Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
DQ
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post
Oh! Sounds like you can take some of your "American" yarns or pattern books and trade with some UK knitters.

--Jack
Hehe, I love American yarns so it would work for me! My brother is living over there now so I get yarn and magazines for presents
TooCircular (01-13-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap

It's a ten-day tour.. Stratford, York, Scotland, Bristol, etc., but we're staying a few days longer to see more of London. Good idea to ship things home. I know they'll be giving us free time, but when and where...?? But, yeah, I should pack an extra extra large suitcase with nothing but my stash. Ha I've been doing some googling. Seems the crochet terminology is way more different than the knitting terminology. Don't think I'm going to bring my knitting needles on the plane. I've heard that it's easier leaving America with them than it is returning, although I know you can mail them back. Precious AddyTurbos are too expensive to chance it. I mean, who knows what damage might occur in a mailing envelope!
Thanks you, you guys. Appreciate it~

Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Karina
Working the Gusset

If you are going to Bristol I would put Get Knitted on your Itinerary. I would happily move to Bristol just so I could visit that shop. Look at Getknitted.com
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
sweetiekxx
Ribbing the Cuff

I have only got into knitting recently but I have come across "I knit London" a few times and it looks pretty good. Here is the website http://www.iknit.org.uk/index.html

I wouldn't take your knitting needles on the plane in your hand luggage but its fine if you're putting it in your checked in luggage.
sweetiekxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetiekxx For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap

We're staying at the Marriott City Centre in Bristol. Looks like the yarn shop is a few miles away from the hotel. I hope I get a chance to visit it. Thanks for the tip!
Also checked out the "I knit London" link. It looks like the shop is close to the London Eye~~ the huge ferris wheel. We'll have a few days of free time in London so maybe I'll get a chance to stop in. Appreciate it~ thanks! But yeah, I suppose I could put my knitting in the checked-in luggage but I don't think I'll have much of a chance to knit because the tours keep you pretty busy doing and seeing stuff. So, I guess I'll leave my project at home. Just hope I don't go through knitting withdrawal on the plane. Ha!
Thanks again, all~
Jan
Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
Here is a map of the Yarn shops in UK put together by someone on Ravelry (I forget where I got the link)
I think the crochet terms are different, but I think you can find online conversions for those too.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap

Well how cool is that! I can't believe how many there are!! Incredible.
Thank you~
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi

The thing that flumoxes me the most is the weight differences between US and UK. There's another thread on this forum, in fact, asking the difference between DK (Double Knit) and Worsted.

There's a really high proportion of knitting over here done with DK, so if you should happen across a DK pattern you like, I'd get the yarn at the same time.

You're in luck with the exchange rate - it was 2 US $ to 1 for quite a long time but about three months ago the took a tumble, so the Dollar is trading at approx. $1.50 to the .

Anyway, I hope you have a great time - wool gathering, or not!

All the Best
Ellie
http://www.countonknit.com
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limey For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #19
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap

That's interesting and good to know about DK patterns and yarns. Thanks for sharing.

Those are good exchange rates. We aren't leaving for awhile, so I hope they last, but probably won't! I'm just doing my homework and checking things out early to familiarize. What I might do next is to try to find a free UK pattern on line just to see what it's like. I found this link that might be decent for abbreviations and conversions:
http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowAr...aspx?NavID=935

Thanks, Ellie.
Jan
Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Have a great trip -- I love London, it's one of my favorite, if not my very favorite, cities in the world! I happen to be here even as we post. I'll be at I Knit UK for the first time tomorrow evening, I hope -- I need to pick up some nice but inexpensive washable wool for the USO Hat drive, for knitted hats to go under soldiers' helmets, and any excuse...besides, I just have to visit a yarn store with a license to serve alcohol, don't I?

It's about a ten minute walk from the Eye to Waterloo Station, if that's helpful for you!

Hope you get to Borough Market if you're a foodie! (It's right near Southwark Cathedral.) I haven't been for a while, and there's a bakery stall there that serves the most wonderful Portuguese custards... LOL -- yes, even though it's 1 am, I'm STARVED!
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (01-14-2009)