Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

i knit because it is fun

i was visiting my aunt in Turks and Caicos over march break when i was in high school and there was nothing to do at night beside sit on the couch and watch golf with my uncle, watch my aunt knit, or read. i finished my book i brought the first night. second night i watched her knit. the 3rd night i had knitting needles in my hand. by the 6th night i was heading home with my dishcloth and a new passion for knitting.

i have been knitting for 8 years now.

i can't just sit and watch tv... which is what my husband loves to do. so we sit together on the couch with our 3 month old son, chat, cuddle, he watches tv, i knit... its fun

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
Kattra
Ribbing the Cuff

Where to start... it feels like I have alwats croshet we lived with my grandmother when I was in 1st grade and she corshet and thought me how... just the simple strate rows... I think that was all she could do... Her grandma knit and croshet but she never did get the nack for knitting and her mother and sibs didn't.

My mom and sibs never learned what she had to teach... But she helped me learn what she had to teach and always sed I should learn to knit. I did not understand why she thought it was so inporten.

I have Asperger Syndrome we did not know that tell I was out of high school. They thought I had ADHD... My mom was a single pairent... A Grandma went throw hell with me when I was a scared confused kid who just knew she was diftrent and that the only ones willing to be her friends at school abused her trust and friendship. She help me when I had screaming fits because I wanted my mom. She read to be when I was loanly and needed to hear another voise. She sat throw endless tea parties. And vere yeld at me when I made a mess of her kitchen trying to cook dinner for the family.

Looking back I know I must have been a trile and a brat so lost in her own anger pain and confusion that she vere rilised how hard she was making life for an old woman with a kind heart.

She died when I was 13... I wanted to learn for her I guess it was my way of saying thank you and goodbye...

I tried to learn on my own so many times over the years but I am a visula person I had to see it being done.

I thought I had given up then early list month I just... I needed to try again one last time. So I asked the first random person I talk to on the knit it they knew of a web sight to teach me.

I was luck the person I asked was a friend and he knits... I pointed me to a good web sight and the next day I bot yarn and needles... I have been knitting ever sents...

Grandma knew some thing all the docters that kept giving me pills to calm be down when I was in school didn't.

I needed knitting... I calms and senters me... It is not about what you have when your done it is about the yarn and needles and that calm senter they help you fined....

I wish she was here to day so I could thank her with out her I might never have found knitting.

Even more I wish I had been old enough to know just how much she ment to me.
Kattra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kattra For This Useful Post:
Abiah (03-13-2009), dairywife (03-21-2009), farmgirl (03-15-2009), OxxxAmandaxxxO (03-13-2009), yarncharmer (03-14-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #13
Abiah
Casting On

Send a message via Skype™ to Abiah
Originally Posted by AH1OZ View Post
i can't just sit and watch tv... which is what my husband loves to do. so we sit together on the couch with our 3 month old son, chat, cuddle, he watches tv, i knit... its fun
I'm the same way! I think it may be my age. Being 25, I'm used to having some form of active thing to do while watching TV; being on the computer, doing some form of creative project...SOMETHING! I get so bored when I just have to sit and watch TV, that I need to have something to do. Being that my health doesn't agree to doing ACTIVE things, I find knitting fits the bill perfectly. Nothing better than zoning out on knitting when ya feel nauseous!

Thanks everyone for the warm hellos and sharing your stories!

*HUGGLES*
Alexis
Abiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

Kattra said it best. It is just so calming and relaxing. I can pick up my needles and start to knit and everything is now just fine. Besides I have two little great granddaughter who need socks, mittens, etc.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
divagirl
Knitting the Flap

I knit because it's way cheaper than therapy! Knitting is very calming for me... I can let my mind relax because my body as something to do. Helps me with my impatient streak as well...watching it all unfold as i go along is like magic!

OTN: Socks, Lucy bag, Kenobi Jacket for MIL
Almost there: Arwen #1
Up next: Sylvi
divagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
yarnpiggy
Ribbing the Cuff

I originally learned to knit to prove to myself that I could. I didn't think I had a creative bone in my body. As it turned out, I am a lot more creative than I have myself credit for, and I was soon quite addicted. Not only was it something to do, but it produced results!
Then, I ended up taking over a year off. On December 19, 2007, my life as I knew it changed in a very significant way. My 19 year old sister was murdered. On December 23, her ex boyfriend (father to her 2 year old son) was arrested for her murder. My sister had recently started letting the ex have overnight visitation with their son. She went December 19 to pick him up (it was the first time she'd ever gone alone), and she never arrived back home to my mom's house. The ex had punched her so hard in the face that he knocked her out, then he fashioned a ligature out of shoelaces and strangled her so hard that she had a half inch "ligature furrow" in her neck. To hide his crime, he put her body in her car, drove it to a nearby city, and set it on fire. My two year old nephew was now left wtihout a mommy, and a few days later, without a daddy. Life was turned upside down.
I didn't have the energy for life. It took all I had to wake up every day and go to work...to just LIVE. I was also planning my wedding at the time. So, life was just hectic and I was just tired.
The murderer's trial began in October, 2008. I picked up the needles when jury selection began. I found myself full of anxiety to the point where I just felt like jumping out of my skin--I didn't know what to do with myself! Knitting helped calm my mind and helped "turn off" all of the over thinking I was doing. It was very helpful in the week ahead as I attended every single day of the trial, which was emotionally and mentally exhausting. Knitting was my therapy, and it was healing...it helped me ease my anxiety and depression, and it helped me calm my mind enough to actually sleep at night.
Now I'm back to enjoying the process and enjoying what I create. Kntting helped save me, I think. It's helping me to move on and live again, which is what my sister would've wanted.
yarnpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Abiah View Post
I'm the same way! I think it may be my age. Being 25, I'm used to having some form of active thing to do while watching TV; being on the computer, doing some form of creative project...SOMETHING! I get so bored when I just have to sit and watch TV, that I need to have something to do. Being that my health doesn't agree to doing ACTIVE things, I find knitting fits the bill perfectly. Nothing better than zoning out on knitting when ya feel nauseous!

Thanks everyone for the warm hellos and sharing your stories!

*HUGGLES*
Alexis
must be the age! i'm 24!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #18
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by divagirl View Post
I knit because it's way cheaper than therapy!

so true!
haha
Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Oh Yarnpiggy! I'm so sorry!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
yarnpiggy (03-14-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

I knit because it is something I enjoy. It helps me relax, and like divagirl said 'it's cheaper than therapy'. We have started a knitting circle at the nursing home where I work and we've even got some of the residents involved. The ones that can't knit, love to come for the conversation. It's also a good diet aide, you can't knit and snack at the same time.
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote