Old 01-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
January KH-KAL: Seamless blanket project!
Ok, so here we are! January 1, 2009!

The "planning" thread has been closed...we can't post in it anymore, however, you might like to read the notes that everyone posted. It was suggested that we close the planning thread and begin the actual KAL with fresh new thread.

The seamless blanket project can be worked in two ways:
1) the Log Cabin style
2) the Traditional Blocks/Squares style (using intarsia technique across the rows that removes the need to seam the blocks together)

Also, you can use up similar weights of STASH YARN, making your blanket into what I affectionately call a "seamless stashghan"! Many of our knitters are down with using up stash yarn, but others will purchase "on sale" yarn!

Whatever floats your boat!

It should be made clear that this blanket doesn't have to be completed during the month of January. Many of you have other projects rolling, and cannot devote your undivided attention to the seamless blanket project! That's ok! Some of us just don't have enough stash yarn to finish the blanket...and that's ok, too! You can add rows and blocks to this blanket as stash yarn becomes available to you!

The Log Cabin free pattern (two sizes, two styles) is located here.

Of course, the intarsia method for the Traditional Blocks/Squares style blanket is demonstrated here in Amy's video clips.

I began my Log Cabin (the Moderne baby blanket) this morning while DH and I were watching HANCOCK on OnDemand!

I am using worsted weight acrylics, and a US8 needle.

OK, then! Let's roll!

PS: here is small photo of a finished Log Cabin Stashghan:

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 05-03-2010 at 05:23 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Frulanuprak (03-26-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Yay. I got mine started. I'm doing the log cabin. I got my center square done and am on my second "log". Should we post progress pics as we go? I've never done a KAL before, so I really don't know what we do here.

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Oh let's definitely post progress photos!

Reminder: always bind off with a right side facing you.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Lieuvena (01-01-2009)
Old 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I would also like to add that you can do any pattern if log cabin isn't your thing. The idea is to make any blanket with stash yarn.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (01-01-2009)
Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
AprilT
Casting On

Reporting in :)
Hi, Ladies!
I decided to do the adult Moderne LC in MDK. I will start my first block after I finish this post. I'm already having a blast and I haven't even started!
I have wanted to do a KAL with Artlady ever since I read an old post of a KAL you hosted, LOL! You were so meticulous and gave everyone so much information! Much nicer than the experience I had had with my one and only KAL.

I am using worsted weight acrylic/wool blend, size 8US needle. I plotted the colors as well as I could, I don't have enough in my stash to plan the whole 'ghan. However, that's part of the fun

Posting pics sounds great. Let me get off here and get started.

April
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
Oh oh oh! *raises hand* me me me!! Ok, now i must get started.... *looks left, looks right* checks yarn stash... trip out to ... yarn store... woot.

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
I'll be starting mine tomorrow, I went and smashed my finger last night (got the tip caught between the edge of the table and the top of the dining room chair... didn't think the table was that heavy! and No, it's not broken, just really bruised but the swelling has already gone down a LOT) and the baby kimono wasn't going so well afterwards (it's easy to see where my tension changed because i couldn't crook my pinky like i usually do to keep the tension even) and i frogged it...

tomorrow night i go to a SNB meetup... be the perfect thing to bring along
Old 01-02-2009, 03:25 AM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I am doing the Moderne Baby Blanket Log Cabin style...and I have finished logs 1-3 and have cast on for log 4!

BTW: I use a slim Crystal Palace crochet hook to pull yarn through the edge for the "picking up stitches". It is so much easier. When I get about 20 stitches loaded onto the crochet hook then I slide them off the other end onto the knitting needle, turning them around in the right position as I go. I also place a stitch marker every 20 stitches so that I don't have to re-count stitches a zillion times.

Garter stitch may be boring, but it sure is easy to work on while watching old movies and such! We watched old movies all day...and the Dog Whisperer re-runs!

It's been torrential rain all day...really lousy sloppy foggy socked-in weather. Nice day to knit and hunker down on the sofa with 3 dogs!

Artlady at Rav
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
auntcrafty (01-03-2009), Lieuvena (01-02-2009)
Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

I've started my Stashgan and the yarn of total evillness has finally started to behave... Only to find that it is a heavier weight than "Recommended". which means I've been playing with a calculator and measurements all afternoon to try to work out how to gain maximum destashability. so when I get back from our holidays I'm going to frog my second log, and redo it doubled up.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I am doing the Moderne Baby Blanket Log Cabin style...and I have finished logs 1-3 and have cast on for log 4!

BTW: I use a slim Crystal Palace crochet hook to pull yarn through the edge for the "picking up stitches". It is so much easier. When I get about 20 stitches loaded onto the crochet hook then I slide them off the other end onto the knitting needle, turning them around in the right position as I go. I also place a stitch marker every 20 stitches so that I don't have to re-count stitches a zillion times.

Garter stitch may be boring, but it sure is easy to work on while watching old movies and such! We watched old movies all day...and the Dog Whisperer re-runs!

It's been torrential rain all day...really lousy sloppy foggy socked-in weather. Nice day to knit and hunker down on the sofa with 3 dogs!
Thank you so much for that idea! I'm on my 4th log and was already starting to hate counting several times for each one. I will definatley be doing this. Thanks again. I'll post a pic at the end of the day.

I'm not sure how much I'll get to work on it today. DD (11 months old) is sick, she was up all night and is very clingy right now. I will work on it when I can though.

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote