Old 03-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
ThelmasGirl
Casting On

Circular vs straight
If a pattern calls for circular needles but says the 'cardigan is worked back and forth on a circular needle in one piece from the neck down", could this also be done working with straight needles?

(Seems like everything I want to try calls for new needle purchases and I'm trying to be more frugal...a related question: Has anyone used that set of circular needles sold at Michael's for abour $70...where the needles are interchangeable...would that be a more economical purchase using one of their 40% off coupons instead of investing in all those different sets of circular needles separately?)
ThelmasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
If the cardigan is worked with the fronts and back all worked at the same time, putting all those stitches on a straight needle might be a squeeze, but if you can get all the stitches on your straight and you feel comfortable still, it will work.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

What she said.

Also, whether the interchangeables are more cost effective depends on what kind of knitting you do. If you use a lot of smaller needle sizes, probably not. If you use needles within your set's range, probably. If you hardly ever use more than two or three sizes, then, probably not.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I looked at Michaels.com and didn't see any interchangeable circular needle sets.

All in all, the purchase of any interchangeable circular needle set is more cost effective than the piece by piece purchase of what they call 'fixed circular needles'.

The most expensive set is the new ADDI CLICK interchangeable set of circs. They are missing some US sizes. They are measured in mm.

The most frugal set is the KNITPICKS "OPTIONS".
The full set is only $60 with a case. I have them and love them. Knitpicks also have a wooden set, which many knitters prefer, called the HARMONY interchangeables. They are $75.

I coulda save a fortune if I had known about Knitpicks interchangeables in time.

If you get to the point of a purchase, you can click through to Knitpicks here at Knitting Help. It will help support our website because Knitpicks is one of our revered advertisers! (see top of this page to click through to Knitpicks!)

I am not crowing about them because of that though. Everything they sell is EXCELLENT quality and COST EFFECTIVE! And customer service that is wonderful!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
They don't show them online, but Michael's has the Boye set in the store.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Our local Michaels carries the Denise set.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
My girlfriend has that set. She likes it very much!
It took her a while to get used to them. They tended to
unscrew while she was knitting. She got them for $15 at a swapmeet.

Good deal!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
ThelmasGirl (03-16-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
SweaterGirlKnit
Casting On

AddiClick Addict
I tend to knit everything on circular needles (they're so much smaller and more comfortable in my hands). Plus, like other posters have said, it can be awfully hard to get all that knitting to stay on one straight needle at a time.

I was given the delightful AddiClick system for Christmas and can't tell you how delicious they are! They never come unscrewed or wiggle, they're perfectly seamless and I think the nickel-plating might just make me go faster. I am in love with them, but since I do knit mostly vintage patterns I have had to purchase a couple pairs of itty bitty needles.

Cheers!
-A
www.SweaterGirlKnit.com
SweaterGirlKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I'd love to get the AddiClick myself but at that price, I just can't. You're almost always better off with a set of circulars vs. buying one here and one there, which is how I've been buying them. My favorite is Addi Turbo but I can deal with the Inox which are quite similar and less expensive. But did I say Addi Turbo is my favorite? lol They're so yummy to knit with. There's nothing like them.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
toddidi
Casting On

Just wanted to add that i always knit everything on circulars. I bought a set of about 15 different size bamboo circulars from ebay for about 20 they are great.
And i find it much better to put the knitting in the middle of the wire when i'm not knitting and I never come back to my work to find some of the stitches have fallen off!! arrgghhh and its easier when out and about and you never have to worry about losing a needle.... i do that quite often too....

i'm off to look at the addi click now.....
toddidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toddidi For This Useful Post:
ThelmasGirl (03-16-2009)