Old 10-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
InterNette
Turning the Heel

I purchased the needles and the book and so on. I however never got around to signing up for the class but meant to. I like DPN myself as well. I did learn the two circulars and I dont like it either. I thought it wasnt at all comfortable for me and well it would cost a fortune in all the size lengths in pairs to make socks in smaller sizes. I just didnt think they were neat and orderly and any easier at all.
(I wont tell you that YOU TUBE has Cat Bordi herself teaching a 3 part video on how to do it and it is free.)
Always search online for what you want to learn before signing up that way if you do take a class you know there was no other way around it and well you can always teach someone else in a barter or trade situation. You can say for sure without reservation that your prefer method for socks is a DPN and know your making them the best way for you, that peace of mind can be priceless really.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InterNette For This Useful Post:
hartleystudio (10-15-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-15-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
teachermom
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree...gotta do what works for you...

I'm a dpn gal all the way and I love my bamboo needles. I know that some don't like the bamboo and I'll be honest, I hate breaking in a new pair. It seems to me the more I use them, the smoother they get, the new ones start out a bit gritty.

I've always been interested in trying the 2 socks at once, but I haven't gotten around to trying it at all. I keep hearing that the addie needles are great - I'm hoping to try a friends before I make the investment.

Don't feel guilty - I think you'll find that a lot of people don't do the extra's but actually do save and from time to time do something that they think they will be interested in. Chalk it up as experience - you tried it and like it/don't like it and then go on with your hobby the way that works for you.

Happy knitting

FO's: garterstitch scarf, dropped stitch cable fingerless mittens, socks for Christmas, and 6 baby hats, cabled toddler hat, hat for mom, MIL socks

My blog: http://knitquiltmom.blogspot.com/

I'm knitquiltmom on Ravelry... I'm slowly loading my projects. I also have several patterns that are being offered as free downloads.
teachermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teachermom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
LovelyLinda
1st Leg of the Journey

I took a toe up sock class which taught the magic loop method. It was a bit expensive, needles, class and yarn. I completed the class and the socks. However I don't really like the socks as they used the wrap method at the heel which left holes at the gusset no matter how tightly I tried to knit.

I can chalk this up to experience because I now know that I'm not really a fan of magic loop, it just felt a little fiddly to me. I like my DPNs. But at least I've tried it and know how to do it if I ever need to in the future.

I think its good to try different methods that way you know what you like and what you don't.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
This might help...
Hi!

When I was teaching myself two at a time socks on two circs, I found it incredibly awkward! One of the main reasons was because of the TWO balls of yarn. I had them in plastic zip loc bags to try to help keep them coralled, but they just slipped and slid all over the place! Very distracting, but I LOVED the idea of the two at a time, so I looked for a way to make it easier.

My solution? I took a gallon size zip loc, creased it in the middle lengthwise, and then ran a line of zig-zag stitch right along the crease down the middle. (I thought straight stitch might cause the line to perforate so I used zig zag.) Then I had two pouches for my yarn in one bag! You can either cut a little hole in the bottom corners and thread the yarn through or run the yarn out the corners at the top and seal up just the center part of the channel. (If you're using a zip loc without the zipper sealer, just the channels) Either way, once you've got the yarn manageable, it's so much easier to concentrate on and enjoy the knitting.

When you turn your work, just grab a corner of the bag and give it a quick flip. If you flip it the wrong way, a couple more flips puts you back on track!

Hope this helps!
Happy knitting,

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
hartleystudio (10-15-2008)
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #15
janettle
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by hartleystudio View Post
... But, $100!!!! My husband was so great about it, so supportive, but I feel bad! It's so much money and we are tight now that groceries are, like, a million dollars a week...
I totally understand the money-guilt thing - kind of like spending money on a gym membership I'm not using.
janettle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janettle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi!

When I was teaching myself two at a time socks on two circs, I found it incredibly awkward! One of the main reasons was because of the TWO balls of yarn. I had them in plastic zip loc bags to try to help keep them coralled, but they just slipped and slid all over the place! Very distracting, but I LOVED the idea of the two at a time, so I looked for a way to make it easier.

My solution? I took a gallon size zip loc, creased it in the middle lengthwise, and then ran a line of zig-zag stitch right along the crease down the middle. (I thought straight stitch might cause the line to perforate so I used zig zag.) Then I had two pouches for my yarn in one bag! You can either cut a little hole in the bottom corners and thread the yarn through or run the yarn out the corners at the top and seal up just the center part of the channel. (If you're using a zip loc without the zipper sealer, just the channels) Either way, once you've got the yarn manageable, it's so much easier to concentrate on and enjoy the knitting.

When you turn your work, just grab a corner of the bag and give it a quick flip. If you flip it the wrong way, a couple more flips puts you back on track!

Hope this helps!
Happy knitting,

Ruthie
That's a great idea! I will try it one more time and do the heel I like and the zip lock idea. We will see if that helps!! Thanks!!!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hartleystudio For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-15-2008)
Old 10-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #17
pixiepurls
1st Leg of the Journey

I learned how to knit in a knitting class at an LYS. ABout a year or so later I was in another knitting shop and showing the owners mother my pretty ribbing, she said to me "oh my how pretty that twisted stitch looks in the ribbing". Come to find out I had been twisting my stitches all along and the teacher had never caught it. I was mad!!
pixiepurls is offline   Reply With Quote