Old 09-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #111
losnana
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
I haven't read the entire thread so if my suggestion is a repeat, please over look it.

I scan my pattern and take it into WORD or WORKS. I then place spaces between each row, enlarge the text, and highlight the parts that are to be repeated between * and *. I can then check off each row as I finish it and the pattern is much easier to read.
I'm such a dolt: I ALWAYS do this with recipes, but never thought to do it with knitting patterns!! I certainly will in the future.
Thanks for such a good tip!
kellybigeyes (09-09-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-09-2008), Sarahc409 (09-25-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #112
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by losnana View Post
I'm such a dolt: I ALWAYS do this with recipes, but never thought to do it with knitting patterns!! I certainly will in the future.
Thanks for such a good tip!

Not a dolt, busy.

We often file things based on how we first were introduced to it. As you walk through the hardware store, food store, garden shop and look at thing thing how could I use that in my needle craft? Would the "O" rings for the kitchen sink faucets work for markers? Could I take a section of PVC pipe and make a double point needle holder?

We often have so many things going that we don't stop and take a second look.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
AmyV (10-05-2010), kellybigeyes (09-09-2008), nephthys8 (09-09-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-10-2008), Woofens (06-13-2013)
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #113
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
"Saving" yarn!
Hi!

I knit swatches like a good little knitter should, but I read somewhere that it's not such a good idea to unravel the swatch and re-knit with the yarn.

Well, some of the sock yarns I've been buying are a bit costly and I kept feeling like I was wasting a chunk of yarn and accumulating bunches of swatches.

I'm probably the last person on this planet to figure out the following, and if so, please bear with me!

I learned to wind a center-pull ball from Amy's video and it works like a charm. Usually when I get to the end of a sock I've got yarn left over, so I just pull the yarn for the swatch from the outside of the ball. Then when I'm finished the swatch I note down the gauge and needles and unravel the swatch, wrapping it back around the outside of the ball. When I go to knit the sock I work with the new yarn from the center pull. I'm sure this would work with a skein that's already wound with a center pull.

I'd really like to hear how you all handled the swatch/yarn issue.

Thanks!
Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
Jaxhil (11-04-2008), kellybigeyes (09-10-2008), nanasaidso (08-28-2012), rywillmom (03-14-2009)
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #114
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Keeping track...
Hi!

Since my knitting fever has increased, I've been ordering a lot of yarn and needles, etc. and trying to get some organization for all the wondrous things coming in the door.

One thing I did was get a 3-ring binder with dividers to corral my "stuff". One section is nothing but receipts for various items. I use a three-hole punch for the large shipping sheets that come with a lot of my orders and then just pop them in the binder. You can three-hole-punch a zip-loc bag and use that for the smaller receipts.

This has come in handy a couple of times now. Once, I wanted to know how much I paid for a particular type of yarn and sure enough, there it was listed right on one of my receipts. Then I could immediately go right to the source and order more, or compare the price to another sale I saw.

Also, when I had to get a replacement for a couple of needles that were damaged and that I didn't notice right away, I could just page back and find the receipt. I called Knit Picks (they were wonderful!) and was able to give them the date and transaction number on the original purchase. A few days later the replacement needles arrived!

Now all I have to do in organize my stash! This century...

Happy knitting,

Ruthie
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
cacunn (09-16-2008), Indygirl (09-22-2008), kellybigeyes (09-16-2008), Shandeh (09-16-2008)
Old 09-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #115
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Hi, out there!
Hi!

Just wanted to give this thread a little bump! I'm missing all the great ideas you've all been sharing.

Ruthie
Old 09-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #116
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi!
Just wanted to give this thread a little bump! I'm missing all the great ideas you've all been sharing.
Ruthie
I just made it a "sticky", so it will always be at the top!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
DorothyDot (10-05-2008), Jaxhil (11-04-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-22-2008), sgtpam (09-22-2008)
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #117
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Yarn control...
Hi!

Since I'm still learning my way around the mechanics of the site, I had no idea about putting up a sticky! Shandeh, you're great!

Thanks so much! I've enjoyed reading the hints everyone has been sending, and being able to share what I've been discovering.

This one really made my day...

I've been trying to learn to knit socks two at a time on two circulars (and I'll work on two at a time on one circ after I've untangled myself from two!).

The one thing that was so irritating about this was that the two balls of yarn had a mind of their own. I put each one in a separate zip loc bag after clipping a corner out and threading the yarn through the hole. This helped but every time I had to turn the needles I had to also flip the two bags. Being in a zip loc, too, meant that they were a bit slippery and had a tendency to fall off the sofa, etc.

Finally I took a gallon sized zip-loc bag and revved up the sewing machine. I creased the bag lengthwise down the center so I'd have a guideline then ran a row of zig-zag stitching down the center of the bag. (Straight stitch would probably just perforate the seam and weaken it, so I used the zig zag.)

You can then clip the bottom corners and thread the yarn through, or put the thread in the two compartments, draw it through the outside corners at the top and seal up only the center section. (Out the top only works if you're using a bag that doesn't have the little zipper sealer, but only the channels for sealing.)

Now when I turn the piece I only have to grab the bag by a corner and flip it over. If I flip it over the wrong way, it's simple to give it a couple more flips and I'm back on track with untangled yarn!

It eliminated an annoyance and distraction for me and I was able to concentrate on actually knitting the socks!

It occured to me that this would also work well on any project that requires more than one ball of yarn.

If you REALLY want to get fancy, or need more "pockets" for more colors you could stitch up something from fabric that will hold more (or bigger) skeins of yarn. But as a quick fix, the zip locks worked a treat!

Thanks again, Shandeh, for making this a stickey!

Ruthie
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
ajsgramma (11-08-2009), AmyV (10-05-2010), bundlesaurus (03-30-2009), Debkcs (10-05-2008), Indygirl (09-22-2008), KathleenG (02-01-2009), kellybigeyes (09-22-2008), momwolf (09-29-2008), Sarahc409 (09-25-2008), Shandeh (09-22-2008)
Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #118
Sarahc409
Ribbing the Cuff

My tip is: How to get rid of the bump of color when you are knitting a ribbed pattern and you have to change colors.
For example: if you are making ribbed socks with stripes and you want your trasition to be smoothly without the bump of the other color.
Solution: I simply always knit the first row of the new color and on the second row and all the other rows I continue with my rib pattern (ie; kk pp kk pp)

Hope I was able to be clear enough

Sarah
Sarahc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarahc409 For This Useful Post:
Jaxhil (11-04-2008), kellybigeyes (10-04-2008), RuthieinMaryland (09-25-2008)
Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #119
DeeJay
Casting On

I have the attention span of a flea, but decided to try a shawl...
It was fun in the beginning, since I was using it to practice increasing, but I grew sick of it as it got bigger. So I went shopping for some nice yarn for a scarf. Now when I get sick of my bigger project, I just put it down, knit a bit (or a lot) of a scarf. After feeling like I've accomplished something, it's easier to pick up the bigger project.

The other thing I've done is found a large(er) material bag and put all supplies I'll be needing for the project in it. I'm starting a top that uses two different needle sizes and needs safty pins, so those plus all the yarn needed for it, a notepad and pen (for keeping track of rows) and a printout of the pattern are in that bag. Means I wont be picking up that yarn or those needles for something else just to discover that I needed them.

I bought more moisteriser the other day, I had also bought my first safty pins and wool needles. I had no where to put the pins and needles though that would stop me from loosing 90% of them. Then I looked at the moisteriser box. Out came a large roll of masking tape to tape up the bottom of the box and in went the pins and needles (still in their plastic holder). Now I dont have to worry about losing so many.
I should do the same thing with my hairties... next time I get a box
Latest FO: Scarf + beanie combo
Planned to do:More baby stuff, more scarves (for me this time I swear), learn to crochet (at least a basic granny square)
DeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeeJay For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (10-04-2008), kellybigeyes (10-04-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-04-2008)
Old 10-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #120
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suewoz View Post
Cables are pretty easy to do. I like the cable needle with the dip in the middle. I got them at the LYS. Don't remember what brand. They are a little bit more time comsuming that straight knitting but well worth it.

Love the red sweater and I sure can't see anything that indicates there ever was a mistake. Great job.
My favorite cable needle is... [drum-roll] a bent bobby-pin. No kidding! You can loop it through your work to keep it always handy because it has that dip in the middle; you put your cable stitches onto it via the wavy-bent tip, then knit those stitches off the smooth side - no worry about twisting!

And if you lose it or one of those end-cushionomg thingys come off, you just... grab another bobby pin and spread it open!

Best of all is the price.

Hope this helps,
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
AmyV (10-05-2010), G J (10-05-2008), kellybigeyes (10-05-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-06-2008), Sherik (12-08-2008)