Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
kidlets2
Casting On

I too just bought a set of Denise's. I had been following the posts online and was pretty much convinced to wait and save up a bit more for anything other than the Denise needles. Then I went to my LYS on Saturday looking for a size 7 needle with a 16" cable and she didn't have any. She could have ordered some for me, but I really didn't want to wait so I broke down and bought the Denise needles.

And I LOVE them! The needles don't feel like cheap plastic at all, the
cables are really smooth and so far using worsted weight yarn, haven't had a problem with the yarn getting stuck in the joins. Knitting the first row was a bit difficult and I really did think I was going to break them, but it all worked out in the end!
kidlets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidlets2 For This Useful Post:
Gertie (01-27-2009), khyu777 (01-26-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #22
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
I have both Denise and Options. Since I got my Options I haven't knit with Denise at all. I prefer the thin cable and nickel needles. I like being able to order more cables and needles only if I need them and you can't do that with Denise as far as I know.

As you've seen though some people prefer Denise. If you are on the fence I'd get one set of Options cables and needles and see how you like them. If you don't care for them then you have your answer. You have to LIKE what you knit with or you won't want to do it. I really really wouldn't base it all on cost either since you are planning on using whatever you choose for a long time. The overall cost of buying a set will pay off over time whichever you choose.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
khyu777 (01-26-2009)
Old 01-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #23
married0621
Casting On

Denise Interchangeable vs Boye Interchangeable
Hey everyone! Sorry to jump in, but I just joined this forum and have been reading and reading on the different interchangeable sets. Currently, I use the Boye fixed circulars and was wondering if the Needlemaster set's cables feel the same as these. Also, are the Denise cables as stiff as the Boye? I keep finding projects that I want to try but I'm tired of buying needles everytime I try something new!

Thanks!

OTN: Clapotis Scarf and Frost Diamonds Shawl

OTH: Ripple Afghan for DH
married0621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #24
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

[quote=married0621;1199782]Hey everyone! Sorry to jump in,/QUOTE]

Sorry? Why? C'mon in. Hearing different people's thoughts are what this forum's all about. Welcome. This is a great group of people.

Sorry that I don't have the answer to your question, but someone will.
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #25
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I own the Denise set and the KP's Harmony set. I use both sets but I do prefer the Denise.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #26
KnittedRose
Ribbing the Cuff

DH and I are new users of Denise needles and so far have had no problems with yarn getting hung up on the connectors or anywhere on the needles. I agree however, that some yarns are more prone to this than others, some really fine ones can catch a bit even on a regular circular needle. We love our denise needles, and feel purchasing them was money well spent.
KR
KnittedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittedRose For This Useful Post:
khyu777 (01-27-2009)
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #27
married0621
Casting On

Ok, now I'm comparing the Options and the Denise sets. I have a pair of Auddi circular needles that I'm using and really like the feel of them, so would the Option needles have the same feel? It will be a while before I'm able to purchase a set so I'll be doing a lot of research. I've considered purchasing one of the larger size needles and the longer cable from Knitpicks so if I like them and get the set I won't have any duplicates. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #28
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I went from Boyes fixed circulars to Harmony interchangeables and you will never get me to go back. I will bit by bit add the Option tips as I can afford. Who knew you didn't have to fight with your cables.
khyu777 (01-27-2009)
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #29
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I personally think the Addi needles have just a touch more grip than the Options. The Options are the slickest (and therefore fastest) needles I've tried yet. (Downside: I get less control over the more troublesome yarns.) The Options have a sharper tip, although I don't generally miss it when working with Addi's.

I love Addi needles and would have gotten Clicks but for the cost -- just couldn't parse it into reality!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
khyu777 (01-27-2009)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #30
married0621
Casting On

Zina, I know what you mean about the cost of the Addi needles (oops, I misspelled that pretty badly earlier!). I bought the one pair of 47" US 9 circulars because I had a little extra money from working more hours over Christmas break, but I definately could not buy them exclusively. Hobbies are just so expensive but so much fun!