Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Windows Live Mail
If anyone uses Windows Live Mail to access your email...be cautious on the installation of the NEW VERSION updates that you'll be prompted to do. It is all wonky, and hundreds of folks are having issues of all kinds.

My email hasn't worked right since. (last night)

My blue globe spins and spins, and nothin' happens.
I uninstalled the whole dang mess from, after unsuccessfully trying to allow it to "repair"...and then re-installed the complete FULL version. But email access still doesn't work right.

I wish I had just sat on the old version. It worked like a charm.

I'm about ready to uninstall Windows Live ALTOGETHER...and download the MSN suite again and use that email program to access my inbox, etc.

I don't have OUTLOOK on the new 'puter. Have it on the old laptop, and it was always getting glitchy.

Anyone have any better email programs that you like?
Anyone experiencing my problem with the updated version of Windows Live Email? Have you been able to tweak its performance?

I know I could go to Hotmail.com to access my email, but that is a last ditch effort. Too many steps on a multi-use daily basis.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-20-2009 at 04:32 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

Howdy:

I use Firefox to surf the web and I use the firefox toolbar for Hotmail and g-mail. I have both. You can save your hotmail address as a bookmark and then drag it into the "Bookmarks toolbar" and it will show up as an icon on the toolbar above the open window. I never have to log in and I even have hotmail on my i-google homepage that shows me when I have new mail.

Maybe there is just an easier way for you to use hotmail, I always found e-mail programs to be hard to use but that's just me. You might want to give firefox a try, I love it!!

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

It's super easy to use, I love the toolbar for all the sites I visit regularly and it keeps me logged into those sites, like hotmail or ravelry, so I just click on the button and I'm there. If you do try it, you might want to read the "tips and tricks" part. I wish I had, I found all those things by accident!!

Good luck!!!

ps, your Sylvi is lookin HOT!!!!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Ann~

Thanks for your reply! I've used FIREFOX for a couple years and I love it, too! I'd be lost without it! Oh, and that Bookmark Toolbar! The other day it blipped out, kaput.
So I did a computer restart, and everything was restored.
Dunno what that was all about. I could get to FF, but ALL the bookmarks and toolbar had vanished.

Just seconds before your reply, I gave up on Windows Live Mail (which launches straight from QUICK LAUNCH down by the Start Button).

I had found a way to access my email via Firefox, then Qwest Mail ...and I saved that link in Bookmarks Toolbar, then dragged it out where I can see it. I'll just have to open Firefox, then click my Qwest Mail button in the Bookmarks Toolbar.

I tinkered around and found Windows Live (aka Outlook Express) but I wasn't as crazy about it's appearance.

Anyone else wanna weigh in on this Windows Live Email dilemma? So much for updates! They kicked my butt, and a lot of other folks, too!

Thanks again for taking time to send input my way, Ann!

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I didn't like the streamlined email programs. You can't insert photos in the body of the email, and I need that capability for my work.

So I had a BRAIN STORM. Sitting there, watching Gray's Anatomy (yeah, I confess...) and I remember SYSTEM RESTORE!

So I restored my system to Monday (did the update thing on Wed), but Monday was my only option...and VOILA...I have the older version of Windows Live Mail back.

Now, I hope it works. I am letting that 'puter do its AV updates that were undone because of the Sys Restore.

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

Hey! That's great! I'm a big GA fan too! I don't get to watch it on TV because I have little kids that I'm putting to bed right when it's on but I do watch it online in my studio when I can get out there. (Again, two little kids,...)

I'm so glad you got everything back! I HATE it when the computer decides to do it's own thing! We had that same thing happen with our computer (everything dissappears) a few years ago and I don't remember why or what we did about it. People say that computers are just machines but we were having major system problems and knew our laptop was on the way out so we bought a backup hard drive and backed everything up and it's like we gave our computer a spanking and a time out! It hasn't acted up since!!! They know!!

Congrats on your brainstorm!!!!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I use Mozilla's Thunderbird for all my emails. I have 3 accounts right now (2 for daily use, and 1 for the stuff I want to sign up for but don't want to use a "good" email). I'm sure I'll have more as DD grows up. I love Thunderbird because all my emails are in one place, no matter if they're Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or the local service provider!

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Pie For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-20-2009)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Oh yeah, I updated to the new Windows Live and don't have any trouble. Of course, I only have it for Messenger so it's hard to say. I also installed "Writer" that they offered, and haven't had trouble with that yet either.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Hubby and I have always used Outlook Express and still prefer it to anything else we've tried. Lately when Microsoft has updates to XP it wants to convert me to Outlook for email so I'm doing custom install on updates. Sometimes I have to go to internet options and change preferred email back to Outlook Express. I'm not good at change in my computer settings. I just want to do what I want ot do and I mainly do research and reading on the net.
ArtLady1981 (03-20-2009)
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Bad news and good news.

1) System Restore gave back the older version of Windows Live Mail...but, something was out of whack, and it didn't work. It tried to open, but I got error messages saying that a security program on my computer didn't like WLM, and therefore is closing it.

SO......

2) I went out and fetched the FULL VERSION for Windows Live (the prompted version is a partial download; you have to take extra steps to get the full version)...and I installed it. IT WORKS!

I run the VISTA-OS...I don't know if that made the update glitchy, but I read on the HELP blogs that downloading the FULL VERSION can help the program 'settle in' better. It also took quite a bit longer to download and install (than the promted version).

Thanks for all your help and tips!

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post

Anyone have any better email programs that you like?

Thunderbird. It's a Mozilla shareware program -- I guess you could consider it a sister product to Firefox. It's full-featured, works great, and it's free. What more could you ask? I use a local ISP with the delightful name of .net -- nice guys, good service.

I used Eudora for a long time and loved it but it somehow became incompatible with my system (or vice versa).