Old 03-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
mdkb901
Knitting the Flap

so on the teddy bear witch box do i start with
qustion i am all most done with the row 3 so what do i do for row 4
mdkb901 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Start with the box that's in the lower right corner of the chart.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Teddy Bear Baby Blanket

Okay, the link to the pattern makes all the difference! Now I can help you big-time.

Yes, this is sooo not the easiest of patterns. I'll assume you are at the level where you know how to do the seed stitch it's just k1, p1 ribbing only you p the knits and k the purls on the next row.

Well. Where to start.

Row 1 says work seed stitch across the whole 104 stitches knit 1, purl 1 across the whole row.
Row 2: put the empty needle in your right hand and the full needle in your left. With your yarn in back of your work, insert the right hand (rh) needle into the 1st stitch on the left hand (lh) needle as if to purl, then just slide it onto the empty rh needle without wrapping any yarn.

You just slipped the first stitch. Cool! Now work the rest of the way across the row by knitting the purl stitches and purling the knit stitches.

Row 3 is exactly the same as I laid out for Row 2 just slip the first stitch, then proceed across the rest of the row knitting the purls and purling the knits.

This is your border stitches. It will, theoretically, keep your blanket from rolling up.

Okay, this is your bottom border. Done gone. Pat yourself on the back and take a deep breath! ☺

Remember that you need to knit those side border stitches. That means that every time you start a brand-new row by turning your needles [empty in the rh and full in the lh], you need to work those first 4 stitches by slipping the first stitch, knit the purls and purl the knits across those first 4 [means slip the first, then do the seed stitch across the next 3 stitches]. Then you have 3 squares of 32 stitches each (96 stitches total) in the the middle that will be your 3! teddy bear squares. And you'll end the row by doing the seed stitch across the final 4 stitches [don't slip any of these final 4 just knit the purls and purl the knits.]

So far, great! You are ready to start the foundations for the 3 teddy bear squares. Here's how...

Work your 4 edge stitches like above. KNIT 32 stitches [on the diagram, you are starting at the bottom row on the right-hand [this corresponds with the RIGHT side] edge. So for this square the WHITE boxes in the diagram = knit.

Done? Cool. Take a deep breath. You are about to start the middle square which is exactly the opposite of the first square. Meaning.... you start over again at the bottom row, RIGHT hand side of your teddy bear diagram and this time, the WHITE boxes mean Purl. That's because you will do exactly the opposite of what you did for that first square.

Got it? This opposite stuff is crucial to the pattern. And if it is too confusing as well it may be; many an experienced knitter would get messed up here all too easily! let me know. There is an easier way to do this.

It's called, back up and punt.

But otherwise, if you still are copacetic with all this if you understand it so far, then you got a pretty darn good chance of getting through this thing alive!

The third square is identical to your first square, where the white boxes mean Knit and you do the 4 seed stitches for the border at the far edge of the thing.

Cool? Good!

Now comes where I think you're losing it. (I don't blame you.)

You turn the row. Now you are on the WRONG side. Meaning you will follow your pattern starting at the 2nd row from the bottom on the LEFT hand edge of your chart. [Hint: it is a very good idea to put a check mark at the edge of the row you just completed so you don't get confused. When you work through the pattern again, you could then circle your check mark as you complete the rows.]

Okay. So you slip your first stitch, work the next 3 sts in the seed stitch. Now STOP.

LOOK at your work. You now see the lumps that mean Purl, right? Then THAT is what you do... PURL the next 32 stitches. Why? Because the backside of every single knit stitch you ever make is... a purl stitch. And now you are on the BACK side of your blanket.

So you go to the 2nd row from the bottom, PURL the white boxes and Knit the dark boxes [well, you will when you do the wrong side and the row has dark boxes, anyway.] Done those 32 sts? Great! Now STOP.

Here again is the middle square. Look at those stitches hey! These are now KNIT! Why? Once again, because the backside of every purl stitch is... a knit stitch. Go once again to the 2nd row from the bottom and this time every white box means KNIT and the dark box will mean Purl.

And the third square is just the same as the first square was. The final 4 stitches are your seed-stitch border.

Hopefully this will get you cruising.

Here's a final tip: Put a safety pin on the RIGHT side of your blanket so you can tell at a glance what side of the pattern you are working from. Better yet, tie a nice bright color of yarn scrap to that pin.

Hope this helps,

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
mdkb901
Knitting the Flap

ok what do i do for rows 4,5,6,
Old 03-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Hi,

If you got through the first 2 rows, then the rest should be easier.

Here is what you do for the ODD-NUMBERED ROWS, which means that the RIGHT SIDE of your blanket is Facing You:

Work your 4 edge stitches like above. On the diagram, you are starting at the next-up row starting on the right-hand [this corresponds with the RIGHT side] edge. So for this first square the WHITE boxes in the diagram = knit and the DARK boxes = purl.

Done? Cool. Take a deep breath. You are about to start the middle square which is exactly the opposite of the first square. Meaning.... you start over again at the next-up row, RIGHT hand side of your teddy bear diagram and this time, the WHITE boxes mean Purl. That's because you are doing exactly the opposite of what you did for that first square.

The third square on this odd-numbered row [on the Right side up of your blanket] is identical to your first square, where the white boxes mean Knit and you do the 4 seed stitches for the border at the far edge of the thing.

You turn the row. Now you have the WRONG side of the Blanket facing you and you start the EVEN numbered row. Meaning you will follow your pattern starting at the next row up from the bottom at the LEFT hand edge of your chart. [Hint: it is a very good idea to put a check mark at the edge of the chart at the row you just completed so you don't get confused. When you work through the pattern again, you could then circle your check mark as you complete the rows.]

Okay. So you slip your first stitch, work the next 3 sts in the seed stitch. Now STOP.

LOOK at your work. You now see the lumps that mean Purl, right? Then THAT is what you do... PURL the next 32 stitches. Why? Because the backside of every single knit stitch you ever make is... a purl stitch. And now you are on the BACK side of your blanket.

So you go to the next row up from the bottom, PURL the white boxes and Knit the dark boxes [well, you will when you do the wrong side and the row has dark boxes, anyway.] Done those 32 sts? Great! Now STOP.

Here again is the middle square. Look at those stitches hey! These are now KNIT! Why? Once again, because the backside of every purl stitch is... a knit stitch. Go once again to the 2nd row from the bottom and this time every white box means KNIT and the dark box will mean Purl. So work through the next 32 stitches following the chart.

And the third square is just the same as the first square was. The final 4 stitches are your seed-stitch border.

Repeat these 2 instructions for each odd-numbered and even-numbered row until you have completed the whole Teddy Bear Chart, including the topmost 2 rows that are plain Knit or Purl.

Then switch so that the next set of Teddy Bear squares are opposite - meaning what you did for the Center Teddy Bear square will now be the two Outside Teddy Bear squares; and what you did for the two outside Teddy Bear squares... you now do for the Center Teddy Bear Square.

Hope this answers your questions...
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
mdkb901 (03-08-2009)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
mdkb901
Knitting the Flap

So what do i do for row 5 please help
Old 03-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Look at my reply in the other thread. Please only post to that one from now on.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote