Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
So NOT an artist. I have not yet designed anything or modified anything enough to really be considered an artist. But I consider my self someone who is an art enthusiast. I appreciate others' talents - kinda like going to an art gallery.

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitpurlgurl For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-25-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I like to think of myself as an artist although others would likely disagree

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Kinnexa (10-27-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-25-2008)
Old 10-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

I don't consider myself an artist in any way. I can follow written instructions, be it knitting, sewing, putting 'things' together that now come in a carton, but I feel an artist is one who creates and from what I've seen this past year there are many of you here. I am a 'fair' cook but that does not make me a chef who creates recipes/menus. If copying a pattern is rewarding, why not? You just simply re-create.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanda Witch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
From an artist...
Hi, folks!

I was both saddened and happy to read the replies in this thread; sad because so many of you who make beauty from nothing more than sticks and string don't see yourselves as artists. Happy because some of you do.

I've been a full time professional artist for about 30 years now, and have a lot of projects under my belt. I even have a piece of work in the Smithsonian.

But it's not credentials that make an artist. Long before I started racking up a professional portfolio, I tried to create beauty, wherever I could, however I could, to the best of my ability at that time. As I lived longer, I learned more, and used what I learned to make things around me more ideal, more beautiful. And all this was long before I had lifted a single paintbrush, written a single word or done much in the way of traditional "art".

Moms, if you've ever put a hot meal on the table for your family that they could sit down to at the end of a long day, relax and enjoy, you were being an artist. Creating peace and ease around you is a beautiful gift. Everyone, if you've ever helped a friend in need and made them feel stronger and more able rather than weak and inept, you were creating the purest kind of art. If you've ever looked at a room, envisioned how it could look better and MADE IT HAPPEN - hey! you created something artful.

Right now my big project is writing a book for knitters about how to design their own cotton knits. But there are lots of patterns, too, for those who just want to make something beautiful. If their interest doesn't extend to designing, that's A-OK. It's that creative IMPULSE to take something in a picture, or their own vision, and make it real, for themselves and others, that's sadly lacking in a sometimes ugly old world. And that's where anyone can be an artist.

Hopefully this little rant will resonate with some of you and help you recognize your own artistic identity. If so, let's hear it! So, how many of you are artists?

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
Andres (10-25-2008), crazykntter83 (10-25-2008), Kinnexa (10-27-2008), knitpurlgurl (10-25-2008), knittingrox (10-25-2008), LadyFirelyght (10-29-2008), lelvsdgs (10-26-2008), MoniDew (10-25-2008), Simply_Renee (10-27-2008)
Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Ruthie, you words are touching my soul! By that definition, we all are!!! Thank you!
________
TOYOTA FTX SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by MoniDew : 02-19-2011 at 07:01 PM.
MoniDew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

Yes - as an oboist (my profession). As a knitter - a little bit when I can turn out a beautiful piece.

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doublereeder2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
Andres
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting is an art, so, yes... I consider myself to be an artist...

...not only as a knitter, guitarist and drummer. Many things we do are art, we just don't realize it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andres For This Useful Post:
Kinnexa (10-27-2008), RuthieinMaryland (10-25-2008), Tropicflower24 (10-26-2008)
Old 10-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #18
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Thank you...
MoniDew, Doublereeder2 and Andres!!!

Thank you all so much for your responses. All I could do was hold up the mirror, and if you looked into it and saw an artist, no one is more delighted than I am. There are lots of artists out there, in any area of life, even in life itself. We just need more, more, more to recognize it! So go be wildly creative and touch the world with something beautiful. Socks might be nice.....or a shawl......or a sweater or even...... well, whatever YOU see. You're the artists, after all!

So, how about it folks? Who else is an artist?

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
Andres (10-26-2008), knitpurlgurl (10-26-2008)
Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

I make things from string & sticks that myself and others are proud to wear or use in public. But I usually don't stray too far from someone else's pattern, so I don't consider myself very creative or artistic.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gotta knit For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-27-2008)
Old 10-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Mike
Working the Gusset

For the knitting, no, it's a craft.
For the jewelry, not usually. Although it is wearable art without any other function than art most of the work is repair and even a lot of the creation is assembly.
For the sculpture, yes, it's only use is art.
For the saxophone, not really, I'm a hack.

So mostly I am a craftsman.

Craft: Useful art.
Art: Art with no other use than eye (or ear) candy.

An artist or craftsperson doesn't make one better than the other.
But if I had to pick one or the other to look up to I'd say it's the one who can not only create something that looks good but serves more of a purpose than taking up space.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-27-2008)