View Poll Results: How do you cope with interruptions to your knitting?
Set lasers to kill, Scotty... 7 35.00%
In 100 years, will it matter you've frogged fifteen times? 9 45.00%
I knit only in rooms with locks on doors. 2 10.00%
Sunglasses, an enveloping hat, and Starbucks. 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #11
newknitter23
Ribbing the Cuff

I have two girls One is 2 yrs old and the other is 3 1/2 mnths old, so distractions are a given in my house. I also have a husband who loves to tell me all about things I don't get or care to, is that mean? Oh well, I have gotten better at repeating to myself( in my head) where I am at before I put it down and that helps me remember later. When I have printed out a pattern I use a erasable highlighter, works great.

I'm Knittin_Beauty on
newknitter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newknitter23 For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (01-20-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by newknitter23 View Post
I also have a husband who loves to tell me all about things I don't get or care to, is that mean?
I don't think it's mean at all - it's a coping mechanism. I tried to compare it to listening to a TV in the background or a police scanner. 99% of it isn't important, but you're there and paying *enough* attention to catch the important things.

I tried to explain that when I outright told him I ignore him - and it worked!
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Never really happened to me, that people talked to me. Once when I worked on granny squares, but that doesn't matter too much.

Else, when I put down work inmidst of pattern, I finish the row then put the number of the row somewhere on a post it.

Since sometimes I forget if I actually finished that row or not, I put a bar below the number if that's the next row, a bar across the number if that's the row I'm on and a bar above the number if I finished that row.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I have multiple projects going at the same time.

If it is something that I want to concentrate on, and not risk being interrupted, I knit at night after the kids are in bed and while DH is watching TV in the living room.

If I think I might get distracted -- like in a waiting room or something -- I have a blanket that I won't lose my place on.

However, knitting is not my primary hobby and one reason I do it is to have something to do with my hands when I'm otherwise stuck sitting in one place for a while. I haven't tried anything that has a complicated pattern.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #15
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

An erasable highlighter! what a GREAT idea!!!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Cyrus, Cyrus, Cyrus.

My dog.

Every time I settle down and pick up my knitting...he can be sound asleep...he can be in the other room...he can be playing with James..but the very second I pick up my knitting he barks to go out.

Even if he just came in.

Last night he jumped up on the sofa and settled on my lap. My arms, with my knitting, were pinned under 100 lbs of fluffy Rottweiler.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

I can relate ! I finally bought myself a digital recorder and as soon as I am interrupted I stop and before I respond ,pick up my recorder and record where I am in the pattern.

It has been a life saver to keep me from

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nanaof6 For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
underthebelljar
Casting On

My great aunt was a phenomenal knitter and needleworker until just a few years ago, and the television was always her greatest distraction. Once she was watching the hockey game on a Saturday night and knitting a sock. As the minutes passed and she worked away, her eyes on the game, her two teenaged sons began to poke each other knowingly and stiffle their laughter. By the time my aunt asked them what was so funny, the foot of the sock was about twice the pattern length!

I myself don't find television all that distracting yet -- my husband and I happily can both sit on the couch -- him watching sports, me buried in knitting, counting aloud and muttering to myself.

As for avoiding other distractions, I save new and complicated stuff for times when I'm home alone and can ignore the phone (which, granted, doesn't happen that often!). I bring easier projects "on the road" so I don't have to pay as much attention.
underthebelljar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

LOL -- great story about your aunt's sock!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
JB4Knitting
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm now trying to knit at work during my lunch hour, so I'll see how that goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

At home, my husband usually leaves me alone because he knows that it's a good hobby for me (and keeps me outta trouble!), but I still don't get enough of the needle stuff done at home, which is why I'm also trying it at work.

But, if I didn't vote for "Set to Kill, Scotty" I would've voted for the Starbucks one.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

JB4Knitting is offline   Reply With Quote