Old 01-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Andres
Ribbing the Cuff

I can't knit
Today I woke up determined to knit, but I can't do it. I've started over several times, and, I haven't knit more than 10 rows without dropping a stitch.

Has this ever happened to you?
Suggestions?

Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andres For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-17-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
biztec
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Andres View Post
Today I woke up determined to knit, but I can't do it. I've started over several times, and, I haven't knit more than 10 rows without dropping a stitch.

Has this ever happened to you?
Suggestions?

Andres, I was an accomplished crocheter, but couldn't knit until I learned the continental method. Keeping the tension even seems much easier and I only occasionally drop stitches. However learning to correct mistakes as you go along is wonderful for building your confidence as I find lack of confidence causes stress in the hands which leads to mistakes. I found the book "Knit Fix" by Lisa Kartus to be invaluable because it covers fixing all different kinds of mistakes in a way that is very easy to understand and learn.
biztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Knitters block...
Hi!

This sort of thing has happened to me in more than one area. I paint, write and knit and invariably I have those "un-inspired" moments.

For painting, I watch instructional technique tapes and soon find myself itching to pick up the brushes.

For writing, the answer is to just write. Even if uninspired, and even if most of what I write ends up edited out, just letting the universe know I'm determined will help me punch through the block.

As far as knitting, if I'm having the kind of situation you describe, I set it aside and take awhile to go do something else creative, if it's only sorting out a sock drawer! When I see the results of even so mundane a task, it often inspires me to continue the creativity with my knitting. The knitting is actually like a carrot on a stick!!!

Creativity can ebb and flow in any activity, but as the creators, it's really up to us to punch through!

So good luck and happy knitting!

Ruthie
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

You're joking, right?

Well, in case you aren't--almost ALL knitters make mistakes, drop stitches, etc. You just have to work slowly, don't work when you are fatigued or frustrated. You'll get better. Also, it's important to know how to fix errors. If you aren't taking a class, there are some books out, Knit Fix is one that comes to mind.

You might practice on a small square, not a large project. That way you can see your progress after each row and keep a more careful count on stitches. Also never put your knitting down in the middle of a row (unless the house is burning down). Put it down when you have finished a row.

Are you a beginner working on a big project like an afghan? I would suggest you do some practice swatches before you tackle something like that because you will become very frustrated.

Good luck, don't give up. You'll get it.
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Andres
Ribbing the Cuff

It seems like some of you didn't understand what I meant.

I can't knit because I can't concentrate.

Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
That is Knitter's Block and it happens to each of us. I call it loosing my Mojo. Put your project aside and do something else for a while and soon you'll feel up to knitting again. OR just knit when it is quiet and you can concentrate completely on your knitting. OR pick a project you really want to see finished and try that, preferably something small that shows progress quickly.

Good luck!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
I've had that happen to me.. it's almost like one day I'm knitting and knitting and the next, I am constantly tinking or frogging.. Take heart, we all have those days!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Sure, it happens to all of us for one reason or another. Give it time.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
Craw
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
OR just knit when it is quiet and you can concentrate completely on your knitting.
That's what I'm doing. I'm also new to knitting and even having the TV on seems to make me lose count or lose my place in what I'm doing. It's not second nature to me yet like crochet. I'm sticking with easier patterns, something I can memorize, so there's not so much to remember (or forget!).
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Happens to everyone at some point or other.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote