Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #31
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Don't feel badly, we all have our favorite things! Just go with what you love and send ME all your sock yarn!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arielluria For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (11-07-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #32
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by janettle View Post
I've seen beginner tutorials and books on each of the following:
- Magic Loop cuff-down, 1 at a time.
- Magic Loop cuff-down, 2 at a time.
- 1 sock at a time on 2 circulars (author Cat Bordhi)
- 2 socks at a time embedded.

Maybe if you look around at other methods, you'll feel better about trying it another way.

Happy Knitting!
I was trying toe up, one sock at a time on 2 circular needles. I also printed out Silver's magic loop on one circ (I can't remember if it was one sock or two, but I think it was two) but I decided that the 2 circ method might be easier to start.

I think I'm going to try a hat or two and get practice and then maybe try socks again.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
janettle (11-08-2008)
Old 11-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #33
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Now that I'm on my home computer, I can thank everybody for your wonderful and encouraging responses! I am surprised at how many people admit to not liking socks, and that makes me feel much better.

I was hoping that socks would be nice for small and portable projects, but it looks like that isn't for me.

I do admire people that can take the time to knit not only one, but TWO socks and can do it over and over again. Maybe someday I'll try again, but my current interests apparently lie elsewhere.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #34
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Oh you aren't alone. I have not felt a single urge to knit a single sock yet, and I have been knitting now for over 3 years. I've made almost everything BUT socks.

For me, my favourite thing to knit is hats and scarves. Whenever someone asks what I am knitting I pretty much always say "a scarf" and I get the same response "You ALWAYS knit scarves!" I hate that. Makes me feel bad for doing what I want to do. Heck the one reason I started knitting was to have awesome scarves. And I have tons! I like hats coz they are super quick for when the never ending scarf is driving me nuts. lol.

My mom keeps bugging me to knit another sweater, but I am in the process of losing weight, so I don't want to put all that time and effort into something that -hopefully- wouldn't even fit by the time it's done, or a year from then.

Knit what you love, that's the whole reason to knit! I've waisted too many months in the past knitting things I didn't love, and I ended up doing what you did, avoiding ALL knitting and then eventually just frogging the item.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #35
DQ
Working the Gusset

I've lost my sock mojo right in the middle of knitting DH a pair. I think it's because I've messed up the cuff so it won't go over his ankle I'm sure once I fix it I'll feel better and want to start the other sock but it's just getting the motivation to fix it that's hard

I do hope my mojo returns one day though because I want to try other methods to see which works best for me. I've only tried one so far.
sakura-panda (11-09-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #36
janettle
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Maybe someday I'll try again, but my current interests apparently lie elsewhere.
It is good to see you gaining confidence in your own wants and desires.
janettle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to janettle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #37
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
You certainly don't have to make those socks. Unravel them and move on with your life! If it's not enjoyable then there's really no point anyway.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynamar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 AM   #38
ZoeCraft
Casting On

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I have a sock on a pair of circs -- using Silver's tutorial -- and I have no desire to go back and finish it. It was the last thing I was working on when I quit knitting over the summer and I even think it was part of the reason I haven't knitted a thing for the last several months.

A couple of days ago, I decided to knit a baby afghan and I'm happily knitting again. However, I have no desire to go back to those socks and I think I'm going to just frog it and use the yarn for something else.

Is is just me? Should I try again (which would become try #3) or should I see if my LYS has a sock class? Am I better off giving up while I know I'm beaten?

I feel like I should turn in my needles for not enjoying socks!
Me too. I really want to knit socks, the yarn is so funky and stretchy, and i want cool socks.
But those little needles are like toothpicks...they were flopping all around and everthing seems so tiny after a chunky double-knit scarf. I got frustrated right away. Thanks for making me feel i am not the only one!
ZoeCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeCraft For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #39
newamy
Working the Gusset

I've knit a few pair of socks and when I did the first couple of pairs I liked it for the new challenge. And I like the finished product. But I have found that I don't get all that excited about the actual knitting of socks. The sock yarn colors are glorious and tempting. But I have weird feet and my socks get holes in them in just a few months, on the bottom of the foot. So it's kind of tough to get excited about something I know won't hold up long. Then if I do decide to knit a pair I have to be in a "sock mood". Unfortunately the knitting of the socks generally takes longer than the sock mood lasts. I have sock yarn for two more pairs I hope to get too sometime, the yarn is really pretty, but I'm waiting for the right time.

If you really don't want to finish the socks don't. You will feel free I'm sure.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #40
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I've really enjoyed reading the responses from everyone! I have no desire to ever knit or crochet socks. I like the socks I buy just fine. I too get a kind of satisfaction from frogging a project that's not behaving and knowing I won't be bothering to try again. It's called relief.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craw For This Useful Post:
Krystal (11-10-2008), sakura-panda (11-09-2008)