Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
SYLVI-KAL: The Ultimate Coat!
Hi everyone!

GinnyG found a positively adorable coat back in December.
Several of us have been discussing this coat since then!
We decided to begin knitting it together on February 1st!

The coat is called SYLVI!

This coat was knit by knitwitmom, Moderator in the
Sylvi Group over at Ravelry. We have her permission
to post this most beautiful version! Thanks, Linda!

Knit primarily in seed stitch, with beautiful cable work on the BACK.
BTW: the flower petals are knit separately and stitched onto the BACK. The vines and leaves are 'knit into' the BACK. It requires a bulky yarn, so it will be a relatively quick knit.

Would you care to join us?

The thread in which we were discussing the preliminaries for SYLVI is located HERE. GinnyG started the thread and called it A PROJECT FOR ARTLADY! We'll lock that thread on Feb 1st. All future SYLVI discussions will take place here in the SYLVI knitalong.

You will still be able to read our comments in that discussion thread after it's locked. Our comments might be of use to you!

BTW, Ravelry has a SYLVI group that has a lot of interesting discussions, especially regarding modifications. Some SYLVI knitters have hucked the hood and made a collar instead; some have modified the cuffs; some have shortened Sylvi into cropped jacket with a zipper; some have incorporated side slit pockets! You can see those projects and read all about them over at the Ravelry Sylvi Group. There is one discussion in the Group regarding yarn substitutions that is particularly helpful. Some have successfully used Cascade 109 and Lamb's Pride Bulky and saved on yarn costs. Both are excellent yarns. I had some Winter White Rowan POLAR in my Stash, so I will be using it.

The designer also participates in the Ravelry Sylvi Group so that is a real blessing, too. She has been very helpful to the group.

An important NOTE: before beginning our coat, it is imperative that we knit a gauge swatch with our selected yarn.

As for me, rather than knitting the BACK first as I usually do, I'm going to knit the SLEEVES first, then the FRONTS, and lastly, the BACK and hood. I am knitting in this order to get a feel for the yarn and the gauge. The row gauge might be particularly useful information when knitting the BACK.

So we hope you will join us for the SYLVI KNITALONG on February 1st!

You may begin commenting in this thread now if you like. We will answer your questions. You don't have to wait til February 1st.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-16-2009 at 02:10 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
slugmom (01-21-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
slugmom
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm in!
This is my first BIG project.
I have my yarn (Cascade 109 in delphinium)
I need to knit my gauge swatch
And it may take me to next Feb to finish LOL

-Kim
Old 01-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
KnitTogether
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by slugmom View Post
I'm in!
This is my first BIG project.
I have my yarn (Cascade 109 in delphinium)
I need to knit my gauge swatch
And it may take me to next Feb to finish LOL

-Kim
How many skeins of cascade did it call for?
KnitTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

SYLVI requires anywhere from 1,632-1,904 yards, depending on the size, using Briggs & Little Atlantic as the original yarn. Yardage is yardage, but maybe there could be a variance if we're using a substitute bulky weight yarn.

Sizes are 34; 38; 41.5; 44.5; 47
Skeins: 12; 12; 13; 13; 14
Yards per skein on Briggs&Little Atlantic: 136 yds each

I read that this coats grows a bit, and it kinda stretchy...so if you are a bust of 42 or 43...the 41.5 will prolly work rather than the 44.5". Unless you like a real roomy coat.

Just something I read. That is not in the official pattern.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I'm in!

Lambs Pride Bulky in LIPSTICK RED!

I won't be able to start til February but hope to start guage swatching soon!
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
evona
Working the Gusset

Of course I'm in too! Can't wait!

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #7
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
SYLVI requires anywhere from 1,632-1,904 yards, depending on the size, using Briggs & Little Atlantic as the original yarn. Yardage is yardage, but maybe there could be a variance if we're using a substitute bulky weight yarn.

Sizes are 34; 38; 41.5; 44.5; 47
Skeins: 12; 12; 13; 13; 14
Yards per skein on Briggs&Little Atlantic: 136 yds each

I read that this coats grows a bit, and it kinda stretchy...so if you are a bust of 42 or 43...the 41.5 will prolly work rather than the 44.5". Unless you like a real roomy coat.

Just something I read. That is not in the official pattern.
I'm still trying to decide if I want to do this one. Actually, I do want to do it since I'm a cable freak and this is beautiful but I have a 48" bust measurement and I haven't been too sure about upsizing. I keep hearing that it's very stretchy so I don't know that I would need to upsize. I don't want to go to all the trouble of upsizing the pattern if it is unneccessary but I don't want to knit it up only to find that it doesn't fit well.
Ugh!

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by gargoylelib View Post
...but I have a 48" bust measurement and I haven't been too sure about upsizing. I keep hearing that it's very stretchy so I don't know that I would need to upsize. I don't want to go to all the trouble of upsizing the pattern if it is unneccessary but I don't want to knit it up only to find that it doesn't fit well.
Ugh! Libbie
Hi Libbie!

I looked at the schematics for this pattern. The size 47.5" size gives this information: at the widest part for the chest just before the raglan decreases begin is 14" for each FRONT, and 23.5" for the BACK...a total of 51.5" around...which allows some for seaming.

However, why couldn't you plan to cast on additional stitches for the FRONTS ONLY...treating them as residents of the front edges where the buttons and buttonholes go.

Do all your side decreasing as per usual...but you will know (and you could place a stitch marker at each point) that you have an additional, let's say 6 st living along the FRONT'S edges. The gauge is 12 st = 4"...so 6 extra stitches for each FRONT will increase your bust area by 4". That oughta do.

Well, give it some thought. The FRONTS are pretty plain...and it seems like you should be able to add some extra room for God's Gifts!

I know that these 6 extra stitches will make the FRONTS wider from the bottom up. Another idea is: cast on the recommended number of stitches, but don't decrease as much or as dramatically, leaving out 6 decreases for each FRONT. This is another way to get back those 6 extra stitches without casting on more stitches from the get-go.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #9
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I spent some time last night looking at the Sylvi projects on Ravelry. There are some beeeeeautiful coats that are completed. I decided to stick to the pattern, hood and all. The only modification I think I will make is I am not going to put buttons and button holes but am going to use clasps. There was a hunter green with pewter clasps that just looked lovely.

For anyone "upsizing" the clasps rather than button holes will give you a bit more ease because there is no overlap.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyG For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-22-2009)
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
Karina
Working the Gusset

I am still waiting for my yarn, I think it will be next week before I get it now.

Artlady - are you sticking with the pattern, or are you working on doing a pattern on the front. I was wondering if you had pattern on one half of the front and not the orther will it muck up your stitch/row gauge.