Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #7361
SteveDallas
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to SteveDallas Send a message via Yahoo to SteveDallas
I don't know about the computers... but when we bought ipod nanos from the Apple refurb store, they had a 1 yr warranty, same as the new ones.

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
"Real men don't eat quiche"
Real men eat whatever the heck they want!

Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
Dustina as for getting pics off your camera, go to walmart.com and the photo area & load them up there, then print them off
I decided I can't make prints at home for what I can get them for at a store. Between paper, ink, and time... and if you're at all picky about the color correction, you'll at least occasionally have to reprint one... there goes any savings you have vs. the store. Another thing to consider: they're doing "real" photographic prints (with light shining on paper) as opposed to printing with ink. It's really hard (I'm not going to say impossible) to get ink to last and resist fading... but it does become an issue if it's something you want to save for a long time. The commercial prints aren't immune from fading, but it's not nearly the issue it is with inkjet printing.

One other way the stores score over home printing: if you upload your pictures to one of the big chains, you have to tell it where you're going to pick them up (assuming you're not mailing them). You don't have to give them the location closest to you. We upload our photos (in Philadelphia) and ask them to be printed at a store in North Carolina... and then I just tell my parents to pick their photos of the grandkids up next time they go to or past Wal-Mart.

One piece of advice for anybody printer-shopping, at least for color printers: buy something that has four ink tanks (at least four--some have more--black, yellow, red/magenta, and blue/cyan). The ones that have a single cartridge with red, yellow, and blue end up wasting ink because you have to toss the cartridge when one color is gone, even if the other two still have some left. (What's even worse is a printer that only has the one cartridge with three colors--then when you ask for black, it does a mixture of red, yellow, and blue. Not only is it horribly wasteful of ink, but it never really looks like a true black. I don't think anybody still sells printers like that, but if you see one, don't buy it!)
Originally Posted by Ishie View Post
Now I'm looking to do a sock from the toes up but have absolutely no idea of what to do after I've cast on.
I don't know anything about toe-up socks, but I can tell you that cube in your avatar picture is seriously messed up.

Anyway... whew.... the annual fall production that my wife conducts is over. I played clarinet in the pit orchestra, so I had to be there for all of it . . . . . eight times all the way through since last Sunday (three "run through" rehearsals and five performances). (It was The Gondoliers" by Gilbert and Sullivan.) I took my socks along and knitted in between... we got there when my wife needed to be there, so I usually had at least a half hour to kill. I made a good bit of progress... enforced knitting! ... I did 20 rounds to finish off the leg, and finished about 2/3 of the heel flap. Onward.... I received many comments from cast & crew passing by... all very nice.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #7362
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
Hi everyone.

The batteries in my keyboard died earlier today, so I had to get replacements before I could type anything.

Dustina: Like you I am trying to stay away from the computer more, but I still have to check out the adorable puppies on the puppy cam every so often. I got some pix developed at Costco today. Their price is hard to beat. My shoulder is much better thanks.

Gina: Your CPH looks wonderful and fits really well. Great job.

Carey: The sweater looks cute.

Ishie: Welcome to the KAL

Jess: Good luck. Glad you got everything written up. Hope the scanner worked.

Lieke: Look forward to seeing your scarf.

Julie: Hope you are all completely recovered.

Christine: Boots looks adorable. Hope you are feeling a bit better and that you enjoyed your company yesterday.

Ann: How many more blanket squares have you made?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #7363
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Lady Violet View Post
I just realized the answer to all my computer problems. I'll just go to my local Apple store, walk up to the genius bar, work my wiley ways, and have one of them fall madly in love with me. Then he can give me my very own macbook as a wedding present.

Don't to forget to ask for the rights to the maintenance agreement in the divorce.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #7364
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Steps that might help a PC run faster.

1)Clean up old unused programs. We have a tendency to download new programs to try but do not always delete them once we decide not to use them.
  1. Start -> All Programs
  2. Review the listing of programs and remove any you do not use.
  1. Write down the name of any program you delete in case you need or want it later.
  2. First check the program listing in “All Programs” and see if the file has its own file uninstaller.
  3. If the program dose not have its own uninstaller go back to”
    1. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Systems Tools -> Disk Clean Up
    2. Select the “More Options” tab
    3. Select the “Clean Up” button under the “Installed programs” section.
    4. This will give you a listing of all your programs.
    5. Be careful this will list many programs you need but do not know of because the work behind the scene. Click on any program you recognize but know you are no longer using. Once selected click on “Remove”
2)Clean up temp and unnecessary files.
A lot of programs create temporary files as they work, especially internet browsers; however, many are not good at cleaning up these files once they are trough. To get rid of these files:
  1. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Systems Tools -> Disk Clean Up
  2. Select any option that has “Temporary” in the name.
  3. Select to empty the Recycle Bin.
  4. Select to “Compress old files”
3)Defragment your files.
  1. Your system writes files to the hard disk by using the first open space it finds. If this space is not large enough for the entire file, it writes what it can and moves to the next open space leaving pointers behind. Over time some files may be stuffed into hundreds of small pieces all over the disk.
  2. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Systems Tools -> Disk Defragmenter
  3. When the pop up screen appears select the proper disk (normally “C:”) and click on the “Analyze” button.
  4. Another screen will pop-up and tell you if you need to defragment. Note: depending on the size of your hard drive and how badly it need defragmenting this may take a few HOURS.
4)The last is probably the hardest to explain. Preload as few programs as possible. All the little quick start icons on the lower left of the tool bar take up memory. These little quick starts may only take up a little bit of memory; but the more you have the more memory is lost.
  1. When loading a new application and you are asked to install a quick start icon say no. If you really need it - add it later.
Warning your mileage may vary, if you have a question - Don't, ask questions for more guidance.

Last edited by cacunn : 11-25-2008 at 10:33 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
Jackie Lim (12-05-2008), jberry16 (11-25-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #7365
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Hi everyone

Boots made it through his surgery fine and he is home safe and sound. He was very drugged up last night and did not eat or drink. We took him out to the bathroom once but he just stood there and shook, so we brought him back in. He spent most of the evening wrapped up in a blanket laying on DH. This morning he got up, went hunting for DH and then ate some breakfast but I had a hell of a time trying to get him to drink anything. Finally he managed to have a drink and now he is resting.

I am doing alright. DH has a really nasty cold and seems to have given it to me. We spent a lot of time yesterday resting. We had to cancel our physio because they didn't want us near them with "these germs". I'll make an appointment for later in the week when I can leave Boots and I feel good enough to drive DH to work so I can have the car.

Here's a picture of Boots yesterday, stoned, and sitting on our bed! The collar is so he does not chew at his incision. It has to stay on for 10 days. Poor little man hates it and is really moping around. He is also not running or jumping at all. He'll feel better in a few days, I am told.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boots' party hat!.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	51045  

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #7366
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
Poor Boots. He does look so cute in his collar. Glad everything went OK.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #7367
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Poor, poor Boots. At leat he looks cute! I hope he feels better soon.

Chris, I've already tried all that several times. I think the problem is that my laptop is over two years old, and therefore obsolete. Plus I've been using my dad's mac and once you've spent some time with a mac, there's just no going back. Apples work so naturally it kind of makes me wonder what Bill Gates was thinking. Well, I guess there had to be a BG so the rest of us could be cool. Without him there'd be nothing to compare us to. That's my theory, anyway.

Anyone want to contribute to a mac fund for a future continuing student trying to better her life by getting out of a dead-end job?

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Violet For This Useful Post:
cacunn (11-25-2008), The.Knitter (11-25-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #7368
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
He had his final vaccines yesterday too. Now we can take him for obedience classes because his shots are up to date. We did not get the final set when he was supposed to have them because he was so sick then and we wanted his system settled down before adding anything further. The good news is that now that he is fixed and when we go to renew his dog tag in April, it will only cost $20 and it is good for the rest of his life.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #7369
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
thanks, but apparently the wierd 'bug' is still here. I say it's wierd because, for instance Katie had a fever Friday afternoon, then was fine, then Sunday had diarrhea, then yesterday was fine, then this morning woke up to a '**** storm' literally diarrhea up her back, her room smelled like a porta potty at a rest stop, & of course we're runnin behind today so i had to give her a quick bath, so then Jaocb's already a few min late to school. Then we get about 1/4 mile down the road and she throws up! Crap! So we turn around, I leave the kids in the car, bring her in, clean her up again & then leave to take him to school. O what a day, and that was all before 8:05am. O the joys of motherhood. haha. Granted it's been over an hour and she's had a Tbs. or so of water & 2 salteen crackers & seems to be ok. She was all smiles once I cleaned her up the second time. Called Mom & Grandma to tell them we may not be there for Thanksgivning afterall-I'm not taking sick kids, & I'm not going if I dont feel 100% So we'll see what the rest of today & tomorrow brings. Tonight's knit night so I really hope that was the 'end' of today's bug. Doesn't that seem wierd to y'all too though, to have the symptoms spread out like that?
O and then Bailey came to my room last night at midnight, well a few after & said she wanted to sleep with us, hell no, not with the wierd bug going around, dont need a kid puking in my bed-not to sound mean, or heartless but didn't need that. So I gave her a hug & realized she was HOT, 101.7'F to b exact: & she's fine this morning. wierd.

Needless to say, no knitting.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #7370
SteveDallas
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to SteveDallas Send a message via Yahoo to SteveDallas
I recommend ccleaner, available at ccleaner.com. It will automate a lot of the things Chris suggested.

Lady V, I hear you... imagine my poor employees... we make them keep their computers for 4 year before they're replaced! I would say if you have 512MB of memory, a memory upgrade is well worth your money and will help things out. Pricing depends on exactly what kind of memory your computer takes, but the last notebook I upgraded, I got 2GB of memory for $45.