Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
That is ridiculous. You could make more at Wal-Mart. Personally, I couldn't do your job (as baby sitting). I love kids, but I couldn't take it all day. Too bad we don't have more teachers like you that really care and it's a shame that some get so much and others get so little.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Teachers aren't underpaid around me. I think they start at $30K. Then they go back for a Masters and get more. And more again for a PHD.
Not really that bad for a 9 month job that is nearly impossible to lose after you've had it for 2 years.
Tell that to the 200 plus teachers who got pink-slipped this last year, most of them tenured. It is a myth that teachers can't be fired.

"Those with Master's degrees get paid $65 per day." Auburnchick you are so right and at least here in Califronia, they say it's a negative to get your Master's unless you have a tenured postition (which as I've said is no longer a guarantee here anymore) because then it's near impossible to find a teaching job because they don't want to pay the higher salary.

I'm a paraprofessional and I think it's so funny that we aren't supposed to be in a classroom without a teacher as well. I work in the adult ed program and not really in a classroom but a resource room. I make half of what the teachers make an hour and while I love the teachers I work with, there isn't a day that goes by when they aren't calling on me to show them how to "fill in the blank".

I'm so glad to hear your dedication to teaching and if you're good and it sounds like you are getting a good reputation, you will probably end up with as much work as you want. I know here the good subs work darn near full time! Thank you for being a teacher, it is a calling and you obviously have it.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
scout52 (10-10-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I feel your pain...

When I left the theatre I was working (Jun 08) I was able to take my severance as they were laying us off in excess of 13 weeks. I am getting married and moving away so I thought, good, I will take it.

After 10 years, I ended up with a considerable amount less then I thought... it turned out, the severance was based on my average salary (not my current) and mulitiplied by 10.

Average salary, So, 2 years I ushered at half of my current salary, and the last 3 or 4 years of on again, off again work, boiled down to a really lousy pay out!

At least you can say you liked what you were doing *smiles*

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #14
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by lelvsdgs View Post
Tell that to the 200 plus teachers who got pink-slipped this last year, most of them tenured. It is a myth that teachers can't be fired.
Oh, our district had massive layoffs at the end of last school year due to a huge budget reduction. Our county voted to reduce the millage rate, which helped taxpayers but negatively affected the school system, which was already strapped to begin with.

I think that the district and state will rue their actions and will restore things back to how they were ($$-wise) next year. In the meantime, people like me wait, and wait, and wait.

God's timing is perfect though, and I trust Him to provide.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #15
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

I'm right there with ya, Nathalie. I'm an elementary assistant, and both my parents are teachers, so I know the system. We have a handfull of subs who are at our school practically every day. The good thing about subbing is that you get your foot in the door. Foster those relationships that you're forming with the teachers you see a lot. They'll put in a good word for you and keep their ears open as well. If you ask me, nobody in education (teachers and such) is paid enough. We put up with a lot of really bad stuff and "the powers that be" are so much out of touch that they just can't understand. Out of sight, out of mind.

I hope you find something soon. As for me, I'm going to go enjoy the rest of my track out.

eta: Just saw what you posted about layoffs. My school has more kids this year (in fact, two of the three single tracks were doubled), yet we don't have enough to keep all the staff we had last year. There were two new assistants that they got rid of before I even tracked in for this year. I never met them. I'm just glad our principal helped them get jobs at other schools. Our second grade classes are now sharing assistants. There's even two kindergarten classes that are sharing an assistant. That's just wrong. Somebody needs to educate the powers that be.

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #16
kristaj
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Teachers aren't underpaid around me. I think they start at $30K. Then they go back for a Masters and get more. And more again for a PHD.
Not really that bad for a 9 month job that is nearly impossible to lose after you've had it for 2 years.
I don't usually get into this debate because people have their minds made up about it and they usually can't be changed, but I've had a bad day in my classroom so this time I changed my mind.

First of all, Nathalie you are completely right, subs are shamefully underpaid! They are doing the exact same job as teachers with very little to show for it. I also have never seen the point of giving subs a different pay for their level of education. Its a hard job no matter how much or how little you get paid for it.

Now, to the teachers not being underpaid. First of all teachers work 10 months out of the year now, not 9 and contrary to popular belief they don't get paid for those two months. Second, those two months that we supposedly have off we spend in workshops and college classes so that we can keep our certification and prepare for the next school year. We also have to pay for those college classes. A lot of professions out there pay for their employees to go back to school. Third, I generally work 10 to 11 hours a day not counting grading papers at home on the weekend. Most teachers I know do the same. So it is not the 8 hour job most people think it is. So if you divide the $30K that was mentioned by the number of days worked, then by the number of hours worked a teacher makes about $16 an hour. That does not take into account the money that is lost by buying supplies for their classrooms out of their own pockets. When you look at other professions with the same amount or less of education it doesn't even compare.

I will now also step off my soapbox.

Last edited by kristaj : 10-06-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Math mistake - oops!
kristaj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kristaj For This Useful Post:
scout52 (10-10-2008)
Old 10-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #17
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I don't know of any other job where you have to spend your own money in order to do the job well

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #18
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

You have my sympathy. It does seem that the more valuable job you have the less you should be expected to be paid. As my mother has said "They have a calling, they shouldn't expect more money". Says who? What is more valuable than educating the next generation or taking care of the ill and infirm?
I think people have screwy priorities when executives can make millions because of who they know while contributing next to nothing for the "common good" while those who go into fields of work that benefit society are expected to just scrape by.
Jumps off soap box.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
I am a sub, I love what I do, and feel SO very under qualified
I am an RN with my Nursing degree and 4 classes short of a BS in Biology
I am not organized like the teachers I cover for, and every
one has their own way of setting up for me (if any)
some keep things where they belong and leave a list for me to seach and find
some leave me a list on top of a pile of stuff I am supposed to only use what is in the pile
some leave me movies or tests to give
I always try to find things to do during "prep" time, make copies, help other teachers, something to earn my pay (no matter how much or little it is I am being paid to do that work)
I do appreciate the money
but I do not do the job for the money, I do it to support the school. although I M working on maybe getting some college credits to shore up my education in this area
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #20
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kristaj View Post
I don't usually get into this debate because people have their minds made up about it and they usually can't be changed, but I've had a bad day in my classroom so this time I changed my mind.

First of all, Nathalie you are completely right, subs are shamefully underpaid! They are doing the exact same job as teachers with very little to show for it. I also have never seen the point of giving subs a different pay for their level of education. Its a hard job no matter how much or how little you get paid for it.

Now, to the teachers not being underpaid. First of all teachers work 10 months out of the year now, not 9 and contrary to popular belief they don't get paid for those two months. Second, those two months that we supposedly have off we spend in workshops and college classes so that we can keep our certification and prepare for the next school year. We also have to pay for those college classes. A lot of professions out there pay for their employees to go back to school. Third, I generally work 10 to 11 hours a day not counting grading papers at home on the weekend. Most teachers I know do the same. So it is not the 8 hour job most people think it is. So if you divide the $30K that was mentioned by the number of days worked, then by the number of hours worked a teacher makes about $16 an hour. That does not take into account the money that is lost by buying supplies for their classrooms out of their own pockets. When you look at other professions with the same amount or less of education it doesn't even compare.

I will now also step off my soapbox.
I agreed that subs are underpaid, and that's probably because they are looked at as little more than baby sitters.

Teachers are paid a salary. That salary is equal to what other blue collar (and many white collar) people make in a whole year.
Teachers around here that are going back for workships and college classes are doing it to increase their pay, not keep their certification. Like I said, once you have tenure it's hard to lose the job.
Many teacher I knew spent those 3 months working other jobs (different states have different school years). I even knew one teacher that worked at a cannery in the fall, which means he wasn't putting in 11 hour days at the school.

$16/hr is pretty good pay to start out with no experience.
I think if you looked at what people with 4 year degrees are getting fresh out of college you would find that $30K/yr is doing pretty good.

I agree, teachers should not be buying supplies out of their own pockets. And if the ones who waste budget money so they can keep their budget higher than they need would not do that perhaps there would be more for those who don't have enough of a budget.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote