Old 11-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

Better pictures of my new wheel-opinions encouraged?
I just got home from picking up my "new" wheel and took some better pics of it I think it such a cute little wheel I know it is missing some things but I am not sure what and I just am hoping that it won't be too expensive to get the parts. The lady we got it from said that she may have the "thingamabob with yarn on it and some spokes" whatever she means by that is that the bobbin? ..she said she will look in the attic and give me a call if she finds it. Well here it is so please let me know what you think everyone as I have no idea what parts I need or how to spin but I want to learn badly!
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x800 and weights 148KB.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 125KB.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x800 and weights 123KB.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 90KB.
Does anyone know what the stick thing in the last picture is?

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
You need a footman to connect the treadle/peddle to the wheel, it can be a stick, string or leather (maybe that's what the stick thing is) and your mother of all is missing a flyer, orifice and bobbin (probably the bits she has in the attic). Basic diagram here
Old 11-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

Thanks so much! As you can see I had no idea what the parts of the spinning wheel do or their function This diagram was very helpful thanks so much. So is there anyway that I can probably buy the pieces that I am missing? Are all parts universal among spinning wheels or are they specific to the brand? I have no idea what brand this wheel is so this may pose a problem, hmm all I want to do is get this wheel back in working order, do you thin its possible:(

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Foxyie
Knitting the Flap

hi.. congrats on the wheel!

the stick looking thing could be part of a distaff

pieces are not universal among wheels but sometimes within brands..like bobbins can be interchanged within some brands

i have no clue how you could go about figuring what kind of flyer to get or anything but there is a group for antique wheels on rav.. perhaps they could help you identify it..good luck
Foxyie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foxyie For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 03:12 AM   #5
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
It looks a lot like a "country craftsman" spinning wheel, except you don't have the flyer assembly from what I can see. You need to replace the footman. Also, you need to flip the wheel around so that the "handle" knobby thing is towards the back and perhaps just a piece of cotton or hemp string can be attached (you get your power from the downstroke anyway) from the knob to the treadle. If that proves to not work very welll you could get a small piece of trim from the lumber yard and attach it that way.

Any way, here is a web page with a pic of a country craftsman wheel with all it's parts n stuff.
I agree that the broken stick part is part of the distaff, which for all intensive purposes is really unnecessary anyway. You don't really need it to spin wool.
O yeah, the link.... here ya go hun... http://www.oldmillyarn.com/Supply_Spinning.htm

Hope that helps ya.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fibrenut For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Definitely not a Country Craftsman. This wheel is much smaller than the CC (from table to drive wheel)
The "thingamabob with yarn on it" is the Bobbin, although the two maidens are missing the oriface and the flyer. The "some spokes" could be part of the basket for the distaff. That part isn't needed

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
It could also be a knock off of a country craftsman. Some homeboy decided to make his ol' lady a wheel of her own and just used the craftsman as a starting point. Just made it smaller. Jmho LOL!!

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

I can see where it resembles a country craftsmen Not sure if it is or not but maybe I can get some parts for that brand and it may fit? Any suggestions on where to acquire parts from?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

What is a distaff? I know it is like a cage thingy well thats what it would look like if the other two twigs were present but what is it for?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

A Country Craftsman is a brand of a Saxony style wheel. There are many, many makers of Saxon wheels, just saying.

A distaff is used to spin flax. The flax is prepped by making layers of the fiber crossways to each other, than draped and tied on to the distaff. Sometimes a basket is used, but it is not needed. You can also use a distaff to hold your wool for spinning, again it needs to be gently tied to the distaff.

The color of the ribbons used on the distaff used to signify if the spinner was single, married, et al. I can't find the url for that, but it was very interesting reading!

As for making a flyer, bobbins & whorl.... are you a woodworker of have acess to one?

Grace Hatton (and her husband) restores wheels. They would be a good resource for you.

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (11-25-2008)