Old 01-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #21
Marria
Working the Gusset

I've never been prescribed Levaquin myself, but it sounds like a lot of people here have had serious problems with it. I think that a lot of times drug companies rush to get their medications to the market and they really don't do adequate studies. However, you can report problems with medications to the FDA here:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...tch-online.htm

It sounds like it might be worth your time to do this.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (01-01-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
Indygirl

Marria, Thanks I did use this site to report my problem.https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...tch-online.htm
I have been told, it could take up to a year for this to go away. If it ever does!!
I'm getting a little impatient with all this. I know some people are a lot worse off then me, that doesn't change the fact that I would like to be able to use my arms and shoulders for more that 2 min's at a time. I know, I sound like a big baby SORRY :-)
Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this...and it is NOT complaining or whining to want to have full use of your arms for everyday tasks and knitting! It's completely understandable how frustrated you are...I would be too.

It sounds like you have told your doctor about your pain. If it were me, I think I'd keep talking to the doctor about possible alternatives or at least keep him/her updated to the fact that it is NOT getting better. Doctors are good at what they do, but sometimes we forget that they serve a LOT of people and unless you keep in touch with them about your side effects, results and such, they don't know what's going on and thus cannot be expected to help.

There's got to be a way for you to get the relief you need without such drastic side effects. I am praying for your health and that you are soon pain free.

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Fun For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (01-01-2009)
Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #24
Indygirl

Originally Posted by Knit4Fun View Post
I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this...and it is NOT complaining or whining to want to have full use of your arms for everyday tasks and knitting! It's completely understandable how frustrated you are...I would be too.

It sounds like you have told your doctor about your pain. If it were me, I think I'd keep talking to the doctor about possible alternatives or at least keep him/her updated to the fact that it is NOT getting better. Doctors are good at what they do, but sometimes we forget that they serve a LOT of people and unless you keep in touch with them about your side effects, results and such, they don't know what's going on and thus cannot be expected to help.

There's got to be a way for you to get the relief you need without such drastic side effects. I am praying for your health and that you are soon pain free.
Thank You very much. I do know and believe in God's healing. I have gone back to work for a while. It is a repetitive movement I do with my arms. It's not a hard job, but I do move my arms back and forth all day. I have turned in my notice. I have two more weeks to work. I am then not working at all. I had already retired sometime back. I was doing a little extra for extra spending money. I took two weeks off a couple of weeks ago to give my arms the rest I thought they needed. They do get some better when I don't use them much.
I keep thinking of all the things I wanted to knit up. I guess that can wait though I have just been worrying that I might not ever be able to knit again. I'll bet I have at least $5,000 in yarn in my stash and that's a low estimate
Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #25
Marria
Working the Gusset

I think I may have said this before, but if your regular doc won't do anything about the pain, ask to be referred to a physical medicine doctor, also known as a physiatrist. Here's an explanation of what that is from the website of the doctor I see:

http://idahopmr.com/what_is_physiatry.php

He has helped tremendously with my chronic pain (from 2 car accidents and a bad fall).

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (01-01-2009)
Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #26
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Indygirl View Post
Marria, Thanks I did use this site to report my problem.https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...tch-online.htm
I have been told, it could take up to a year for this to go away. If it ever does!!
I'm getting a little impatient with all this. I know some people are a lot worse off then me, that doesn't change the fact that I would like to be able to use my arms and shoulders for more that 2 min's at a time. I know, I sound like a big baby SORRY :-)
If you don't mind my asking, who told you it could take that long to clear up? I know I didn't take the medication as long as you did, since I quit using it the second day I started having problems with my forearms. They're OK now, but the elbow (the first pain site I noticed) and my knees still are achy. I'm wondering if it could take me that long to get back to normal, too.....
Thanks!!!!!!!!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #27
Indygirl

Originally Posted by miccisue View Post
If you don't mind my asking, who told you it could take that long to clear up? I know I didn't take the medication as long as you did, since I quit using it the second day I started having problems with my forearms. They're OK now, but the elbow (the first pain site I noticed) and my knees still are achy. I'm wondering if it could take me that long to get back to normal, too.....
Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Miccisue, When I called the E.N.T. Dr's office about my problem. I talked with a nurse. She checked on it and called me back. She said if it was a severe type side effect, It could take up to a year for all the symptom's to go away. I'm in hopes that's not the case with me :-)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #28
whipstitch
Ribbing the Cuff

My husband got better as soon as he got off Levaquin and on to a Z-pack. The drug company must be pushing Levaquin hard because it doesn't seem to have a very good track record with patients. Whatever this sinus bug is that hit everyone this year, it's especially nasty. Hope you feel better soon!

OTN: On the Moon
In queue: El Capitan cap, Maja Shawl from Knitty, Clapotis!

I am also whipstitch on Ravelry. Go ahead, friend me!
whipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whipstitch For This Useful Post:
Indygirl (01-03-2009)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
Indygirl

Whipstitch, Glad your husband is better Mine on the other hand is an on going sinus problem, had it for years.
Dr. is wanting to do surgery on my sinus. I guess I have had an injury at some time in my life that has messed up my sinus drains. He showed me my xrays of how close together they were. He said that's why I couldn't breath out of that side and it gets stopped up and infections get started. I might have that done down the road. I feel like I need to get this problem with my arms and shoulders cleared up first. When I do have my sinuses taken care of, It won't be that Dr. I have do the surgery
BOO to Levaquin!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #30
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

Indygirl, I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having, but thank you for sharing your problems here! I have chronic sinus issues, but thankfully have never been prescribed levaquin, though now I know not to take it!
My sinuses are really small, and I have allergies, which get me all plugged up, and then infections start, it's just terrible. Someone from my church recently told me about this nasal spray she found at the health food store, Nutrabiotic Nasal Spray. It's got grapefruit seed extract in it, which is a natural antibiotic.
Anyway, I love this stuff! I was on an antibiotic that just did not kill the infection I had, and was about to go back to the doctor for a stronger one, but was resisting because I really don't like taking too many antibiotics. That nasal spray helped so much, and all the infection was killed off in about a week. It was awesome.
I know you've got issues with sinus drainage, but wanted to tell you about the nutrabiotic spray. Maybe it could help?