Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Fleece Corps
Casting On

Lace weight vs sock/fingering weight yarn
I've never used lace weight yarn, and wonder if it can be used to knit socks...? How does the thickness of lace yarn compare to sock yarn? What size needles are typically used to knit lace weight yarn?
Thanks!
Fleece Corps is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's not so much the thickness of the sock yarn that makes it different from laceweight, but the fiber and construction too. Lace yarn is fairly light and less twisted than other yarns; sock yarns are usually sturdier with more of a twist so they stand up to the wear you need.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Personally, I wouldn't recommend lace yarn for socks. I think it would wear out very quickly and come out of shape also,...

As to the thickness, it depends. Lace weight refers to a wide variety of thicknesses in yarn. You can have "thicker" or "thinner" laceweight. It's a broad term.

As to the needles, you use much larger needles than you would need for the thickness of the yarn to get a lacier, airier finished garment. I have never tried knitting lace on small diameter needles, and probably never will, but you would need very thin needles.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote