Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Linster
Ribbing the Cuff

Yarn weight
This may be a common sense question -- however, when a yarn's weight states "double knit" does that mean that you knit with two strands? I'm looking to knit a scarf with two yarns. I'm thinking of combining baby alpaca (because I absolutely love it's softness) with a very fine angora. I would think a lightweight angora would lend some luxury to the aplaca while helping bulk up the scarf just a bit. My goal is to knit something incredibly soft and warm. I really want the feel of angora, but not all that fuzziness (or expense). I thought if I stuck to just one thin strand of angora it might be what I'm looking for. I know I would still end up with a little fuzziness, yet maybe just enough to make the scarf unique. Does this sound workable to you veteran knitters??
Linster is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can knit it with 1 strand. It got it's name from being the same weight as 2 strands of fingering/sock yarn held together. You can knit with 2 strands of it and it will be about bulky weight. Fuzzy yarn is often knit with larger needles than you'd think because the fuzz fills in the smpaces. Basically, you're going to have to end up knitting a sample to see how it will work out.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Linster (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
crocee
Knitting the Flap

This is from KnitWitts,
"The most commonly misunderstood weight of yarn is DK. Not, double strands of yarn but a weight of yarn that falls in between sport and worsted. This weight comes to us from Europe and has a classic gauge of 5.5 sts=1" on US 6. Many yarns imported from Europe have this gauge and are now available on the American market. A true sport weight uses needle sizes between US 3 and 5 with an average gauge of 6 sts=1". Sport weight yarns are used for lighter weight garments including fair Isle work, babies and children’s garments and heavier socks"
http://www.knitwitts.com/category/Yarn/c22

And Sue posted this link http://yarnforward.com/tension.html to help me understand (confuse me further)how to figure out yarns.
crocee AKA Andi
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crocee For This Useful Post:
Linster (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
It's a yarn weight and is also known as light worsted.
http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
TrikkeAddict (11-24-2008)