Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #51
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Artlady,
Thanks for posting "sister" blanket. It has inspired me. I think I am really on the verge of starting a log cabin blanket. I know I have the stash for it. I want to finish up a hat that has been giving a heck of a time for my DD. Then, I will join the fun.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #52
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
"Sister" aka Terry from Maryland...used the Moderne Log Cabin design...the full size. Not the baby size Moderne.

Here is a LINK. Her blanket is the one on the left hand side.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #53
kellybigeyes
Knitting the Flap

ArtLady... I am thinking about trying out a log cabin dishcloth. I have never done the log cabin before. I saw your picture on picking up sts with a crochet hook. I have never picked up sts before. My question is this....

Do you use a crochet hook that is smaller than the knitting needles or one that is about the same size?

My other question which is a silly I think.... Once you get the sts on the hook... do you just transfer them to the needle?

I am also kellybigeyes at http://www.ravelry.com/
kellybigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #54
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

Hey, I'm glad I've found this thread!
I've been wanting to make a blanket that I can bring to college with me. I want to use dishcloth patterns of all sorts of things I like for example there is a maple leaf cloth, New York state cloth etc. I drew out what it would look like and how much squares I would need and it was a lot and the thought of seaming them all has put my project on hold. I was wondering how I can do it seamlessly but still use the images I want to.
I'm going to use all the worsted weight washable wool I have in my stash then buy more when I've used it all and they'll all be different color squares.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #55
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
auntcrafty - I hope everything goes well for your friend. let us know when she has the baby.
Everything went well -- baby boy was born Monday afternoon. He has been needing to stay in the NICU because he was born so early, but my friend says he is doing great. Little guy was 5 lbs 6oz, 19.5 pounds. Now I have to really get going on the blanket!

"....that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love... Colossians 2:2
auntcrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auntcrafty For This Useful Post:
Karina (01-07-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #56
Karina
Working the Gusset

Penny - thanks for letting us know. Congratulations to the family on their little bundle of joy. better get them needles out.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 AM   #57
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by kellybigeyes View Post
ArtLady... I am thinking about trying out a log cabin dishcloth. I have never done the log cabin before. I saw your picture on picking up sts with a crochet hook. I have never picked up sts before. My question is this....

Do you use a crochet hook that is smaller than the knitting needles or one that is about the same size?

My other question which is a silly I think.... Once you get the sts on the hook... do you just transfer them to the needle?
I pick the stitches up at the "head end" of course, and after I have about 10-20 stitches crammed onto the crochet hook...I slide them off the crochet hook at the "tail end" one at a time onto the awaiting knitting needle.

No, the crochet hook isn't the same size as the knitting needle. It is smaller. I make it as small as possible, but not so small that the stitches won't load onto the knitting needle. I make them as small as possible so that the pick up row of stitches hugs against the existing edge as closely as possible. I don't want the picked up stitches to have any 'legs'.

When transferring the picked up stitches from the crochet hook onto the knitting needle you have to turn them around so that they are ready to knit on the next regular row. As you pick them up they are turned around. You'll get it when you see it.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #58
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Samsam View Post
Hey, I'm glad I've found this thread!
I've been wanting to make a blanket that I can bring to college with me. I want to use dishcloth patterns of all sorts of things I like for example there is a maple leaf cloth, New York state cloth etc. I drew out what it would look like and how much squares I would need and it was a lot and the thought of seaming them all has put my project on hold. I was wondering how I can do it seamlessly but still use the images I want to.
I'm going to use all the worsted weight washable wool I have in my stash then buy more when I've used it all and they'll all be different color squares.

Thanks!
Yes, you can do them seamlessly using the 'intarsia' technique. There is a video clip here at KH.

Basically, here's what you do: let's say you want your blanket to be 4 big squares across and 6 squares tall. Let's say each square is 30 stitches wide. So cast on 120 stitches using your border color. Then on row 1...using color A, knit 30 stitches for square #1...using color B, knit 30 stithces for square #2...etc...repeat same process for colors C & D.

Turn the work for row 2: work your 30 stitch pattern in color D (square #4)...drop color D, pick up color C (square #3) and twist the two color around each other to prevent a hole and continue on with the 30 st in pattern for square #3.

Etc.

The 'twisting around each other" is the intarsia technique. You can watch the video clip. It is so incredibly easy you might not even need to watch the video...but do so anyway so that your intarsia is neat in the back.

Log #9 for the Moderne baby size LOG CABIN requires intarsia technique, too, cuz log #9 has two color blocks side by side. I'm busy with that log right now.

Let us know if you need any more help! Don't feel embarrassed or shy about asking more questions.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #59
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi everyone... I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I was reading ahead in the pattern because I had seen ArtLady's post on the planning thread about some corrections, and now I have a question... and maybe you can answer it ArtLady since you're on block 9 now.

The pattern says pickup and knit 54 and 54 sts in colors B and D for 108 sts. The correction says to place marker at 63 ridges and pick up and knit 54 and 54 sts for 108 sts. BUT... considering you pick up one stitch from each bound off stitch and/or each end ridge, there should be 126 sts along the edges of blocks 1,3,5, and 7... which is also the number of stitches wide block 8 is at the top, which is the same length.

So, did I miss something in the correction? If you place a marker at 63 ridges, which would be the middle (it looks like anyway!), wouldn't that be 126 sts... the same as block 8? I'm pretty sure this is probably what it is, but thought I'd bring it up here for any new knitters who are a little math challenged... or to straighten me out if I'm not correct!

If you pick up and knit 54 sts within the 63 ridges before and after the marker, you would have puckers, correct?

Just checking before I get to that point and making sure I'm going to do it correctly when I get there.... I'm about halfway through block 7 now.... these blocks are getting bigger and taking longer! I like the baby stashghan so far and will probably drag out some other stash and go for a big one next time.

Sandi
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weezie For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (01-07-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #60
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Everyone's doing so well!!
Artlady, I *love* that afghan by sister you posted so beautiful!!

I have been working on my squares, now I have 14.5 done..and my squares are done from corner to corner in garter stitch, like Granny's Favorite Dishcloth, so I can't figure out if it'd be easier to seam them together at the end or try to do like you suggested Artlady, and pick up stitches from the previous square while knitting the new one

But at least I'm working on it, at any rate! I'd love it if I could actually FINISH it this month! We'll see!