Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
March KAL-Fair Isle or Stranded Work
This month we thought it would be fun to work on some fair isle or stranded projects. I know many out there have mentioned how they would like to try it but not sure how.

This KAL is open to beginners and advanced in this technique. I would pick something you are comfy with, like if you have knit plenty of hats then try a fair isle/stranded hat...or if you are very comfy with socks then give them a try.

The most important thing with working fair isle/stranded is your tension if you have it to tight then the item will draw in and be snug. It's best to keep your tension loose even if it doesn't look right when you are knitting it you will see an inch or so later that it does work out

There are many different way to carry your yarns and differen't holders out there. I have found the easiest way is to carry the yarns in both hands. I carry my MC in my left and the CC in my right. Find which way you are comfy with, there is no wrong way.

Here is a link to a video showing two hands

I also went on ravelry and searched for fair isle/stranded and then used their gauge to chose difficulty and fit that between 0-5.5, here are some of the patterns that it pulled to give you all some ideas, if you have another pattern you like please use it or search ravelry
Companion Mitts
Beginner's Fair Isle hat
Alpaca Fair Isle Mitts
Simple Stripes Socks
Fair Isle Hat
Baby Booties
Snowflake Hat
Headband
Argyle Hat (on the side bar of blog pdf file)
Teddy Bear Sweater
Simpler Snowflake Hat
Sea Mineral Mittens ravelry download
Fair Isle Bag (pdf file)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I hope that many of you will give this a try, I think you will be pleased to find that it's not very hard at all

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-16-2009), Jan in CA (03-01-2009)