Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

Reading that I have "...loads of friends here that are happy to listen and cheer you on" brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure that many of us have spent our entire lives dealing with our most difficult problems alone; we don't know how to ask others about their experiences and strategies. I have found it so easy to type "I need knitting help with...", but the hardest words I've ever had to type have been in this thread.
Two concepts that everyone here has emphasized are breaking challenges down into smaller tasks and taking pride in progress toward goals. Today I take pride in having accomplished my first tasks: asking for your advice and realizing what a valuable treasure it is. Thank you, friends.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Having friends is one of the great joys of life. So glad we could be of help.
Denise in Michigan (03-06-2009)
Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
cdjack
Turning the Heel

Yes, we are here to be your cheerleaders or just to listen if you need to vent.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

I can sympathise so

I have low-level depression to (have had for as long as i can remember) which occasionally gets very bad. Motivation can be a big big issue.

When i see that i am getting into a rut, or possibly sinking into a low patch, i desperatly try and do somthing about it.
First, and one of the big things that helps is good food and pleanty of water. As much fresh fruit and veg as i can get and lighter meals things that feel and are full of goodness and energy. I avoid anythng that can be classed as comfort food.

For motivation i set myself goals. things like 'This week i will do 10 minutes of yoga every day' just small things and aparantly nothing to do with what i actually need to get done, but doing somthing and somthing small and easy just gives me a kickstart.
I also do two things which seem to contradict each other.
Firstly i set an alarm to make sure i am getting up and moving at a good time everyday and not stying in bed being lazy. I need to get into a routine of doing things.
Secondly i try and break up whatever routines i have so that i am not stuck in a rut. If i find that recently have been watching the same TV program everyday i will make sure that i do not have the TV on at that time. Even if i am not being productive, just doing somthing else reminds me that i dont have to be doing that at this time of day and the world will not end if instead i spend the time doing somthing (else which can be productive.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #15
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
i get low level depression and stress in a big way. i can so relate to where you are coming from.

what i do is make a goal list, so say by the end of the month i want to have changed 2 small things or 1 bigger thing.
you need to get yourself a reward structure though, i wont allow myself to buy any more yarn until i have achieved a goal. as i am an adict (like most of us i guess hey lol) its a huge thing for me.

i like to do excersise as that does make me feel better and clears my head when i start getting stressed about life.

you have loads of great friends here that will help you with anything and everything we can.
i do like the goal list because i have the aim to hit 1 of the 2 properly but try and get both done. i expect to fail on 1 though so i dont beat myself up if i fail at it.

its a horrible feeling when you get there
susi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to susi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #16
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
Today I take pride in having accomplished my first tasks: asking for your advice and realizing what a valuable treasure it is.
There you go, a BIG first step!

I love being a part of this group, knitters are some of the friendliest people on the planet.

One of our good friends is a professional organizer, goes into folks homes and helps them out. It's mostly life counseling, which doesn't surprise me at all. Little by little, they chip away at the physical mess, as well as the emotions that led to it.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hi Denise. Whew, yeah. It's so hard to change. I've been really really trying to lately. I think the biggest thing well, this was put well by Sophie:

to try and break routines

I've found the thing that will have an effect big time is to do something completely new and different. Completely different! Even if you have to drive an hour or two to find it... I just joined a writer's workshop, writing memoirs. I didn't even want to go and sort of forced myself ten minutes before, I was just in a really bad mood.
I felt so good after those 3 hours with these other women. I'm going back, once a month. Someone famous ha said the best cure for depression is to go out and help someone else. (wish I could remember who that was) I've been meaning to do that for so long, some volunteer work. Esp with children or elders. Maybe you could look into that too. And something FUN. A dance class?
Something silly but fun. I think that would really help. Sometimes you have to just push yourself out the door and do the damn thing. ha good luck

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VictoiseC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

I just want to say "thank you" again to the folks who responded to this thread. I review your words often...you have each helped me many times in the past seven months!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #19
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Make a game plan and then follow it one step at a time, starting with what you know you can accomplish (eating healthier... trust me, that's huge right now after spending 4 days worrying my dh had a silent heart attack like they said at the ER and getting into our cardiologist.. read your sodium content!)

Sign up for a cooking class, you'll make some new friends and learn how to cook healthy.

When you get the urge for junk food, put that money in a jar that you've glued the lid shut, but put a hole in the lid just big enough to put money in. At the end of the month, look at the money you've got for YARN or something else you want.

Family relationships are what they are. You can only do so much so do what you feel you reasonably can and put the ball in their court.

Jobs... well, what do you want from life? what makes you happy? only you can answer those. Once you have that answered, come up with logical steps you need to take to accomplish those goals.
The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
Denise in Michigan (03-07-2009)
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
ladytruckdriver
Casting On

I went through some rough times a few years ago with family and financial issues, that led to depression. I found that walking helped me more than anything else. I particularly like walking in state or county parks along the marked trails. I would repeat over and over to myself, "You are smart. You are strong. You are a good person." It may sound silly, but it really helped. If you are near Sterling State park, there are some nice trails there.

There have been some great suggestions for you in the replies. I agree too. Make small changes. Don't go for everything at once.
ladytruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ladytruckdriver For This Useful Post:
Denise in Michigan (03-07-2009)