Old 03-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
nickyfraggle
Casting On

Cant understand pattern - decreasing
Hello,

I'm a new knitter, and have found a lovely pattern to knit, but I don't understand it.

I've started a rib, I'm 2 rows in and it's going ok...

But I've now got to do this:

Cont in rib, dec 1 st at each end of 5th and 2 foll 4th rows (79) sts

Work in rib for a further 9 rows, ending with a ws row.

Ok, so this is what I THINK it means.... can you please correct me if I'm completely wrong!

I think it means, on row 5 (ignoring the first 2 rows I've knitted?) I should decrease 1 stitch at each end of the row. As it doesn't tell me how I assume I can decrease in any way I normally would.

And then, on the 4th row following row 5, which would be row 9, I should decrease 2 on each side?

I now have 85 stitches, and should end up with 79, so this would make sense, 2 from row 5 and 4 decreased from row 9....

So, should I ignore the 2 rows I've already knitted, and so what I've described above? If I'm completely wrong just let me know - I'm just worried about carrying on until I know because if I make a mess I'll only find out once I've finished the whole thing!!

Later on in the pattern it also says:

Work in stocking stick as follows -
Inc 1 st at each end of 7th and every foll 6th row until there are (93) stitches

Really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Nicky
nickyfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
katknit
1st Leg of the Journey

My interpretation based on what's worked on similar instrux before :

Keep first 2 rows.

Start counting on next row, and after 4 more rows, work dec at beg and end. (this is row 5)

Keep going, and work dec on row 9. Keep working, do dec at row 13.

Good luck!

katknit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to katknit For This Useful Post:
nickyfraggle (03-26-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
nickyfraggle
Casting On

Ahh I see - so would I dec on rows 5, 9 and 13, and THEN continue for the next 9 rows in rib stitch?

I got confused thinking this was part of the first instruction in some way!! So I was trying to fit it all into the 9 rows it mentions to continue using rib for!

I think I get it now...basically keep decreasing ever however many rows it tells you until you get to the right number of stitches... in my case 79 :P Then carry on with the next bit...

Thanks so much for your help. I'm completely new to knitting and haven't got any guidance (my Dad is looking at me in complete puzzlement as to what on earth his daughter is up to now hehe!) so it's really helpful to have somewhere to ask questions...

Thanks for such a quick response...

I may get this finished before next year now :-)

Nicky xx
Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Ahh I see - so would I dec on rows 5, 9 and 13, and THEN continue for the next 9 rows in rib stitch?
Yep, this is right. You don't 'ignore' the first rows, just when you get to row 5, you dec.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
nickyfraggle (03-26-2009)
Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
nickyfraggle
Casting On

Thanks for your help!!

You guys are great! x