Old 01-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

I learned to crochet from diagrams like these:
http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Thi...o_crochet.html

They were in a 'How-to...' booklet from Patons though, since it was the dark ages before computers and the Internet. There are lots of sites with diagrams and video now, so look around and you'll be a pro before you know it.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
KnitTogether
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been crocheting for 30 years, but only knitting for about the last 7 or so. I picked up knitting pretty quick, but crocheting is faster. But I don't think that is just me; I think crochet just goes quicker. Crochet uses more yarn than knitting, which means more $ and a heavier end product. So I often use crochet for afghans, and edgings, and then knitting for other things. I've crocheted myself sweaters, and while they weren't bad, and looked great, I do prefer knitting sweaters. Just my preference. Also, there are two different ways to hold a crochet hook (both of which are perfectly fine); one is to hold it like a pencil, and the other is to hold it like a piece of chalk. You could experiment and see if one way or the other just feels better to you and is easier for you. Keep trying! Crochet makes wonderful embellishments, reverse crochet (also called the crab stitch) is great for finishing edges, as are crocheted laces.
KnitTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
aztec_judy
Ribbing the Cuff

theres also the book : I TAUGHT MYSELF CROCHET ... which happens to be a very good book, with very good pictures and it is now printed for left or right handed crocheters ... nice patterns in it for you to practice on too.
aztec_judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
craftymomma
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow, I was just about to post this same thread!!! Glad there are others out there like me!!! I too have had a tough time learning to crochet.. I have tried about 50 times to teach myself, but its still all greek to me, and like you, I have always heard knitting is alot harder to learn than crochet, so it aggravates me that I taught myself to knit in a few hours but can't quite get crochet. But I have also heard its harder to learn crochet if you already knit, so maybe thats it? I may have to check out some of the sites and books suggested here and try my hand again at it... Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
robkat317
Ribbing the Cuff

I think OffJumpsJack has it bang on the mark!!

I have to say this in addition. Having been a crocheter for 28 years, and learning to knit two years ago took having an open mind about it.........telling myself this (knitting) is going to be a new discovery, telling myself that once I learn it, I will love it. I think people (not saying you) sometimes take on a new task with negative thoughts lingering in their minds and that, in my opinion, just sets them up for failure.

I also want to add that because I was a crocheter first, I found that the Continental method of knitting was much easier for me because you hold the yarn in your left hand......don't know how that will help someone going from knitting to crochet, but I felt compelled to make that comment.

Knitting
OTN ~ Modified Basic Socks, Knitty "Pioneer", Baby Love Diagonal Baby Blanket

On Deck ~ Not sure

Crochet On Deck ~ Vannas Choice Afghan Squared
robkat317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robkat317 For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (01-12-2009)
Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

A Shot in the Dark...
Originally Posted by KnittinChick View Post
For years, I've heard people say that knitting is much harder to do than crochet. I picked up knitting like a duck to water, but I can't crochet to save my life. My mother can crochet without even looking at her hands. She's tried time and time again to teach me, but I just can't do it.
Is there some ancient crochet secret that you only get if you can do a chain stitch? lol
I'd love to learn, so that I can do decorative borders on blankets, and I've seen some beautiful lace patterns.
Can anyone recommend a book for beginners or offer some tips?

Thank you!
Originally Posted by robkat317 View Post
I think OffJumpsJack has it bang on the mark!!

And I have to agree with Mike who pointed out the lack of detail as to what is giving you trouble. Is it the chain stitich? Vocabulary? Notation methods?

I love to knit but my first love, well I married her, but my first love of yarn craft is crochet. It [crochet] isn't knitting. [The languages are different because they have different needs.] Maybe that's part of the problem? [Even] if you can switch between English and Continental or manage cable needles and DPNs or have mastered two-handed Fair Isle doesn't mean you [should expect to be able to] pick up a hook and crochet [like a duck to water]. [If yoiu think of knitting is a duck swimming, then think of crochet as a duck flying.]

[The] bigest difference, I think, is that you need to know two things before each new stitch: First is the type of stitch, and Second is where [what stitch] to [work into].

A chain is most often only your starting foundation. If you have a completed knit project you only need your working yarn in one loop and the above two points of information. What stitch do you want to make and where do you want to put it.

The "Where" question is just as easy as picking up a stitch on a finished knit edge (slevage, CO or BO). The crochet pattern will tell you both the what and where.

Keep in mind that you are not going to soar the skies of crochet in your first attempt. Swimming and flying use different muscles (patterns at least) and those patterns must be learned. Slowly perhaps, but don't get frustrated with that.

I guess that you mom was showing you how to crochet and that'd be like a video if she was sitting beside you or you were looking over her shoulder. If that wasn't helpful then perhaps your learning style is not visual. Tactile is another style of learning that does well with manipulations or using your hands (my DW is a teacher of exceptional children) but I don't claim to know all the learning styles.

Videos:
  • NexStitch has videos of traditional crochet and also Tunisian crochet (commonly call Afghan stitch).
  • Woolcrafting has written instructions with pictures of the basic crochet stitches.
  • Crochet 911 may be helpful with more general information, instructions, and pictures.

Good luck.

And seriously, try using a rope or cord and just your fingers to start with a slip knot and make a chain. If your learning style is tactile, feeling the rope or cord weave around itself should help.

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
missibob
Casting On

Knittenchick, I have the exact same problem. As a matter of fact though, when my girls were little I did crochet a poncho for each of them, at a class at my Church. I have forgotten how over the years. My problem is I can do a chain, but I don't know how to turn to go back on the next row. I am definitely going to watch the video mentioned, and hopefully I can pick it up again.
missibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
robkat317
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post

[The] bigest difference, I think, is that you need to know two things before each new stitch: First is the type of stitch, and Second is where [what stitch] to [work into].

I completely agree.......having attempted to teach a knitter how to crochet, I didn't really know how to explain this to them. This makes complete sense.

Knitting
OTN ~ Modified Basic Socks, Knitty "Pioneer", Baby Love Diagonal Baby Blanket

On Deck ~ Not sure

Crochet On Deck ~ Vannas Choice Afghan Squared
robkat317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robkat317 For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (01-26-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
miraclebaby50
Casting On

man, you are a poet . I like both But right I am a better crocheter than a knitter(been doing it longer) since I was a kid. My mother and grandmother both crocheted.
miraclebaby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miraclebaby50 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
miraclebaby50
Casting On

to Jack again I just learned how to continential knitting with the videos on this site. It is great !!! It uses the" crochet" way of hplding the yarn and moving the hands.
miraclebaby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miraclebaby50 For This Useful Post: