Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #121
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Dot! That's got to be one of the best ever tips! I'm rooting around for bobby pins now!

Thanks!

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
DorothyDot (10-08-2008), kellybigeyes (10-07-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #122
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Legal disclaimer - I've only been knitting a little bit, however, I read a lot and take ideas and put them together.

A. To minimize ladders it is not the first stitch after the move from one needle to another, it is the second and third. The first stitch after going from one needle to another 1) doesn't have enough tension to prevent ladders 2) the needle with that first stitch has to much movement to make a tight stitch.

Knit the first stitch, begin knitting the second stitch and as you start to pull the new stitch through the loop pull on the yarn until you see the first stitch pull tight. Do this with the third stitch, on the fourth stitch begin knitting normally.

B. If you pattern will allow - rotate the point where you pass from one needle to another every so many rounds. For example. assuming the use of 4 DPs. Needle 1 has stitches 1 to 10, needle 2 has stitches 11 to 20 and needle 3 has stitches 21 to 30.
For the first four rounds knit the stitches on the needle as above. On round 5 knit stitches 1 to 10, when you come to stitches 11 and 12 knit them on to needle 1. Then move to needle 2 and knit stitches 13 to 20 and then knit stitches 21 and 22 on to needle 2. Move to needle 3 and knit stitches 23 to 30 and then knit stitches 1 and 2 onto needle 3.

Depending on your pattern you may want to put markers Between stitches 10 and 11, 20 and 21, and 30 and 1.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (10-08-2008), kellybigeyes (10-12-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-10-2008)
Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #123
Jackie Lim
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie Lim
hi
While knitting in round, i join new and old yarn together by tying a knot and then knit with the new yarn - i really dont like it as there is always a bump/knot there and that stitch seems to be smaller/tighter than the rest. Is a sore-eye to me!!

Would love to hear and learn new trick to this, thanks.

Welcome to my blog

FOs - In my blog
Jackie Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackie Lim For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (10-12-2008)
Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #124
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by Jackie Lim View Post
While knitting in round, i join new and old yarn together by tying a knot and then knit with the new yarn - i really dont like it as there is always a bump/knot there and that stitch seems to be smaller/tighter than the rest. Is a sore-eye to me!!

Hi, Jackie!

One way to deal with this "knotty" problem is to knit almost to the end of the old yarn, leaving a tail of about 5 or 6 inches. Tie the new yarn, in a knot, around the strand of the old yarn and also leave a 5 or 6 inch tail on this. Slide the new yarn all the way up the old yarn strand so that you can pick up the next stitch with it. Continue knitting. When you're finished, pick the little knot apart and then weave in both tails as you normally would.

In the KH forum, there are some super great videos on different ways to join new yarn. Check them out and see if you can find your favorite!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
cacunn (10-12-2008), Clabbergirl (09-24-2009), ferretlove (10-19-2008), Jackie Lim (10-12-2008), kellybigeyes (10-12-2008), rywillmom (03-14-2009), sgtpam (10-12-2008)
Old 10-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #125
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Stitch Markers, Stitch Markers, Stitch Markers .... I use them for even the smallest repeat or to remind me to knit the two or three stitches at the edge of a dish cloth. Even if a pattern only has 4 or five stitches in it, I know immediately if I have made a mistake.
My favorite stitch markers are jump rings. I get them in the jewelry making area of the craft store. They come in all sizes, they are inexpensive (so you don't feel like you have to search for a lost one) and you get a whole bunch of them.
Also, I use the larger ones to count rows
I keep a section of the round with the number of rows between increases/decreases, each round when i get to the first marker, i knit to the moving one, when I get to it, i ignore it and knit the stitch behind it and pick it up again with that stitch (it moved over one space) when it gets to the end, it is time to do the increases. I hope some of your brains around this, its hard, but I know U R a lot smarter than I am.

Also, i make my own, using metal needles as a size guide. Then I have plenty. I only use the plastic ones for counting.
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecb For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (10-12-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-13-2008)
Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #126
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jackie Lim View Post

I knit that first stitch (when joining the first row in the round) with the C.O. tail and then take over with the yarn itself starting on stitch 2 of join. You have to tighten that first stitch only while you knit the 2nd row, but then it stays tight.

No knots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arielluria For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (10-14-2008), kellybigeyes (10-13-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-13-2008)
Old 10-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #127
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Slipped first stitch, but more
I have found that slipping the first stitch can be done a variety of ways
Garter stitch
yarn back, then slip as to purl makes a tight clove-hitch type knot at the edge
slip as to purl THEN yarn back makes a nice neat edge like in stockinette
I felt VERY clever when I figured this out

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ecb For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (10-14-2008), Jaxhil (11-04-2008), kellybigeyes (10-14-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-14-2008)
Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #128
diny0
Casting On

I have found a digital kitchen scale to be a nifty help with knitting. I first used it to split skeins of sock yarn equally so I could knit 2 socks at a time. I set the scale to grams and then put a bowl on the scale and zero it. I weigh the whole skein of yarn and figure out what weight I need for a single ball. I hand wind my balls so I just put the ball in the bowl every once in a while until I have the weight I need. I cut the yarn and then wind the second ball.

My other use for the scale was figuring out if I had enough yarn to finish a shawl. I needed to do eight rows and knew I could do at least 4 with the yarn I had left. After the second row I weighed the yarn I had left. I knit one row and weighed the yarn again. I figured I had enough yarn to do the next six rows. I was still increasing so I measured the weight of the yarn after each row I knit. I finished the shawl with about eight inches of yarn to spare.

Last edited by diny0 : 10-17-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo
diny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diny0 For This Useful Post:
ajsgramma (11-08-2009), AmyV (10-05-2010), bundlesaurus (03-30-2009), kellybigeyes (10-17-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-17-2008)
Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #129
losnana
Working the Gusset

I do the exact same thing! In fact ,I used a Christmas gift certificate from a kitchen store to get my scale last year. Maybe one day I'll use it for food, but so far it's a yarn scale!

Originally Posted by diny0 View Post
I have found a digital kitchen scale to be a nifty help with knitting. I first used it to split skeins of sock yarn equally so I could knit 2 socks at a time. I set the scale to grams and then put a bowl on the scale and zero it. I weigh the whole skein of yarn and figure out what weight I need for a single ball. I hand wind my balls so I just put the ball in the bowl very once in a while until I have the weight I need. I cut the yarn and then wind the second ball.

My other use for the scale was figuring out if I had enough yarn to finish a shawl. I needed to do eight rows and knew I could do at least 4 with the yarn I had left. After the second row I weighed the yarn I had left. I knit one row and weighed the yarn again. I figured I had enough yarn to do the next six rows. I was still increasing so I measured the weight of the yarn after each row I knit. I finished the shawl with about eight inches of yarn to spare.
kellybigeyes (10-17-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-17-2008)
Old 10-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #130
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by diny0 View Post
I have found a digital kitchen scale to be a nifty help with knitting.

I was at Bass Pro Shops and saw a fishing line counter and the light went off that this could be used to count the yardage left in yarn spools.

They have two versions one is electronic ~ $12 US and a this one which is mechanical ~ $13US. I like the mechanical because I find batteries always run out just when I need them.

One day I'm going to mount it on some thing nice, however, while waiting for that "one day" I use the handle of a coffee cup.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
AmyV (10-05-2010), ferretlove (10-19-2008), Jaxhil (11-04-2008), KathleenG (02-01-2009), kellybigeyes (10-17-2008), losnana (10-17-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-17-2008), Shandeh (10-19-2008)