Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I have bery long hair and use hair bands EVERY day, I am definately going to start cutting them and checking.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by stitchwitch View Post
No surprise from a country that has poisoned over 13,000 of their own children from inferior food manufacturing.
Just think of the many people who held those hair things in their mouths while they pulled their hair up to secure it!
Oh My God.... that is so horrifying!!!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
I don't see why it's so gross... they say they are using the factory rejects... it gets confusing but it seems pretty clear they aren't using actually USED condoms... How would they even GET used condoms? lol

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...nt_6251535.htm
"Many sellers have refused to reveal where they got their products and whether they had been made from recycled condoms, saying it was commercial secret.
But insiders said some of the rubber bands and hair ties could have been made from imported overseas rubbish. Local entertainment venues were also said to have contributed condoms."
Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by stitchwitch View Post
No surprise from a country that has poisoned over 13,000 of their own children from inferior food manufacturing.
Ya know all countries don't have the means to make the finest quality hair bands. Let's not disparage a whole country because they have more poor people trying to make a buck. Some might say we're a country using war to make a buck.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feministmama For This Useful Post:
willowangel (09-26-2008)
Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Sadly in China it isn't the poor people who are making a buck, they continue to live work and be paid on a sub standard scale.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by feministmama View Post
Ya know all countries don't have the means to make the finest quality hair bands. Let's not disparage a whole country because they have more poor people trying to make a buck. Some might say we're a country using war to make a buck.
This is China they're talking about not Malawi.
Anything you want to say bad about us can be said many times worse for China, including war.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
cheley
Working the Gusset

Holy --it!!!! Used condoms? Can they really transmit anything after being re-cycled? Gosh, we need an expert to "chime in" on this one!!!
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Holy --it!!!! Used condoms? Can they really transmit anything after being re-cycled? Gosh, we need an expert to "chime in" on this one!!!
I would think the end consumer would not be in that much of a risk. I know HepB and C will live on hard surfaces for less than 7 days and HIV starts to die as soon as it hits air. The other uglies like warts, gonorrhea and the like I'm not sure of, it's been awhile since I had to take any cross contamination classes since i got out of dentistry about 8 years ago. I'm guessing they die off pretty quick too and if I remember correctly it was HepB that was the one who lived longest on hard surfaces. For what it's worth, it is pretty hard to acquire any of the big guys like HIV and HepB,C unless you have a pretty direct means of transportation like needle stick, open sore, etc. It's not to say it can't happen though.
I would think those that collect these goodies from the entertainment venues and such that they are getting them from would have a higher chance of infection of some sort unless they are geared up pretty good against exposure and I'm betting they aren't.
At any rate, anything made from used condoms is gross no matter what type of picture you want to paint of it. One has to think who was the first person to suggest that idea and how did they even think of it?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #19
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I asked a Internal Med Dr that I worked with what the risk was and he siad other than it being gross, not much. He did say that the "workers" who handle them are at a greater risk than consumers, assuming the condoms are "fresher"

But I am happy to report I went on a rampage cutting up an assortment of elastic bands from my hair box and didn't find a condom in any of them!!!!