Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
AngCable
Casting On

Cable Knit Scarf - how to make with 2 colors?
Hello everyone,

I just signed up today, looks like a very nice forum I am a beginner knitter. I know only the basics - knit, purl, slip stitch, bind off, work with cable needle, decrease stitch, etc. - and so far I have made 3 cable knit scarfs...all in solid colors. But now I would like my next project to be unique!
I would like to make a cable knit scarf where the cables themselves are 1 color, and the 'background' is another color. So I would be using two yarns of different color.

Would anybody know how to achieve this effect? How do I carry the 'cable' color through as I work the stitches for the rest of the scarf? Does it require that I add the 'cable' color when I reach that area and then cut it off? I would see that as extremely tedious and time consuming, so I'm not sure what I should do.

I need a lot of help/instruction. I would love to get started on my project Can anyone assist me?

Many thanks in advance!
-AngCable
AngCable is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

To do that you will need to do the intarsia technique. So you will be working with three "balls" of color (one for the cable and two for the color bracketing the cable).

Here are some pages showing the technique.

http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/74
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques (scroll down)
http://www.purlbee.com/intarsia-knitting-tutorial/

Katrina

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystery_Gyrl For This Useful Post:
AngCable (11-24-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Yup, I second what MysteryGyrl (Katrina) said!

Thanks for the great links! Very nice of you to do that research!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

I think it sort of depends on what cable pattern you are using and the over all effect you are going for. I did this pillow border using
the fair isle/stranding technique where I carried the color not being used across the back. It would really depend on what type of cabling you are doing!

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargoylelib For This Useful Post:
AngCable (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
AngCable
Casting On

Thank you everyone for your posts

Many thanks to you, Mystery_Gyrl, for the links that provide instruction for what I'm trying to achieve. I am doing a basic cable pattern, it is worked over 12 stitches. I've attached a photo of the first cable scarf I made last year...as it was in progress.

gargoylelib, your knitted pillow cover is amazing!

Saturday, shortly after posting my post, I started to try out a stitch pattern I've never done before, and now I'm making it into another scarf The stitch is called Small Diamond Brocade. I got it from the Vogue Stitchionary Book for knit and purl stitches. Here is what I have so far, and a closeup of the stitch pattern too.

Would any of you be able to recommend a good, easy to understand, and thorough, book for someone like me? I want to learn a lot of the techniques and such.

Many thanks again to all of you
Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by AngCable View Post
Thank you everyone for your posts

Many thanks to you, Mystery_Gyrl, for the links that provide instruction for what I'm trying to achieve. I am doing a basic cable pattern, it is worked over 12 stitches. I've attached a photo of the first cable scarf I made last year...as it was in progress.

gargoylelib, your knitted pillow cover is amazing!

Saturday, shortly after posting my post, I started to try out a stitch pattern I've never done before, and now I'm making it into another scarf The stitch is called Small Diamond Brocade. I got it from the Vogue Stitchionary Book for knit and purl stitches. Here is what I have so far, and a closeup of the stitch pattern too.

Would any of you be able to recommend a good, easy to understand, and thorough, book for someone like me? I want to learn a lot of the techniques and such.

Many thanks again to all of you
Yup,How to Knit by Debbie Bliss..well illustrated and pages of different stitch patterns...also, each technique she has a pattern to follow.so that's my vote

Last edited by cheley : 11-24-2008 at 12:59 PM.
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
AngCable (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

Well, it depends on what you are looking for, if you want an all around knitting book you could borrow from your library (for a test run) or buy these books to name a few.

Knitter's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to the Principles and Techniques of Handknitting by Montse Stanley

The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman

Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book

and the ubiquitous Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes by Elizabeth Zimmerman

(I also like Jacqueline Fee's The Sweater Workshop you get to work on a little windsock type thing while learning basic fitting methods)

and in those moments of crisis it is nice to have a book or two on how to help fix mistakes (which we never make, they are learning experiences ):

The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face ... by Margaret Radcliffe

Knit Fix: Problem Solving for Knitters by Lisa Kartus

If you decide to buy any of these books you might want to purchase them at Amazon.com or http://www.knitpicks.com.
They tend to be cheaper than picking them up at a local B&N, Borders, etc.

Katrina

By the by have you seen these two cable scarves (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTelbac.html) from an older issue of Knitty. They are nice to wear since they are reversible.

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystery_Gyrl For This Useful Post:
AngCable (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
AngCable
Casting On

I love borrowing books from the library, and one of the libraries has How To Knit, so I put in a request. I will have to look up the other suggestions by Mystery_Gyrl too. Thanks so much!

The link for the reversible cable knit scarf was great! I bookmarked that page as well as the YarnMarket.com I see myself getting very carried away into knitting

Has anyone knitted with the 'cashmere' feel yarn made by Bernat? JoAnn Fabrics doesn't sell it anymore...I wonder why.
Is there a yarn brand/style that any of you like in particular that washes up well after many washes? (Sorry to veer off the subject of my post)
Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by AngCable View Post
I love borrowing books from the library, and one of the libraries has How To Knit, so I put in a request. I will have to look up the other suggestions by Mystery_Gyrl too. Thanks so much!

The link for the reversible cable knit scarf was great! I bookmarked that page as well as the YarnMarket.com I see myself getting very carried away into knitting

Has anyone knitted with the 'cashmere' feel yarn made by Bernat? JoAnn Fabrics doesn't sell it anymore...I wonder why.
Is there a yarn brand/style that any of you like in particular that washes up well after many washes? (Sorry to veer off the subject of my post)
Well, personally I have (lately) worked alot with Plymouth Encore... 75 acrylic/25wool. I like the feel, (very soft) and works up very nice, however, this is a "worsted wgt" so I used this for chunkier looking projects (men's stuff), and I have not washed anything yet...Patton's is nice too (I found some at Michael's Craft Store)
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I love Knit Picks Swish, it comes in dk, worsted, and bulky...

Another wonderful book is Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Workshop

She has a great DVD that you can get to go with the book. And she really helps you increase what you can to, working you through it all and the book, like all of hers is even FUN to read!

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote