Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

Love the color.
The Following User Says Thank You to cindycactus For This Useful Post:
laikabear (03-25-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
laikabear
Turning the Heel

That's Buscando Azul and I will be using it to make Vaila. I had a lot of trouble finding this colorway. The only store who had 8 skeins of it was Diva Knitting (run by Kemp, one of the mods here). It was actually quite cheap for Malabrigo.

I decided to swatch last night and found that Malabrigo is quite difficult to get wound. It wants to stick to itself (well, I would too if I were so soft and lovely and BLUE! ). So I had to spend about 30 minutes untangling a huge yarn mess and then wind the ball by hand. It was worth it though!

I noticed this colorway doesn't look as variegated as some of the ones I've seen before. That's actually a good thing since I probably won't need to alternate skeins for my sweater! I made a scarf with Purple Mystery before and I did have to because the skeins were quite different.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	malabrigo.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	52215  
Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
Oooooooo aaaaahhhhhhh. That must be the new Malabrigo Solids, huh?!!! I love the shade of blue!!! Would you call it indigo, royal, navy? What is the shade/color number?

Yeah, the solids are the only way to go for a 'sweater's worth'.
You can't depend on Malabrigo kettle-dyeds to knit up decently for a sweater.

I have a bed jacket that only used a few skeins of Green Spark. When the yanks arrived, I said "Phew! At least they are all the same shade of greens". Yeah right.

Now AFTER knitting the BACK and almost one FRONT...I could see the lighter cakes.

So, I frogged part of the LEFT FRONT, and reknit with a darkie, and used the LIGHTS for the sleeves. Well, it's just a bed jacket. And I have two sleeves that are lighter.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
Yarnie
Casting On

I'm a HUGE fan of Malabrigo worsted. My yarn shop only carries about 6 colors. Where are some good sites to purchase from?
Yarnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #15
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Actually, this is "Buscando Azul", which I think is supposed to be Kettle Dyed! But you're right, it didn't look it.

This is another Vaila knit with the same colorway. Hers looks kettle dyed, but mine is pretty uniform. I am a little worried there is some variation hidden in the center of the other skeins (wouldn't that be my luck) so I'll wind them all before I get started. AS YOU WELL KNOW, I have a few minor disasters to fix before I start Vaila.

I would say this is a deep cobalt blue, that looks a little purply in some lights. Mine definitely looks deeper and more uniform than the yarn Stitchywitch (above link) used.

The other time I used Malabrigo, I had to alternate skeins because it was VERY OBVIOUS that they were different. You can see a listing of all the colors on the Malabrigo page, but I don't find their website to have accurate color representation. On this page, the Buscando Azul looks light to medium blue, and it looks nothing like that in person (at least, not the skeins I have). I would like to buy Malabrigo only in person, but hardly any stores around here have it, or they don't have very much. I try to look thru people's Rav stash before choosing a color since the Mal website isn't very accurate. I had great luck with Diva Knitting for this order. WEBS also has some colors (if you don't mind your shipment going by a turtle carrying a snail, that is.)
The Following User Says Thank You to laikabear For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #16
wezyus
Turning the Heel

Nice color, enjoy the knitting
Old 03-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
margz3
Working the Gusset

Yum!! Wouldn't it be wonderful to jump into a giant vat of Malabrigo?

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote