Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
knitgal
Working the Gusset
 
knitgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,710
Thanks: 1,249
Thanked 987 Times in 655 Posts
I agree about some of the Christmas bitterness. Here are my reasons:

1. My birthday is December 13th. Everyone forgets or it is put aside. Now I know it sounds selfish, but when I was a child I would only receive one gift and it would be "Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas". Now I'm lucky if people remember my birthday at all. If my birthday had been in June I would have received two gifts. (I know, I know, but I was only a child!)

2. I work in retail (not because I want to) and I will work Christmas eve and most likely Boxing Day. I don't want to, but I will. I want to be at home with my family like everyone else, but instead I have to help those who left their shopping to the last minute.

3. My high school boyfriend of 3.5 years broke up with me Christmas Day a few years ago and every year it's like the anniversary of our break up. Nice, eh?

4. My parents don't live anywhere near me. Well my mom lives about an hour away, but my dad and stepmom live in another province. Since I work in retail I can't get any time off to actually go and see them, so I don't actually get to spend the holidays with my family.

5. We are poor. We are young and just starting out and are saving to buy a house. We are lucky enough to be saving some money every month, but because of Christmas we have to use the money normally saved on gifts because those people will be buying us gifts.

Ugh, I'm not a negative person, but it felt sort of good to get that out. I really do love Christmas and I think it will only get better when I have kids and when I am closer to my family, (and when I have a better job!) but right now I am just poor and tired and bitter.
__________________
Ann

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!



Last edited by knitgal : 11-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.
knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel
 
Knit4Pie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Farnham, Canada
Posts: 781
Thanks: 282
Thanked 220 Times in 208 Posts
I know (kinda) where you're coming from. I hate that if your present to someone isn't as expensive/fancy/big as someone else's - or as theirs to you - your present is sort of put aside with a token smile.

I dislike going shopping during the Christmas season, not necessarily because of the crowds, but (and I'm sorry) because of some of the people working in the stores.

Even though it's Christmas shopping time, that doesn't mean I'm at the store to do Christmas shopping. There are things I need to buy. When I can't find something, I hate being yelled at, told to open my eyes and look, etc. I dislike when, at the register and the price isn't right, but I dare mention it, I get the sigh. I'm told that I've made a mistake. They don't want to bother checking. When I insist, why they talk to someone to ask the price and they gesture pretty rudely. Of course, when it turns out I was right, it's still my fault that they made the mistake.

Yes, this has happened to me. It was a week and a half before Christmas last year, and I needed to buy clothes for my daughter -- not for Christmas, just that she needed clothes and shoes.

I was once grocery shopping about 4 days before Christmas. Sorry, but I needed to grocery shop. I got home from work and realized I had nothing in the house. It was 9pm and the store closed at 10pm. As I was approaching the register to pay (at 9:20...not even close to the 10pm closing) the two girls were talking loudly to each other, saying how it was terrible how SOME people left their Christmas food shopping to the last minute and were so inconsiderate as to take up their time. 10pm is the regular closing time year-round, not just Christmas season. They were looking at me and giving me this look like "why are you bothering me?"

Yeah, can you tell I have a big problem with this time of year? LOL. I know the people working retail are over-worked and such at this time of year, but just as shoppers can be rude, so can the people working in the stores. It's not all just one-sided.

If the stores are open, people will shop. If they're closed, well, they're out of luck. That's how I look at it!
__________________
Wenda
"Be afraid of bears, of bungee-jumping, of faulty wiring in old houses, but never, ever be afraid of trying something in knitting." Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, Knitting Rules

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Pie For This Useful Post:
Sunshine's Mom (11-26-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe
 
auburnchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,382
Thanks: 3,280
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Christmas is not about buying things for people. It's about celebrating the birth of Jesus. The secular world has made it what it is today, in many ways removing the religious purpose originally intended.

Unfortunately, this world operates on money and has skewed the mindset of this time of year.

I will say that while I do purchase gifts and will continue to do so, the downturn in the economy (and my search for a permanent job) is making me refocus my eyes on what is really important -- the birth of my Savior and the blessings of family. As we downgrade presents (some of mine will be knitted items this year), I think we'll really be able to enjoy the holiday for what it is supposed to mean.



Spend time with family and don't sweat the other stuff, my friend.
__________________
Nathalie - AuburnChick's Adventures

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (11-26-2008), Puddinpop (11-26-2008), sgtpam (11-25-2008), Sunshine's Mom (11-26-2008), Wanda Witch (12-07-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock
 
Hildegard_von_Knittin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: dissertation research hell
Posts: 11,078
Thanks: 107
Thanked 205 Times in 172 Posts
[RANT]
I started worked at Hallmark at the end of September because I was too poor to live (hehe). We started putting out Christmas stuff my *second* week of work. Seriously. We've been playing this damn Cheryl Crow Christmas Crap for TWO MONTHS ALREADY.

Further, we have so much Christmas Crap that we've had to take down some of the regular crap we sell. More and more frequently people are coming in and asking "do you have such-and-such?" and I have to say "Oh, no, I'm sorry, we took those down to make room for Holiday items. We'll get them back in January!" Most of those customers then remind me that it's my *personal* fault that what they're looking for isn't out anymore and that it's my *personal* fault that Hallmark decides Christmas starts right after freaking Labor day.

Don't even get me started on the "get this extra crappy Christmas crap for only 14.95 with each purchase of 3 cards".... hello, three cards. Not three boxes of cards. Not 2 boxes of cards and a card. Not 1 box and two cards. THREE CARDS people. And if you want 2 extra crappy christmas crap things??? Guess what, you have to buy three more cards... that's why it says each. And, Helloooooooooooo why do people insist on arguing with me and "well I was here last week and they let me buy 2 crappy things with only 3 cards" Well, lady, I'm sorry the dumbass that helped you before did it wrong... she probably didn't want to hear your whining, either.

And then there's the disembodied santa heads, with 3-foot beards. You just let that sink into your Christmassy little brain, and think about the horror that can instill on your holiday season.

And WEBKINS. Oh my GODDESS the WEBKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, it's not the webkins. It's the kids who want the webkins. And the idiot parents who let them come in and go "LOOK MOM A CHICKEN" "OOOOOO it's a SNAKE!!!!!!!" "HEY! There's a PINK POODLE! YIPPEEEEEEEEE" while pulling out every freaking webkin and tossing them aside/on the floor/randomly around the area while Mom looks on and says "that's nice dear, maybe you can ask Santa..."

[/RANT]

I do get to wear the cool christmas light necklaces though. I guess that makes up for some things. Oh, and honestly, aside from those very specific things, I like my job (really). And I'm very plesant to work with. AND I get to spend the holidays with my family for the first time in a very very long time, so I am thankful of that, no matter what godforsaken firey pit of hell distractions I must put up with along the way.
__________________
I'm back!
Hildegard_von_Knittin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hildegard_von_Knittin For This Useful Post:
ecb (11-26-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock
 
Hildegard_von_Knittin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: dissertation research hell
Posts: 11,078
Thanks: 107
Thanked 205 Times in 172 Posts
Dear Hallmark,

I love my job. I ate some oyster stew that disagreed with me, and it sent my emotions out of wack.

Pweeze dont' fire me.

I love you. And hoops and yoyo too.

Love,
Hildie
__________________
I'm back!
Hildegard_von_Knittin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hildegard_von_Knittin For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (11-26-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe
 
auburnchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,382
Thanks: 3,280
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin View Post
Dear Hallmark,

I love my job. I ate some oyster stew that disagreed with me, and it sent my emotions out of wack.

Pweeze dont' fire me.

I love you. And hoops and yoyo too.

Love,
Hildie
__________________
Nathalie - AuburnChick's Adventures

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #17
Crycket
Working the Gusset
 
Crycket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON - Canada
Posts: 1,675
Thanks: 273
Thanked 307 Times in 251 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin View Post
And, Helloooooooooooo why do people insist on arguing with me and "well I was here last week and they let me buy 2 crappy things with only 3 cards" Well, lady, I'm sorry the dumbass that helped you before did it wrong... she probably didn't want to hear your whining, either.
Yeah....my personal fave was when ppl would go into something, and then when you finally give in with the qualifier "I could get in big trouble by doing this" they just look at you as if you aren't doing them any favours...nice...really nice...!
__________________
Adopt one today! Adopt one today!


Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (11-26-2008)
Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 AM   #18
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset
 
lelvsdgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Humboldt County CA
Posts: 1,366
Thanks: 1,016
Thanked 431 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Crycket View Post
Yeah....my personal fave was when ppl would go into something, and then when you finally give in with the qualifier "I could get in big trouble by doing this" they just look at you as if you aren't doing them any favours...nice...really nice...!
I worked years in retail and I feel your pain. What I did was say "would you like to speak to a manager? They may be able to solve your concern" If they say yes, then the manager who gets paid to deal with this stuff makes the final decision. If they say no, they usually shut up and move on.
While I no longer work in retail, I still work daily with the public and it's not any better here in the public sector. People are just as nasty and rude despite the fact that they are getting their services for free.
__________________


http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity


OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset
 
lelvsdgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Humboldt County CA
Posts: 1,366
Thanks: 1,016
Thanked 431 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin View Post
[RANT]
I started worked at Hallmark at the end of September because I was too poor to live (hehe). We started putting out Christmas stuff my *second* week of work. Seriously. We've been playing this damn Cheryl Crow Christmas Crap for TWO MONTHS ALREADY.

Further, we have so much Christmas Crap that we've had to take down some of the regular crap we sell. More and more frequently people are coming in and asking "do you have such-and-such?" and I have to say "Oh, no, I'm sorry, we took those down to make room for Holiday items. We'll get them back in January!" Most of those customers then remind me that it's my *personal* fault that what they're looking for isn't out anymore and that it's my *personal* fault that Hallmark decides Christmas starts right after freaking Labor day.

Don't even get me started on the "get this extra crappy Christmas crap for only 14.95 with each purchase of 3 cards".... hello, three cards. Not three boxes of cards. Not 2 boxes of cards and a card. Not 1 box and two cards. THREE CARDS people. And if you want 2 extra crappy christmas crap things??? Guess what, you have to buy three more cards... that's why it says each. And, Helloooooooooooo why do people insist on arguing with me and "well I was here last week and they let me buy 2 crappy things with only 3 cards" Well, lady, I'm sorry the dumbass that helped you before did it wrong... she probably didn't want to hear your whining, either.

And then there's the disembodied santa heads, with 3-foot beards. You just let that sink into your Christmassy little brain, and think about the horror that can instill on your holiday season.

And WEBKINS. Oh my GODDESS the WEBKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, it's not the webkins. It's the kids who want the webkins. And the idiot parents who let them come in and go "LOOK MOM A CHICKEN" "OOOOOO it's a SNAKE!!!!!!!" "HEY! There's a PINK POODLE! YIPPEEEEEEEEE" while pulling out every freaking webkin and tossing them aside/on the floor/randomly around the area while Mom looks on and says "that's nice dear, maybe you can ask Santa..."

[/RANT]

I do get to wear the cool christmas light necklaces though. I guess that makes up for some things. Oh, and honestly, aside from those very specific things, I like my job (really). And I'm very plesant to work with. AND I get to spend the holidays with my family for the first time in a very very long time, so I am thankful of that, no matter what godforsaken firey pit of hell distractions I must put up with along the way.
This whole post is brilliant and every person who has worked retail can relate! I must say that people like to make things your *personal fault* even in the public sector... But I love this!
__________________


http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity


OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #20
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset
 
Doodknitwit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 285
Thanked 309 Times in 293 Posts
"If it were up to me, a small token gift for those closest to me would be enough. A good meal with those you choose to spend time with.
Nothing elaborate, with the spare need to "impress" others...just token kindness and a well deserved piece of calm and serenity in an overly busy world....

Thanks....I feel a little better now "

amen! well said.
__________________
__________________
Doodknitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
And this one makes three feministmama What'cha Knittin'? 11 07-10-2008 08:54 AM
GAH!! RANTY RANTY VENT! SabrinaJL General Knitting 5 12-19-2007 08:00 PM
OT: sewing a laptop case (sort of ranty) jolenel General Knitting 0 12-04-2006 04:56 PM
Who makes dresses? VictoiseC Pattern Central 5 03-01-2006 12:22 PM
OT: D(ang)H makes me so MAD!!! bekahdrmom General Knitting 23 10-15-2005 08:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.