Old 12-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Is there ANY yarn that doesn't pill???
I've made way too many wool/wool blend sweaters that after wearing once, look horrible! I've used KP Merino Style, Euro Yarns Peru DK Luxury, Kathmandu DK, and more.
What yarns look good, feel good and wear well?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Merino style is notorious for pilling. Merino in general pills, but I think that yarn in particular is extra pill-y.

I've heard this stuff is nice, but I haven't used it.
G J (12-04-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I recently read that yarns that are more tightly plied pill less and in my experience this tends to be true. I made an entire blanket out of Manos del Uruguay and it has pilled horribly! It is a handspun yarn that doesn't have much of a twist.
I made socks out of Koigu, which has quite a twist to it and they aren't pilling at all.

Take a look at the yarn you're using and perhaps try to use one that has been plied a little more tightly and see if perhaps that makes a difference!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
G J (12-04-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
breakfastattiffanys09
Casting On

Oooh you live in texas too!
Ok the kind i use for scarves and hats and blankets is called "I Love This Yarn!"
It's very soft and doesn't bleed.

~ Sara

OTN:Scarf for my school librarian
breakfastattiffanys09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breakfastattiffanys09 For This Useful Post:
G J (12-04-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
newamy
Working the Gusset

They say if you remove pills it eventually stops...but sometimes you got to wonder. It's due to the fiber getting rubbed and pulled on. Like felting on a tiny scale.

I have a pair of mittens I made in Brown Sheep Lambs Pride that I've worn pretty regularly. They are about 2 years old. They get the occasional pill but usually just pull it off and it's fine. They still look like new. For this reason I want to make a cardigan out of lambs pride one of these days.

I have used Elizabeth Lavold Silky wool and while it pills a little it's not much, mostly where the sleeves rub the body of the sweater and again the pills are easily removed it still looks good. This sweater is only a couple months old but I've worn it a fair bit.

I've also used unspun Icelandic from School House Press. It isn not the softest of wools but warm and curiously fluffy. It has not pilled at all.

I have a new sweater in Berroco Ultra Alpaca, I've worn it about 3 times and it hasn't pilled yet but the alpaca is starting to "bloom" and make it look a bit fuzzy. So the jury is still out.

On the contrary side Bershire from vally yarns pills alot, I have sweater/coat in the bulky that I'm constantly removing pills from and shaving. And cascade 220 superwash pills pretty quickly too.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
G J (12-04-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The softer yarns are usually soft because they're plied less tightly, therefore they'll pill. So if you want less pilling, you need one that's plied tighter, which might mean that it isn't as soft. Or you can knit the soft ones at a really tight gauge which reduces the pilling.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
G J (12-04-2008)
Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Oh, no, I'm not happy to hear the Kathmandu DK pills. :-(

A knitter friend of mine has a sweater she made decades ago (and has used) and it still looks beautiful. I think it may have had a better twist like the others are saying. I don't know what kind of wool it was, but it was wool, so some of it doesn't get yucky looking.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
mork75
Casting On

This goes to the girl named breakfastattiffanys. If I'm not mistaken, the other ladies are asking about natural fibers. I believe that the yarn you are talking about you can but it from Hobby Lobby, and it's not natural fibers, it is made of acrylic/man made. Do not get me wrong, I've used this yarn (and I too love it), and you are correct in that it's MUCH softer than Red heart's acrylic. It's NOT however, as warn as the others.
mork75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
That is an interesting question Gina. I am going to watch for all the replies. I too would love to find a yarn that really doesn't pill.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
I really appreciate all the yarn suggestions.
I'd love even more--I'm keeping a list! I wish people would comment more on this on Ravelry! I have to buy almost all my yarn online (no LYS) and I rely heavily on input from others! I thought the kathmandu wouldn't pill b/c it's not as soft as some of the others. So much for that theory!

So what do you use for getting the pills off? I have a "sweater stone", but it doesn't work that well. I'm looking for items and brands and where to buy.

Thanks again for input!