Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Luvmyrottnboy View Post
Goldens are wonderful dogs but have been bred so much and so indiscriminately that they (like a lot of other "popular" breeds) can have all sorts of medical or temperament problems.

A canine oncologist at my dog's clinic told me that cancer has become a huge problem with Goldens. Not to mentiion the joint issues any large poorly bred dog is prone to.

That is not to say you shouldn't get a pup. But unless it comes from a Code of Ethics breeder or a reputable rescue organization do NOT pay a penny for the pup.

A code of ethics breeder will: Have OFA/heart/health clearances for dam and sire. The dam and sire will have been proven in a show, obedience or agility ring. A code of ethics breeder will guarantee your pup for life. In other words, if you decide 2-3 years down the line you can't keep the dog, a COE breeder will take it back. Most COE breeders are found at dog shows and events. A code of ethics breeder will interview you, your family and ensure you own your house or have landlord approval.

When we pay money to a BYB or to a pet store we are financing them and encouraging them to continue, consequently keeping the shelters full.

OK, off the soapbox!
The Golden breeder I know that bred the high priced show stock paid something like $1000 for semen from a completely tested "best in show" winner. His dog was completely tested.
He still got some dogs back for hip problems. Problems that were so bad they showed up very quickly.

Are you really going to turn a dog over that you've had for 5-8 years, or even 2-3 years???

IMO it's the types of breeders you recommend that have caused the problems. They're the ones who've overbred trying to create that perfect show dog without a care for sticking to what the breeds are supposed to be. The show breeders have ruined countless breeds, so much that certain breeds have a show line and a working line that barely resemble each other.
They bash the BYB in order to line their own pockets when a BYB creating one litter in the life of a dog is not the one flooding the gene pool with a certain set of genes like the professional breeders are.

For a hunting breed I would stay far away from the show ring breeders. That is where you're more likely to end up with the temperament issues

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
nephthys8

Originally Posted by iza View Post
The only problem my brother had with his Golden is that he had separation anxiety, and because of that he chewed a lot of stuff in the house.
This is true for BF's Golden, also. If BF leaves the house and I stay home, his dog barks for a while after he leaves and then spends the whole time he is gone next to the front window so he knows the exact second that BF is home (he can see BF's parking space outside from this vantage point). Also, I swear that the dog gives ME dirty looks when BF is gone... like it is my fault that he's not home. He's past the chewing stage, though, so at least nothing gets destroyed.

ETA: The shedding is out of control because of the dog, too. We have hardwood floors on our main level and we seriously have big fur "tumbleweeds" floating around most of the time, even after cleaning the house the day before. This might just be me, but living with BF has put me off ever wanting to have a Golden. Since I doubt BF and I will be together forever (different story), I'm not too concerned about this being a problem.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Mike View Post
The Golden breeder I know that bred the high priced show stock paid something like $1000 for semen from a completely tested "best in show" winner. His dog was completely tested.
He still got some dogs back for hip problems. Problems that were so bad they showed up very quickly.

Are you really going to turn a dog over that you've had for 5-8 years, or even 2-3 years???

IMO it's the types of breeders you recommend that have caused the problems. They're the ones who've overbred trying to create that perfect show dog without a care for sticking to what the breeds are supposed to be. The show breeders have ruined countless breeds, so much that certain breeds have a show line and a working line that barely resemble each other.
They bash the BYB in order to line their own pockets when a BYB creating one litter in the life of a dog is not the one flooding the gene pool with a certain set of genes like the professional breeders are.

For a hunting breed I would stay far away from the show ring breeders. That is where you're more likely to end up with the temperament issues

I agree that certain show ring breeders have ruined breeds. I am not talking about show breeders, I am talking Code of Ethics.

Dogs "proven" in show,obedience or agility have a proven temperament.

Also, as stated in my post, a COE breeder has clearances on hips/elbows, heart and eyes on both sire and dam. Of course a bad hip or entropian may pop up in a litter but the odds go way down if all health clearances are done.

Again, you are right, most folks will not part with a dog after 2 or 3 years but if they MUST, say a major life change or disaster makes it impossible for a person to keep their dog, a COE breeder will take the dog back.

COE breeders charge more becuase it costs money to ensure the health of the sire and dam. It costs a lot to whelp a litter properly.

A BYB will breed 2 purebreds and that is where it ends. They will sell to anyone with $$$ without a care as to what the living conditions are (ie, does the landlord know? does the rest of the family know or even want a dog? Will homeowners insurance premiums go up or even be canceled?)

My dog is a rescue. A very poorly bred Rottweiler who has hip and elbow displaysia, entopian (he had surgery for it), and a long coat.
He was originally sold to a naive single mom by a BYB who told her she could "make a fortune in stud fees" because he was a "rare long haired Rottweiler". $$$$$$$$$$ was the root of evil on the part of the BYB AND the buyer.

Personally I think rescue is the way to go, but I understand how anyone can fall in love with a breed. But if you love a breed I feel you should be vigilant on preserving the breed standard for the sake of the breed and not for the $$$

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
miccisue
Turning the Heel

I've had Goldens for years, and have been extremely happy with the breed. Mine have all had excellent temperments (and they came from different breeders, so it wasn't just because of the dogs who were bred), are extremely smart (not to be confused with "goofy", which they also tend to be, and hang on to their puppyhood for a LONG time), and very people oriented.

We had one who had a severe hip dysplasia problem, but we had surgery done on her and had her for 13 years (her hips were so bad they showed up when she was 10 months old - after the first time she'd jumped into a pond for a swim). I have a 9 year old now, who alternates between calm and total goofiness. She loves kids (even though I don't have any, the people I work with do, and she adores them!), and people in general.

Yeah, they shed like crazy, but I think anyone with a pet (unless it's one of the hairless breeds) has that problem. To me, the returns you get from having the pet far outweigh the shedding thing.

Do your research, talk to people locally who have Goldens and look into the reputations of breeders they recommend, check out Golden rescue groups.....I couldn't recommend a breed more highly, myself. Just remember that each dog, like each person, has their own personality. You can generalize characteristics, but they are all unique.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miccisue For This Useful Post:
cookworm (09-26-2008)
Old 09-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I don't have one either, but the ones I've known have been loving, playful and friendly dogs. I've always wanted one myself and in my research both Labs and Goldens both have some issues with hip dysplasia.

Some humans are mean and dumb and animals are no different. If you treat both well with love and training they both turn out just fine most of the time.

Here's a few websites that are fun to look at and might provide a little insight, too.
http://www.comparecanines.com/
http://www.glowdog.com/bestdog/

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
cookworm (09-26-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Silver
Instepping Out

I used to have a golden. He was very smart and sweet but suffered from a terrible case of separation anxiety (due to me babying him when he was a puppy, and letting him sleep with us in the bedroom). Goldens are very social and high energy. They need a long brisk walk daily. They're smart, eager to learn and love to play fetch.

Just a note, any dog can have anxieties, mean temperaments, destructive behavior and disobedience regardless of the breed. All dogs need structure and training if you want them to be well behaved. No dog is well behaved by breeding alone.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
cookworm (09-26-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #17
knitspin2001
Ribbing the Cuff

You've had a Lab so you really have a good idea. Basically similar temperament. Any breed can have a mean streak which I think is what your husband experienced. They need lots of exercise and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE people!!

We are on our second retriever. Wouldn't have any other kind of dog!! Most lovable and friendly dogs I've had (had 2 Shelties before that, talk about hyperactive and yappy!!).

Only real drawback versus a Lab is Retrievers shed and I do mean SHED!! So, if you don't want little piles of tumble weed looking hair floating around, better rethink. Your vaccuum has to be out daily. Only complaint I have.

HTH,
Marilyn
knitspin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitspin2001 For This Useful Post:
cookworm (09-26-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
Hygiene Mama
Knitting the Flap

We bought a purebread golden retriever on Mother's Day, he was 8 weeks old. He was so nice and snuggly with the kids. But, after a little while, he got pretty hyper. I think he would've been a good dog, but he passed away 7/31/08 after being neutered. They don't know what happened. 5 days later we end up with another golden and he's wonderful! He's about 10 months old. He was a stray dog that came into our lives. He lets my son crawl all over him and doesn't even budge. I will never consider getting another breed. I think they're the most beautiful dogs. They do shed a lot though, as you're probably used to from labs. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

I Finally have a ravelry page:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SandyRDH
Hygiene Mama is offline   Reply With Quote