Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Scrapper33
Casting On

First pair of socks pattern?
Hi all,

I've never made socks before. So I am looking for a pattern that will walk me through it step by step and will be easy (and hard to mess up)! Any guidance on a great pattern would be appreciated. I like the Sock Ease yarn...

Thanks.

Scrapper33
Scrapper33 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
cheley
Working the Gusset

Hi, along with Silver's Tutorial try this one:
http://www.valleycafe.com/knitting/sock-pattern.html I found this to be very helpful...as I just recently conquered socks

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Angieknits
Ribbing the Cuff

Hello Scrapper33,

I too am working on my first socks (well using sock weight yarn and dpns anyway) and I'm using silver's sock tutorial.

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

I've only been working off and on for a few days and I'm already past the heel and the decreases on the gusset, and working on the length of the foot. Then again I also only knitted 2 inches worth of ribbing because I prefer short socks. My next pair though I'm going to go the full 8" cuff. Silver's sock class tutorial is really easy to follow and she gives great pictures to help with it, and honestly I can't wait to get going on the second sock.
Angieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
knittingthewinteraway
Casting On

I have almost completed my first pair of socks (granted they are for my 5 year old) but I think this gives the basics so with a little ambition in experimentation one could make an adult pair easily. It demonstrates the slip and wrap (SW) stitch for a heel, a plain ribbing (k1p1) for the top, a slip slip knit (ssk)for a decrease the kitchener stitch for the toe. They make great practice socks and have increased my own curiosity of finding more 'easy' patterns. So this is just a thought from one new to socks knitter to another
knittingthewinteraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Scrapper33
Casting On

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll report back! Have a great Sunday evening.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

If you have the patience to wait before starting on the real thing, starting with a baby sock such as the one suggested by cheley is a great idea.

The other piece of advice I have is at the very end, when you graft the toe, is to follow Silver's tutorial to the letter. Her explanation and photos are fantastic and very clear.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
SissyKnits
Casting On

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's plain old sock recipe was the one that taught me everything I need to know knitting socks. She had a whole chapter devoted to the process in plain english - you can find it in her book Knitting Rules!
"Knitting is magic. Knitting is an act of creation and a simple transformation each and every time. Each knitted gift holds hours of my life...It is all those hours when I chose to spend time warming another person. It's giving them my time - time that I could have spend on anything, or anyone, else. Knitting is love, looped and warm." -Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
SissyKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Scrapper33
Casting On

Anyone use the tutorial on this website? This site is pretty cool!

http://www.knitting-socks.com/how-to-knit-socks.html