Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Wouldn't a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

IMHO, it's pretty sad that "we" (society) will/have been/are/might judge this child based solely on his name.
lizardknits (12-18-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I think that if they had used only one of the two names, he might survive a child hood....but to use both of them together...and I bet you at home they do call him by both names....is just a little cruel.

I know we live in a time where it is hard to be unique...but there are other ways to be unique in naming a child...

Nobody needs that kind of burden in life....

I was just looking up weird names and came across this "I think that calling a boy "Jaymz" instead of James, or "Adhym" instead of Adam, is saddling them with a lifetime of annoyance where they are obliged to spell their names on every occasion, or correct other's mistakes. It's a bit different when a child's name is unusual and needs to be spelled out for that reason, but weird spelling of common names must drive these poor kids mad when they become adults." (http://forums.families.com/strange-baby-names,t340)

As one of those kids...I have to say it is...and mine is not even that bad....I am Crysta...and I can't tell you how many different spellings I get...and never the right one...not to mention, I very often get Crystal....*sigh*

I guess in the end it is nothing to complain about when you think about that poor boy!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin View Post

IMHO, it's pretty sad that "we" (society) will/have been/are/might judge this child based solely on his name.
Well, after reading the article, I don't know that it will just be by the kid's name. People are also going to meet the parents, and when daddy is striding around in black SS boots from WWII, it doesn't add favorably to the outlook this poor kid is gonna get.

And, IMHO, I think the "society judging the child based solely on his name" is putting on blinders. I mean face it.....how many of us as kids had kids picking on us by turning "normal" names into something to tease you with? Some I can remember are "Moore the wh*re", "Smelly Kelly", "No-brain Jane" "Picketts has rickets", ad nauseum. Besides, I fail to see anyone slamming the kid, only the idiot parents whose cleverness I personally fail to see.

I see it as a form of child abuse. Not as obvious as bruises, but the pain this kid is going to suffer is going to be equally as bad. They, as (and I use the term loosely) adults knew EXACTLY what type of reaction they'd get - especially when they used both the first and last name of that monster in the child's name. Adoph as a middle name? Odd, but I don't think it would be any problem. Adolph Hitler? Totally different story. And as for "Aryan Nation", heaven help her as well.

Heck, if this is acceptible, why not just name kids A**hole, **** Weed, Dumb Sh*t,.....well, you get my drift. Sometimes a name is more than just a name. And, if the parents think the names are so great, why didn't they just legally change theirs and leave their kids in peace?
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Crycket View Post
I think that if they had used only one of the two names, he might survive a child hood....but to use both of them together...and I bet you at home they do call him by both names....is just a little cruel.

I know we live in a time where it is hard to be unique...but there are other ways to be unique in naming a child...

Nobody needs that kind of burden in life....

I was just looking up weird names and came across this "I think that calling a boy "Jaymz" instead of James, or "Adhym" instead of Adam, is saddling them with a lifetime of annoyance where they are obliged to spell their names on every occasion, or correct other's mistakes. It's a bit different when a child's name is unusual and needs to be spelled out for that reason, but weird spelling of common names must drive these poor kids mad when they become adults." (http://forums.families.com/strange-baby-names,t340)

As one of those kids...I have to say it is...and mine is not even that bad....I am Crysta...and I can't tell you how many different spellings I get...and never the right one...not to mention, I very often get Crystal....*sigh*

I guess in the end it is nothing to complain about when you think about that poor boy!

See, I'd have gotten yours wrong....all the Crysta's I know spell their name either Christa or Krista.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #15
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin View Post

Originally Posted by miccisue View Post
Besides, I fail to see anyone slamming the kid, only the idiot parents whose cleverness I personally fail to see.
That's what I was about to say.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

IMHO I think these parents need to be committed to an institution and the poor kids given names that won't haunt them through their life.
If we ignore bad things in our history they will be repeated.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Why did they LET them name their child that? There are laws against naming your children offensive names. Why did they let this get past? What if they wanted to name them Saddam Hussein or Bin Laden. Would they let those past?

Some other articles I read say that the parents have swastikas in every room of their house. They don't believe the holocaust actually happened. They are certainly closed minded and extremely messed up. (Neither one works either. They claim disability and live off of social security. That's a whole 'nother can of worms!) You'd better believe the child will be taught to always use his full name. If and when he starts school, I feel sorry for the kindergarten teacher! (I have a feeling that they will have issues with public schools and keep their kids home, but that's just me!)

Kelly
Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #18
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

I'm sorry, but no one is going to hear that name and not make fun of that boy or treat him different, even if his stupid parents are the ones to blame. Yes, they'll think his parents are morons, but they'll still take it out on the child. That's how life is, no matter how much we want it to change. Kids will tease other kids until the end of time. As long as there are parents out there who are allowed to pro-create and name their children despicable names there will be teasing going on.
Those of us who know it's wrong will teach our kids those correct values, but as long as there are idiots out there it'll only continue.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I too am shocked that the state of PA would allow the parents to register a birth certificate and make those legal names to be used on a drivers license etc. The problem is we are a sue happy nation and I guarantee you there is a lawyer somewhere willing to take on their plight and sue anyone who tells them NO. Of course they did this for attention and of course they are racist. The fact that they claim disability and collect state/federal aide yet continue to produce children is an entirely different soap box that I need to stay off in this forum.
Unfortunately DCFS cannot remove children from the home b/c they have a crappy name (see lawyer comment above). I've never seen a child removed for anything other than physical abuse or neglect and even that is a long process.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
The kids are going to study WWII and the holocaust in school and these names will be mentioned. They will be teased for sure. And names like that will change them for better or worse..they may become stronger or they may suffer emotional issues because of it. Sad.

As for it being sad that anyone should be judged by their name?.. I agree, but it's a fact of life unfortunately. :( I think the issue here is really the parents though..what kind of parents would name their children things that are going to hurt them. Someday (unless they change their own names at 18) they are going to have to get jobs. Who is going to want to hire someone named Adolph Hitler?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote