Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #8611
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Originally Posted by 1to1 View Post
Julie, I'm not looking to cause trouble for anyone but it just bothered me.
I didn't expect you to.

Dustina if it's meant to be then it will happen. & Isaiah will meet lots of new friends & have a different school so not the same bullys.

Lieke hope you feel better soon, yea for knitting!

I've finished my chapter 4 homework-wasn't going to but then thought if I dont do it today I wont finish it. Now just reading to do & look over the lab manual.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
1to1 (02-11-2009), dustinac (02-12-2009), Lieke (02-12-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #8612
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Hey Everybody Long time since I've popped in here (life gets in the way, yes?!). Hope everyone is a-okay!

Julie emailed me about the copyright question that Carla has. I found this article that may interest you guys.

Okay, this is what I've been told by Meg Swansen of Schoolhouse Press (they publish several knitting books/stitch pattern books and she is the daughter of the one and only EZ!). I emailed her after receiving a couple of Barbara Walkers' stitch pattern books. I chose to talk to them because they publish these books. I asked her if I could use stitch patterns from these books in a pair of socks. Meg kindly emailed me to let me know that it was perfectly okay since I asked permission and that it was more important to give the credit about the stitch pattern. In other words, in the pattern/s written with stitch patterns found in these books (or anywhere for that matter) that one should state that the stitch pattern was found in this book and permission obtained to use the stitch pattern. She told me after asking a couple of times that I didn't have to email her any more, LOL!

I was also told by the publisher of Priscilla Gibson Roberts' book, Simple Socks when I emailed her to ask if I had permission to use PGR's short row heel technique in a pattern that knitting techniques aren't copy written.

I asked Annie Modesitt if it were okay with her if I used a slip stitch edging that I had seen in one of her patterns in one of my designs...Annie told me that it was a-okay that she hadn't invented the sts, LOL, she's a hoot!! In the patterns where I used this design I stated that it was found via Annie Modesitt!!

All this to say, ask and give credit where credit is due! And, if something says that it is copy written, then don't duplicate it. If you choose to alter a pattern, ask the designer and more than likely he/she will say it's okay, I've done this many times and very happily.

But, with knitting that has been around for many years I'm sure that we all copy one another! Knitting sts are knitting sts! It's one thing to accidentally create the same thing (things can be created in different ways and they still look the same...this is okay, we are inspired by others!), it's another to blatantly steal from another. In my experience in the knitting community, this is very rarely done!! Knitters are wonderful, kind people and I don't think intentionally steal from one another.

I bet that this person designed a cloth and had no idea that it had been done before!

Again, when in doubt, ask people, whether they be publishers, designers, whomever and then, most importantly, as Meg said, "Give credit where credit is due."

I don't know if this answered your question in any way, I tried Please don't hesitate to let me know

So, do ya'll miss me or what

LOL, there are only 100s of knitters on here who have no idea who I am, LOL!!! Hard to believe, LOL!!!!

xoxo
becka

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Last edited by rebecca : 02-11-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: cause i can't spell....duh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebecca For This Useful Post:
1to1 (02-11-2009), jberry16 (02-11-2009)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #8613
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post
DH's favorite show is on tonight--"Big Bang Theory". It's pretty funny!
My parents watch Big Bang Theory, and I like it when I watch it at home, but I don't have time often at school. It is really great... partly because I have a little too much inner nerd.
Originally Posted by jberry16 View Post
Jess that sounds like NM too. Today it was snowing to beat all and then 5 min. later it was sunny and the snow was melting. However today was super cold, don't think we hit 40 (but I could be wrong). Tomorrow this front is supposed to be gone and we'll hit 50s! I was beginning to be spoiled by the darn 60 degree weather we'd had the past few weeks. So nice just having to deal with those sweatshirt jackets.
Iowa weather, spring and fall: Wake up with heater going full blast. Dress in long pants, shirt, sweater, coat, possibly long underwear. At some point, take off the coat. Take off the sweater. Turn off heater. Open windows. Change to shorts. Go do something outside. Explain to children that 50 degrees really is too cold to go swimming. Go back inside. Change back into pants. close windows. put on sweater. Turn on heater. burrow into blankets and let the dog sleep on top for extra warmth.
Sweatshirts at 60 degrees? Aw, southerners... lol. Only in fall when we aren't acclimated to negatives... or when my stupid roommates set the thermostat to 80 so I never acclimate to negatives.
Katie is busy getting into the trash can & her darn teeth wont just pop through-been wating for 2 weeks-tried everything.
ummm... you're letting your kid chew through the trash can? Wow, my mom would have been worried about the health of my teeth after gnawing on the plastic for two weeks, even disregarding the obvious sanitary issues...
I've finished 1/2 of my biology chap 4 homework. I've colored & labled 3 cells & all their parts; animal, plant & prokaryotic. Now I have to provide a brief description of all the functions of each cell and how they differ from another & a list of unique organelles for each cell type. o boy!
THen I have to read chapter 4, blah. (still haven't read chap 5 from last week ) O and then I have to pull my lab book out and pre-read & do the pre-lab stuff for this comming week in lab. We'll have a substitute so I really wanna know what's going on.
Trade you: In cell bio we are spending an entire unit only on the structures of the cell membrane, and doing a lab isolating and identifying a plasmid gene for antibiotic resistance in e. coli (aka studying DNA AGAIN... as if the unit in Bio I, a semester of genetics, a year of O chem, a semester of biochem, and the current semester of Evo didn't cover it thoroughly enough). In Evolution, we're studying the molecular basis for mutation... aka studying DNA... again... we're also on chapter 4, so you should be good right?
Hope everyone is having a great day!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (02-11-2009)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #8614
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,955 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Christine, I FINALLY got the stitches picked up for the ribbing around the front. It takes me FOREVER to get it even on both sides!

Carey, I have PLENTY of yarn! I ran out when I made mine, but Christine bought LOTS! YAY that you're dona already! I have to finish the ribbing, which takes awhile! There's a LOT of it!

Jess, When we lived in Iowa, we had snow in MAY. You'll get to ski before winter's over!

Yeager, BAD DOG!!!

Dustina, Ouch. YAY on the house!

Carla, good to hear from you again! I dont' know about the pattern copyright. How can they prove who designed it first? How can YOU tell? And someone might design something that someone else just happened to have already designed? For dishcloths, I can see that that might be a possibility. Still, it doesn't seem right. What a conundrum!

Sue, how's your head? What' med are you taking? have you talked to the doc about the side effects? Feel better, friend!

Lieke, glad you're starting to feel better! Was it the flu?

I've been busy assembling furniture. The stuff I ordered from WalMart came in almost a week before it was scheduled to! So last night, despite DH being gone, I assembled it. I think I like it! I was really surprised that WM carried stuff this nice! I also stopped by the paint store to get a sample. We're going to paint the family room.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
1to1 (02-11-2009), dustinac (02-12-2009), jess_hawk (02-12-2009), The.Knitter (02-12-2009)
Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #8615
G J
Instepping Out

Christine, do you want to do the sewing up yourself or does that bother your neck and shoulders? I'll do it if you need me to!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (02-12-2009)
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #8616
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Gina~YAY on it coming in earlier!! Do you care if I ask what you got from them? I'm in the need for a new dinning table...but I wonder if theirs would be good and strong...I'm also in need of a twin bed

Becka~You should stop by KH more often, you are missed!

Lieke~ I hope you feel better soon

Carla~I keep telling JD you gotta see yourself in this house till the kids graduate 'cause I'm not moving again...whenever we do get the perfect house it will be our 4th move which isn't alot for some but when you like a schedule and stuff a certain way it makes moving a PAIN...JD says he knows to stay clear of me on moving day

Carey~That's what I'm thinking it is...if we could get settled before he starts school and he could meet some kids that might help..

Julie & Jess~ don't forget study/knitting breaks

Thanks everyone for your well wishes on the house and Isaiah...he seems a little better this evening. While they were at church we went in and put in an offer...we prolly won't discuss it much with them now until we know if we got it or not...if it's the house for us...it will all just fall into place

Ok so the valentine box is done and now I gotta go work on the mp3 players

Ohh and I have cute little 6mos puppy...I walked outside around 4 and there he was...with a john deer tractor collar on...so I called the shelter and she said that sounds familiar...about 10mins later the owner called and said he had been missing for some time and she had given up...she was on her way to another part of OH for her father's surgery tomorrow and asked if I could keep him till Friday for her... he isn't house broken so he isn't having much fun here but at least he is warm and not out still lost...I'll try to get a picture of him tomorrow... Jd was thrilled!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
1to1 (02-11-2009), jberry16 (02-11-2009), Lieke (02-12-2009)
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #8617
G J
Instepping Out

Dustina, I ordered this entertainment center/chest thing and this coffee table. I really like the EC, but I'm not sure about the CT. The dark finish is pretty, too, but too dark for my room. Hope the puppy doesn't ruin the floors! I'm excited about the offer on the house! YAY!!! You're probably really wise not to say too much until it goes through. No reason to get Isaiah worried!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
dustinac (02-12-2009)
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #8618
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Gina those are pretty
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
G J (02-12-2009)
Old 02-12-2009, 05:12 AM   #8619
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by G J View Post

Lieke, glad you're starting to feel better! Was it the flu?
I guess. I had some people over for dinner, the evening before I got sick and as far as I know, I was the only one, so it wasn't my food. I didn't run a fever however, but I usually don't get a fever anyway. I just feel like crap and haven't eaten any decent meal since last Sunday. Fortunately, I do feel better today, so hopefully, I will be able to eat tonight, altough I don't have an appetite yet. I did manage to finish my paper, I have to correct it one more time, but have to wait for my tutor to mail me about a date. I don't know how long she needs to correct it. Well, I decided to make Laminaria a bit larger. I'm knitting the sholderette, but I've got plenty of yarn left (there's a chart on Ravelry about how much yarn you'll need for the edging), so I'll do some more blossom-repeats, because I want it as large as possible. I'm trying to finish it quickly. My mom has to go to the hospital soon (she's in the hospital right now to hear when) for surgery on her shoulder (she's had her left shoulder done, now needs her right). I want to give her this shawl to keep warm, because it's hard for her to put a shirt/coat on when she's just had surgery and she can put on the shawl when she's cold, but I'm not sure if I'll manage to finish in time. But I'll try, I've got time now. So, off to my knitting. Got some podcasts on my mp3-player, the sun is shining trough the windows, so I think I'll be able to do some repeats. Happy knitting

Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #8620
Lieke
Working the Gusset

I just heard from my job-interview and I didn't get the job :(

However, I've send out another application to an obesitas clinic and that sounds great. I've always been interested in eating disorders, so I hope they'll at least invite me for an interview.

I've also heard from my mom and I've got until early may to finish the shawl, so I think I'll be able to make it.

Closed Thread