Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
underthebelljar
Casting On

Translation: Pattern for sock heel
I'm knitting my first sock, my first time knitting in the round...

Can someone help me decipher the pattern for the heel? I understand that I have to knit half minus 2 of the total number of stitches (28, in my case), or 14 on the 1st needle and 14 on the 4th needle. But then the pattern says I should also work the edge stitches to facilitate picking up heel stitches. It's the edge stitches I'm uncertain about. The pattern says:

Edge st: Sl the last st of row with yarn in front, work the first st of the row as k through the back loop.

What does Sl mean? Slip?

Thanks...
underthebelljar is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Yes, it means SLIP. You bring the yarn forward (as if to purl) and put your needle in the stitch on the left needle and slip it off to the right needle w/o working it. Move the yarn back (as if to knit) then do as the pattern says and work the next stitch through the back loop.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
underthebelljar (01-19-2009)