Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
Toobusy
Casting On

Sock heel edge stitches too loose
When I make socks, the edge stitches of the heel always end up loose. I do the slip first stitch (purl and knit rows) as the patterns call for.

I thought at first I was not pulling the yarn tight enough on the next stitch (sl 1, knit 1 or sl 1, purl 1) so I pulled tighter on the first worked stitch after the slipped stitch and that made the loop bigger. That bigger loop carries up on each row.

I tried knitting that first stitch after the slipped stitch as if it were a regular stitch and that helps but I still end up with larger edge stitches.

When I do the gusset, the area where the gusset stitches start ends up having gaps when the sock is put on. A row of holes (small but big enough to notice) along the gusset seam.

Any ideas how to stop this? Tips? Are they supposed to be looser than the rest of the stitches.

Thanks!
Lynn
Toobusy is offline   Reply With Quote