wait to see them!!

MamaDawn~ never thought of that thanks!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
Karina (09-03-2008), nicolejc83 (09-03-2008)
Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #39
nicolejc83
Ribbing the Cuff

Karina, it is like you were reading my mind. I am definitly going to have to make another pair for her as they were very thin. I was thinking of using a bulky yarn or just worsted but making a longer cuff and the bigger size then felting them. IDK what I will do next.

ON
Two Pair of mittens, scarf for ds, sock for stepmum

574 For Life
nicolejc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #40
MainelyKnitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to MainelyKnitting
I finished my first pair of mittens yesterday for my dd using plymouth tweed in a purply type yarn. OMG I didn't think it would be so easy. I used the pattern from afgahs to Afgahns.
First pair, that's great!!
I'm glad that the pattern worked out for you, I use it all the time, with some slight variations in yarn and needle size.

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
I finished my first mitten ever today.

I also used the afghans pattern, or at least that was my intentions. I tried using one strand of worsted yarn and the mittens seemd quite thin
First pair, that's great!!
I thought it was just me with the sizing on those, but now that two of you have said the same thing, I guess it's not just me. I do like the pattern though, and feel it's pretty straightforward for those doing their first pair.

With that pattern, I have used two strands of sport with a size 6 dpn and a ww & sport with the size 7. Depending on the yarn and needles, I have gone as small as a size 4 and as large as a size 8 dpn.

I'm glad to hear that two more people have joined the fun of mittens, I remember my first pair. When I finished my thought was "Why did I think these were going to be so hard"?

My BLOG
MainelyKnitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MainelyKnitting For This Useful Post:
Karina (09-03-2008), nicolejc83 (09-03-2008)