Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

You're going to love using smaller needles someday! I find I can knit even faster with them than with larger needles--smaller hand motions, maybe? Still takes longer to make a sock with thinner yarn and smaller needles than with thicker, but it can be worth it. I'm not a quick knitter by any stretch of the imagination, but I can make a single stockinette stitch sock with a 7" leg, heel flap, in womens' 7 1/2 in less than 8 hours.

One you get acclimated to smaller needles, anything larger than US 6 feels huge!
Jenelle (03-19-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by Denise in Michigan View Post
You're going to love using smaller needles someday! I find I can knit even faster with them than with larger needles--smaller hand motions, maybe? Still takes longer to make a sock with thinner yarn and smaller needles than with thicker, but it can be worth it. I'm not a quick knitter by any stretch of the imagination, but I can make a single stockinette stitch sock with a 7" leg, heel flap, in womens' 7 1/2 in less than 8 hours.

One you get acclimated to smaller needles, anything larger than US 6 feels huge!
It probably is the smaller hand motions. Well, I'm more of a fan of anklets, so I'll probably be able to get them done in no time at all. I guess it's just because of the fact that I'm afraid of getting SSS with smaller needles rather than the larger ones. If I can get really into it, it usually only takes me a day to get a pair done on size 6's. And yes, I can see why they would feel huge. I'm working on an afghan right now on 10.5's, and making even that big of a jump it feels like I'm knitting with broom handles!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #13
valentina
1st Leg of the Journey

I like all yours socks!
valentina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valentina For This Useful Post:
Jenelle (03-20-2009)
Old 03-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
cheley
Working the Gusset

Very nice sockies (just overcame my fear of socks!!!!!) What pat did you use? May I ask?

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
Jenelle (03-22-2009)
Old 03-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Very nice sockies (just overcame my fear of socks!!!!!) What pat did you use? May I ask?
I used Silver's Sock Tutorial as a base, then across the instep I just did a checkered type pattern or just knit across. I have to give all my credit to her.

For some of my socks when I first started, I used my Knitters Bible for lacey patterns, or I just looked around.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #16
wezyus
Turning the Heel

wel done, its nice
Jenelle (03-23-2009)
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
I used Silver's Sock Tutorial as a base, then across the instep I just did a checkered type pattern or just knit across. I have to give all my credit to her.

For some of my socks when I first started, I used my Knitters Bible for lacey patterns, or I just looked around.
Gosh that's really "funny"!! cause I've been gushing all over the place about Silver's Tutorial...just wish I would of tried her tut sooner! I am "still" trying to get the Kitchner stitch down..I am looking for a "toe" up pat without using a "wacky" co to begin

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote