Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #91
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,892 Times in 3,013 Posts
Thanks MamaDawn! That is a really nice pattern! I saved it in my knitting folder, that's for sure!

Well, gang, I am done with logs 1-10. As I look at it, I can see that my lighter yarns are all bunched up on the right side...and the darker colors are all bunched up on the left side...hey...who cares? This isn't being entered in a contest at the State Fair!

I really like it, and I only used Stash Yarn! I used up all the pink, teal green, rainbow variegated, and almost all the purple variegated. Plus, used some plain cream for one side of log#9. I put some stripes every 11th row to jazz it up a bit. I've had these orphaned skeins for years and years.

Now, I gotta decide on a border. Hmmm. I have some cream worsted weight that is on the shiny side. I forget the name of it. Something like Simply Soft. I have enough to do all 4 sides.

Oh BTW: the 'picture frame' mitered border recommends 4 garter ridges before casting off...and you increase at each end of every RS row, using the Kf&b increase in the end stitch. The increases crease the angle which will give the mitered look.

I gotta really think about my border. Will cream be weak looking? I know that a darker color (like the pink) would frame it best. But, I only have a ball of pink the size of an orange. Not enough to count. Shoot.

Well, this IS a STASHGHAN...so there is no buying of yarn for the border. I'd prolly end up with half a skein left to add to Stash!

Log#10 is at the top. I made it more than 18 ridges. I kept knitting til the rainbow variegated ran out. I like how my purple variegated 'pooled' into triangle shapes! Like argyle!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 01-10-2009 at 11:51 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #92
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
Oooh, Artlady, very nice. The tenth log is Way to go.

I finally got onto my fourth log.. third one was giving grief.

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dangles For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-10-2009)
Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 AM   #93
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

Artlady, what about doing cream on the "dark side" (Join the darkside! Sorry, i couldn't resist) and a dark color on the "light side"?
I feel kinda bad. I haven't even gotten around to frogging log 2. maybe I'll do that tonight, I need something brainless.
FV
ArtLady1981 (01-10-2009)
Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 AM   #94
Karina
Working the Gusset

Artlady - your blanket is amazing. it is really interesting how the purple variegated yarn looks different depending on how many stitches you cast on.

Did get one more log done yesterday. had to finish my DH second glove so he could wear it to Kameron's football practice this morning. will aim to get two done today. I am quite surprised how far this Caron Simply Soft goes.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #95
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

For the mitered edge do you increase on the first and last stitch or just the last stitch? I'm far from the end, but would like to figure it out now. Thanks!

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #96
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Lieuvena View Post
For the mitered edge do you increase on the first and last stitch or just the last stitch? I'm far from the end, but would like to figure it out now. Thanks!
You increase at each end of every RS row.

There aren't many RS increase rows. I think 3, cuz the first RS row is the pickup row...and by the time you have 4 garter ridges...you are casting off with a RS facing.

I got two sides done last night...and stitched my first mitered corner together, and it really looks good.

I was rummaging around in my Stash on Ravelry, and discovered some 9 year old Aqua yarn I'd used for a baby blanket for my daugther's first baby! I am using that.
It is dk weight, however, for the border it's working out fine.
Aqua is fitting into the general color scheme pretty good!

Thanks for the idea about using the cream around the dark sides, and a dark color around the lighter sides. That woulda been cool lookin'! But I'm already halfway done now....so I'm stuck with it!

It looks good. I wish I'd had enough of the pepto bismol pink left. I think it woulda been the best overall.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #97
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I haven't done much on the blanket since my last post. I have spent most of my time finishing off a report for Uni that I have to hand in on the 12th and starting my first ever sweater project, its an easy baby cardigan for my cousin who is due in June! I found some nice cotton going cheap in the sales and thought it'd be perfect so just couldn't resist starting it. My report has been neglected since my options came last week so I really had to get on with that too. I don't think i'm gonna finish the blanket anytime soon, term starts again monday!

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #98
dreamsherl
Turning the Heel

Wow ArtLady!!! Your blanket looks wonderful.

dreamsherl
dreamsherl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamsherl For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-10-2009)
Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #99
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by rachejm View Post
I haven't done much on the blanket since my last post. I have spent most of my time finishing off a report for Uni that I have to hand in on the 12th and starting my first ever sweater project, its an easy baby cardigan for my cousin who is due in June! I found some nice cotton going cheap in the sales and thought it'd be perfect so just couldn't resist starting it. My report has been neglected since my options came last week so I really had to get on with that too. I don't think i'm gonna finish the blanket anytime soon, term starts again monday!
Hey there rach! Don't worry about how fast or slow you knit your blanket! The funnest part about a seamless blanket is that you can work on it when you have time. Even if it takes all of 2009, that's ok! Let us know about your progress as you get a log done!

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #100
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Stick a fork in me, I am done!
I am done. Overall size: 38"x50"

You will all like the garter stitch border. I thought it would take eons...but compared to logs 8, 9, & 10...it was a breeze!

The increases at each end of every RS row worked out just perfect for joining the mitres into a picture frame! No stretching to reach each other. I didn't mattress seam mine, I just weaved them together.

Here is it:

Artlady at Rav