Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
apainter0703
Casting On

Is knitting supposed to make me cry? HELP!
OMG! I am soooo frustrated that I can't learn this! I have been in tears trying to figure out how to go from "Casting on" to knitting my first row. I don't UNDERSTAND! I am so confused! I usually pick things up pretty quickly, and I am so annoyed that I can't learn this skill quickly! Isn't knitting supposed to be relaxing? GRRRR...

BTW - Thanks for the video on Casting on - The "I Taught Myself Knitting" Kit from Michael's was very confusing to me. You need a video on how to start the very first row -and it needs to be in slow motion!

Thanks, I will visit this sight frequently, I'm sure!

*Amy
apainter0703 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
SLP
Casting On

^Keep searching youtube videos on casting on and knitting, it took me over a week and viewing all kinds of videos just to learn basic knit stitch, but I did learn it.

Last edited by Shandeh : 12-01-2008 at 01:49 PM.
SLP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SLP For This Useful Post:
apainter0703 (12-01-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
I'm sorry you're frustrated! Believe me, I know how you feel. When I first started knitting, I thought I would NEVER understand the knit stitch.

I used free videos online (like the ones Amy has made here), and I also purchased a knitting CD at Michaels. Both of these things helped tremendously. I would play the videos, with my yarn and needles in my hands, and practice while watching them over and over again.

If you want to see how the first row of knitting is started, check out Amy's video of a small project on this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Good luck!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I was also going to suggest watching the demo that Shandeh linked to.

Some very good pictures and a video here, too.
http://www.community.knitpicks.com/notes

This one is very basic and shows english knitting so if you knit continental you can skip this one.
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/803_knit-stitch.htm

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Heathro67
Casting On

I haven't been knitting for very long, but I did find that it helps tremendously if you have a friend who knits. I still think that knitting the first row is the most difficult part of a project, but once I'm in a few rows the stitches go much more easily (and with less concentration). Since you're looking for videos I'm guessing you don't really have anyone around you who does knit, but if there's any way you can get your hands on a project that's been started for you, I'd take the opportunity. Then when you go to knit your first row yourself, things will look much simpler.
Heathro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heathro67 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Mike
Working the Gusset

Try a different method.

The page I printed out to start with was English and I threw my needles often.
Then I found Combined and that got me going quickly. Once I got that going and saw what I thought were limitations I easily switched to Continental.

Also start with small swatches so you can get somewhere faster, even if that somewhere is starting over.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

I was the EXACT same way. I couldn't get the purl stitch done, the knit stitch was even worse at first. I cried to!! I actually put my instructions, the yarn and the needles away for 1 week. It took me SIX weeks to get the first 10 rows correct. It's all about practice. I learned a lot from my mistakes. Sometimes mistakes can be a good thing. I'll tell ya...I couldn't get past the 2nd to 3rd row done without making at least 2 mistakes. I learned by DVD's...there's one tape that has excellent beginner instructions.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Begin...8164236&sr=8-2

Please don't give up it will be SO benificial. It was to me.
Don't do this
Heather

Crochet Patterns and Videos
http://crochetpatterns09.blogspot.com/
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heatherg23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
reeny
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree with trying a different method. When i first tried to teach myself to knit I had a book that only showed English style. I hated it. Decided knitting wasn't for me and stuck to crochet. Two years later while I was watching my mother knit I decided to try again. She is a continental knitter but we didn't know those terms abut it looked so natural. She told me that she knits the wrong way, and couldn't teach me. After that I sought out instruction on how to do it "the wrong way" and the videos on this site are what made me the knitter I am today (which is far from an excellent knitter, but definitely a happy one--a far cry from where i started). So watch the videos, play around with it, don't be afraid to make mistakes. I used to twist all my purls and had no idea until I read an article on twisted stitches and decided to recheck the continental purling method. I was wrapping the wrong way. oops.
reeny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reeny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
crocee
Knitting the Flap

I have tried for years to learn to knit. Both by looking in books and having other try to teach me. I just couldn't grasp the concept. I am left handed and couldn't hold the yarn in my right hand as everyone else was doing, even in those silly books. I watched Amy's cast on video for continental and I learned to cast on correctly. Then I found the video for the knit stitch. This started me running off in the right direction. I have gone from not knowing a thing to knitting a very nice sock in just over 2 weeks. Look at all the videos on this site and you will learn with out tears.
Andi
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crocee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
apainter0703
Casting On

Thanks for the encouragement and links! I will try again soon, but I need to let it go for a few days!
*Amy C
apainter0703 is offline   Reply With Quote