Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I agree with the other's answers. Especially Marria's answer.

Here's another thought about the afghan:
use the yarn 'doubled". Find a pattern that you can knit on one needle (no piecework) but use two strands and use a larger needle of course. That will suck up double the amount of yarn, and the blanket will be warmer and cushier.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by LiezelMiller View Post
We get very little local wool that is not acrylic here in South Africa. There are some that are made of super acrylic that is slightly better, but if its giving off color thats maybe the reason it was sold on ebay. I thinks it fab of your DH to spoil you though and I think it would be fine to use for the grandchildren. You could always try a slightly bigger needle size if its very tight because that will make it much looser and soft. The idea with the swatch is a great idea. I like also making toys from acrylic because its so durable and it does not have to be washed that often. What about making teddy bears with it?
I have bought very good yarn off of eBay before and I have not had any problems. This is the first time I bought a no brand, no name yarn. eBay has a lot of good deals on top quality ,name brand yarns . DH just hasn't learned what to look for yet.But I'm working on that.

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #13
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
when you go to make something, give it a wash using white vinegar and see if that helps to set the color...

i use arcryllics for baby blankets (you could see about joining one of the oddball charity groups) and they're extremely durable and do last.
The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
Nanaof6 (01-22-2009)
Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
Craw
Knitting the Flap

Acrylics = afghans for me. I can't afford to make an entire afghan in a quality yarn. Too pricey for me. You got lots of good ideas here, especially using a double strand. Kids hats, sweaters, mittens, etc. are all good for acrylic. Kids clothing needs to be machine washable IMO. Pet items and toys too!

I would have said to turn around and resell some of it on ebay because that's a lot of yarn but that would probably hurt DH's feelings and we don't want to do that. You're lucky to have a hubby that will buy you any yarn. Mine just complains about yarn!
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
quistess
Casting On

Yarn is expensive
I use 100% acrylic as well. But Bernat. Lately my favourite Bernat yarn is the Automn Harvest collection which is softer than their old stuff. They also have new softer regular acrylics now. I just started knitting last year in August so I wouldn't knit with expensive yarn until I got used to knitting a pattern without making too many mistakes. It costs about $6 for approximately 200g super saver ball. Is Red Heart cheaper? I just haven't found a Red Heart colour I like yet. They tend to sell Red Heart in Toronto Zellers stores in solid colours only.
quistess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
If I am going to use acrylic, I have a preference for Caron Simply Soft....

But that aside, I will only use acrylic for baby stuff...for washability and because Acrylic is cheaper for a garment that will be grown out of so quiclkly....

It was theknitter that told me to try washing acrylic in with hair conditioner instead of fabric softner....

I tried it once with a project I did in Red Heart super saver....did the job, imho.....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
ClearWaterStitches (10-13-2013)
Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
kidlets2
Casting On

I too knit almost exclusively with acrylics because of the durability and the cost.

I really like Lion Brand, Caron Simply Soft, and Bernat.
kidlets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
dturner
Turning the Heel

I like the afghan idea. Are all the skeins the same color, or would the colors blend in an afghan?

I ordered several skeins of cotton yarn one time from Elann. The color was completely different from the color that showed up on my browser. Anyway, I decided to donate it to a friend of mine who teaches knitting to the ladies at one of our local halfway houses. She was delighted to get the yarn, and I was happy for the yarn to be put to good use. I think that the return postage on the yarn would have been almost as much as the yarn was worth!
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
sylvia
Knitting the Flap

i do make all of the above for charities
and quick gifts
i think acrylic behaves better than wool yarn
noro for instance which i love
but i do something else with acrylic
i try out new patterns and if they turn out nice
i donate it
i am not a yarn snob i do love noro
but if ifind pretty colour in acrylic i buy it
sylvia
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
Minerva
Casting On

Softening Acrylic Yarn
I'm sure we have all 'killed' a commercially produced acrylic knit at sometime in our lives! We washed it on a too hot wash, or the washer went haywire and spun permanent creases into it?

I've just bought several balls of budget acrylic to knit clothes for my first Grandbaby and am finding it scratchy, coarse and dense. So, I did a bit of Internet trawling and have discovered that heat and moisture knock the life out of man-made fibres - particularly acrylic! Washing garments in with the family wash gives the fibre a good bashing, and using a moderate heat in the dryer, works wonders too.

BUT, even better... if you wash and dry the yarn before creating a garment, you don't have the misery of wondering if you can bear to finish the project! Just the bliss of working with baby-soft yarn.
Minerva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minerva For This Useful Post:
ClearWaterStitches (10-13-2013), jinxnit55 (07-23-2013)