Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #101
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
I like to use a hinged throat-lozenge tin to hold darning needles and stitch markers. It rattles a bit when I use it, but it doesn't fall open or let anything slip out!

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knit2btied For This Useful Post:
cacunn (09-05-2008), KathleenG (02-01-2009), kellybigeyes (09-04-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-05-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #102
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by G J View Post
Shandeh, I'm like you--knit English, but had arm pain UNTIL I learned Portuguese knitting.....
Thanks so much!
By the way, I wore the poncho you gave me this week.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
G J (09-05-2008), kellybigeyes (09-05-2008)
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #103
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
Thanks so much!
By the way, I wore the poncho you gave me this week.
Hi

Thanks so much for the link to Amy's Glossary of terms. It's one of those things I "knew" about, but I'd forgotten it was there! This was a great reminder! Very thoughtful of you to include it in your post!

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (09-05-2008), Shandeh (09-05-2008)
Old 09-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #104
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Thanks so much for the link to Amy's Glossary of terms. It's one of those things I "knew" about, but I'd forgotten it was there! This was a great reminder! Very thoughtful of you to include it in your post!
Ruthie
You're welcome Ruthie!
I've added it to my signature, so it will show every time I post. I love that feature, and use it often. I just think we should take advantage of all the work that Amy has already done here in the forum. She's the BEST!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
KathleenG (02-01-2009), kellybigeyes (09-05-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-07-2008)
Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #105
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

My sentiments exactly!

People who watch me knit always say, "You know, you could knit faster if you used the Continental method". To which I reply, "I ENJOY knitting English style, and I'm not in a hurry."

I'm not giving up hope at knitting faster...but, I already knit continental...maybe I'll try that Portugal style, too.

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtpam For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (09-06-2008)
Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #106
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I use a Tic Tac container like knit2betied said about the throat lozenge tin to hold darning needles and such....

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAmaDawn For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (09-06-2008), knit2btied (09-06-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-07-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #107
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
My sentiments exactly!

People who watch me knit always say, "You know, you could knit faster if you used the Continental method". To which I reply, "I ENJOY knitting English style, and I'm not in a hurry."

There's no reason for me to RACE when I'm knitting. I want to RELAX when I knit. Plus, I like seeing each stitch form, with careful attention.
Hi, Shandeh!

I wanted particularly to write and thank you for your comments above. It really gave me a boost!

I'm always looking for more efficient, and faster, ways to get projects done. I set myself a goal when I "re-discovered" knitting last year, of making afghans for each of my close family members. Right now, I'm on #8 of 9. It's been challenging, for sure, and I learned tons along the way. (KH has been particularly helpful, as has this forum.)

Maybe because the recipients of the afghans are so tickled to get one (and those still waiting are dropping BIG hints about where their afghans are!) I got a little too focused on speeding right along!

BUT, when I read your post, it put me back in touch with the true pleasures of the work. I remembered the magic of making something beautiful with what virtually amounts to sticks and "string", the magic we all call knitting!

I've been working on learning to knit socks, something that interested me and that wasn't as mammoth as an afghan. I LOVE knitting socks, but my first couple of pair weren't exactly spectacular, which I guess is to be expected in a way since I was just learning.

I'd just started my third pair of socks when I read your post and decided to really watch "each stitch form, with careful attention."

The results have been amazing! I've had trouble with the other two pairs getting them the same length at the cuff and at the sole. But having paid attention to how the stitches were forming it was possible for me to get an accurate count of rows. Now, as I'm coming down the stretch on the second sock of the pair, it's actually becoming a "twin" of the first!

And I've enjoyed the process so much, being mindful of the peace and serenity that comes with noticing all the little details and enjoying them.

Of course, I like to move right along on projects. After all, there are so many socks (hats, scarves, afghans, etc.) and so little time! Added to which, now that I'm winding up the afghans, the clan will start barking for socks next!

But I don't think I'll ever get caught up in the "speed trap" again. Thanks for sharing that wonderful bit of wisdom!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (09-08-2008), salmonmac (04-21-2011), Shandeh (09-08-2008), sunshinejp (11-19-2009)
Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #108
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
My sentiments exactly!

There's no reason for me to RACE when I'm knitting. I want to RELAX when I knit. Plus, I like seeing each stitch form, with careful attention.

Also, I have constant pain in my arms, so I can't do Continental knitting anyway.
If they are in a hurry they can go to Wal-Mart, If they want a hand made custom item of knit wear they can wait.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
fizzle (01-25-2009), kellybigeyes (09-08-2008), knittynewbie (03-03-2009), RuthieinMaryland (09-09-2008), Shandeh (09-08-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #109
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi, Shandeh!
I wanted particularly to write and thank you for your comments above. It really gave me a boost!
........I'd just started my third pair of socks when I read your post and decided to really watch "each stitch form, with careful attention.".................
The results have been amazing! ..........having paid attention to how the stitches were forming it was possible for me to get an accurate count of rows..................And I've enjoyed the process so much, being mindful of the peace and serenity that comes with noticing all the little details and enjoying them.
But I don't think I'll ever get caught up in the "speed trap" again. Thanks for sharing that wonderful bit of wisdom!
I'm glad I could help!
Enjoy your knitting, my friend.

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
If they are in a hurry they can go to Wal-Mart, If they want a hand made custom item of knit wear they can wait.
Exactly!!

Back when I first started knitting, my mother asked me to make her a furry scarf. So I did. She wore it to church, and all of a sudden, I had about a HUNDRED orders for furry scarves!

I very quickly lost the love of furry scarves. And I felt like I was working in a knitting factory. It was a drag. I hated every minute of it.

Someone would say, "I want a pink furry scarf with white edges" or "I want a black scarf with purple fringe, and a hat to match". I was beginning to HATE knitting.

So, I told my mother I was "no longer taking any orders". She didn't understand why I didn't want to make money with my knitting. I said, "I'm not knitting to make money. I'm knitting for the FUN of it."

Now, I LOVE knitting again, and I knit whatever I want!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (09-08-2008), nephthys8 (09-09-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-09-2008), rywillmom (03-14-2009)
Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #110
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

I haven't read the entire thread so if my suggestion is a repeat, please over look it.

I scan my pattern and take it into WORD or WORKS. I then place spaces between each row, enlarge the text, and highlight the parts that are to be repeated between * and *. I can then check off each row as I finish it and the pattern is much easier to read.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post:
ajsgramma (11-08-2009), Debkcs (09-09-2008), kellybigeyes (09-08-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-09-2008)