Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
MMario - thanks

I wasn't shooting for a final pattern, I may try that tomorrow, just to see if the idea would work. Thanks for the help.

I am looking forward to the short row method. I tried to work that out on the way home tonight. With over a hour commute it gives a lot of time to work ideas out. However, I haven't worked the short row out.

BTW - Real men wear kilts and are not afraid to knit LACE or is it that real men knit lace and are not afraid to wear kilts?

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Wow, you guys are talented!

I would love a u-shaped shawl, I think that's a fabulous idea.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
MMario
Turning the Heel

Okay! I've got pdf's of two U-shaped. ONE (Slingshot) is done end to end with short rows - I didn't put any patterning of any kind in it, just the basic shaping.

The other (Growler) is a combination of pi-shawl shaping on the body/back and triangle shaping on the front/ends. I threw in some cabling on the main part of this....

people can email me at mmario at familyoffaire dot com for copies - or if you happen to be a member of MMarioKKnits I should have them posted there tonight or tomorrow.

MMario
Abbily (12-04-2008), cacunn (12-04-2008), Denise in Michigan (12-04-2008), Season (12-05-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Season
Casting On

Chris: I read your reply and MMario's comments that your math was right on. I confess, I didn't understand the columns of numbers on first quick reading but am printing so I can read/absorb more slowly. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I think I will learn much as my brain wraps around this. Best wishes.
Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #15
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Season View Post
Chris: I read your reply and MMario's comments that your math was right on. I confess, I didn't understand the columns of numbers on first quick reading but am printing so I can read/absorb more slowly. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I think I will learn much as my brain wraps around this. Best wishes.

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Seasons/MMario

No. ----------Inc.
Row- inc.--- every--- total
--1 ---- 0 -------------- 70
--2 ---- 7 ----- 10 ----- 77
--4 ---- 7 ----- 11 ----- 84
--7 ---- 7 ----- 12 ----- 91
-10---- 7 ------13 ------98
Seasons - sorry part of the problem is the way html handles spaces by compressing them.
Again, I assumed 7 stitches per inch and 8 rows per inch. I have a 20 inch collar and the scarf would have to go around only 1/2 of the neck. Therefore the inter part of the scarf would be 10 inches or 70 stitches. If the scarf is 10 inches wide the outer edge would be 41 inches or 287 stitches. This means that I would have to increase between 70 and 287 stitches over 80 rows (8 rows per times 10 inches).

The table is really 4 columns the first column is the row number Excel calculated for the increases. The second column is number of increases per row, evenly distributed across the row. The third column is the number of stitches between increases for that row. The last column is the total number of stitches after the increases ( a check figure).

What I am going to try is increase 7 stitches every other row until 287 stitches are reached. This number will probably need to adjusted some what as I test the concept.

Does this help?

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #16
Season
Casting On

Chris: Yes, that helps. Thanks again.
Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
jtowner64
Casting On

Help for you
I went to a class on Sunday and got this simply pattern. Although it is made on large (13) needles with Alp Premier, Dazzle or Light yarns (by Feza), you can make it on size 10 with worsted yarn. You would just make as many rows as you want, then make the ties - or not make the ties.

Cast on 25 stitches
K2, yo, k across to last 2 sts, yo, k2
That's it - you do this for as many rows as you want. It will make a "rounded" bottom.

For the ties, when you just about reach the length you want, place a marker and cast on 5 sts. Knit those five stitches, slip the marker, k2, yo, k across to last 2 sts, yo, k2. Turn.

Place marker, *cast on 5 stitches. Knit those 5 stitches, slip the marker, k2, yo, k across to 2 stitches before the marker, yo, k2, slip marker, k5. Turn

Repeat from * until you have 15 sts on the end of the needle (before the marker). Now, you can continue stitching the make the tie rows longer, but don't add more stitches onto the ends. Only your yo at the beginning and end of your rows as indicated in the main body of the shawl.

Also, you do not have to make ties, but just continue knitting in the main pattern until the shawl is as long as you want it to be.

BTW: The shawl stitched with the size 13 needles makes a delightful lacy shawl for dressy occasions or to wear to church on Sunday!
jtowner64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's great that you found a cool pattern, but you may not know that reposting the entire pattern in any forum violates copyright laws. Even a free pattern is owned by someone, in this case it would be the yarn company. I think this one is on Ravelry and at the yarn site - could you please edit your post to take out the pattern and put in a link to it?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote