Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #541
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
The rule of thumb: pick up 2 rib st for every 3 body-side st.
However, that said...I have also picked up 3 for 4.

Ribbing is very tricky. I've had to tear down ribbing because it was ripply (too many st) or because it was "bowed" (too few stitches).

I am always quick to "re-do" wonky ribbing to get it right!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
G J (11-14-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #542
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I had six rows left to finish on the back of my CPH when the doctor cut me off a few weeks ago. The physio had told me I could knit one row a day, provided I packed myself in pillows and kept my arms on the pillows while knitting. I was in a towering rage today, at my ISP, and didn't even think about it, I just picked my knitting up and finished the last two rows, which were all that I had left to do. Anyways, to make a long story short, I am finished the back of my CPH now. I CO for the left front but that is all I got done (a total of three rows before it dawned on me, through my rage, that I was not supposed to knit more than one row at a time). I am so glad to have at least one piece finished though. I'll pay for it tomorrow I am sure. A pattern this easy should not take this long to produce! Right now I am a knitting failure.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #543
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Christine, you are NOT a knitting failure! You may just be a patient failure, though! JK!!! Your doctor might not be happy, but you feel good for having one piece finished!Hopefully, you won't have pain tomorrow!

Dollyce, thanks for the ribbing formula. I think I picked up about the right # of stitches, but it's not what the pattern called for.

I ran out of yarn! grrr. Thankfully, someone on Ravelry has half a ball left of the same dyelot and is willing to mail it to me. I decided to go ahead and block what I have done. I can at least do the seaming so that once I get the remaining yarn, I can finish. Since I'm halfway done with the ribbing band, that should be enough. I'm ready to do the buttonholes once I get the yarn. Does anyone have a formula for spacing them? I'm HORRIBLE at math!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #544
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

The physio doctor won't kill me because the doctor doesn't know, and I am not going to tell him.

Are you going to crochet button holes on the front? If so, the pattern has the formula for that. If you could find someone to crochet it for you, it would go easier unless you crochet yourself. So glad you were able to get the yarn you needed. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #545
G J
Instepping Out

I'd rather have the buttonholes ON the button band. I don't crochet and I kind of like that look better.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #546
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

I'll pay close attention to Dollyce's answer then because I think I'd like buttons on mine as well. I haven't decided 100% yet though, I might put a zipper in it!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #547
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

If a knitter has made her buttonhole band EXACTLY as written regarding the number of picked-up stitches, and on which side facing, etc...then you can create the buttonholes as written, too.

However, how many of us do that? My buttonhole bands are always longer, or shorter. So I have to improvise. There is no formula, sorry to say.

However this is what I do:

1) I knit the button band first.
2) Based on the ribbing of the button band...I place pins on all of the ribbing locations that will receive a button on the button band.
3) If you decide that the buttons are to be located 'in the ditch'...that is to say, within in the purls...then the buttonholes must also be created within the corresponding "ditches" in the buttonhole band.
4) And that is your pattern "work order" for the buttonhole band.

Whatever style of buttonhole you chose...the "holes" must be exactly where those pins (buttons) are on the corresponding side.

It isn't hard...but it is time-consuming. Don't short-sheet this step. The ribbing must match up when the cardigan is buttoned up or else it will look tragic.

Artlady at Rav
G J (11-15-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #548
G J
Instepping Out

Thanks so much, Dollyce. Let me clarify: Is it BETTER to have the buttonholes in the purl ditches?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #549
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Well I got my (breast feeding) pillow today. It looks like this " U ". So I can knit again (provided I use some common sense and don't overdo it). The physio wants me to sit in the high backed office chair with arms, put the pillow on the chair arms and under my breasts, rest my arms on the pillow and use just my wrists for knitting. I am supposed to take the pillow on Monday to show them and they will watch me knit to see if it affects my neck.

I am hoping to have enough done on the left front to show them when I get there. Right now I only have one inch of ribbing done (if that). If not, I will also take the back with me so that they can see what I am doing. I'll try out the pillow tomorrow.

I think I have decided on a zipper. Heaven only knows what I will decide when I finally get that far, but for now it looks like I will probably put a zipper in my CPH!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 AM   #550
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by G J View Post
Thanks so much, Dollyce. Let me clarify: Is it BETTER to have the buttonholes in the purl ditches?
Oh, no...I was just using that as an example. It is whatever you like best. I do both, depending on the pattern. To decide...I lay my buttons on the buttonband, and visualize what they will look like on top of the K2...or in the ditch in the P2.

Artlady at Rav
G J (11-16-2008)