Old 03-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I just bought some Possum...it is very soft....very soft...and very warm...I think the only thing that prevents me from saying it is my favorite....is that it sheds....but so far, only when I am knitting with it...not the finished product...

As far as what is my favorite? I don't know...it depends on the project...superwash wool, or bamboo for socks....the possum is nice for gloves....silk blends for shawls....

I love playing with fibre and seeing where it works best.....even acrylic has its place....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Reading through this thread has made me realize how horribly sheltered I have been when it comes to yarn. Possum?!!!

I haven't been doing this long enough to have a favorite, but I was at Michael's today and even though I swore I'd only buy one skein of Caron's Simply Soft because it was on sale, I saw this gorgeous color yarn and couldn't resist and bought the last two skeins - the Red Heart soft yarn in the color Embers. I have no idea what I'll knit with it but I couldn't resist it, such a beautiful color.
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

I remember Possum being discussed before. The Possum is from Australia. (http://www.aussiepossummen.com.au/)

A brushtail Possum.

It is not the same animal as the Opossum of North America. And the Opossum that is in North America are native to eastern USA but imported to western USA...

A Virginia Opossum

Note the hairless tail!

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
("Originally native to the eastern United States, the Virginia Opossum was intentionally introduced into the West during the Great Depression, probably as a source of food." [2])
I've read on another thread here of the woman who saved her own hair (cast offs and cuttings) and spun it into yarn and made herself a sweater.

There is also reports of spinning pet fur into yarn. My Rottweiler certainly sheds enough I could do that, I wouldn't but I could. (Bit of a difference, I think.)

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 03-26-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

An acquaintance of my family's raises wolves, and tried making yarn out of the spring shedding. They had to stop wearing the sweaters she made, though, as dogs would react VERY strangely to them when they wore them!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by sorifes View Post
My dream fiber is Qivuit but it could be because I live in alaska. It's always so soft when I touch it at the native craft fairs and I go ooh it's so nice and I hear it's soo warm. But ooh it's like 80 bucks for 2 oz of lace weight yarn.

Although fibers I've use that I like is the Merino wool. I have some Cashmere but I don't know what to do with it...I'm pondering socks when I get the guts to make them.
Qiviuk (I've seen it spelled various ways)... I don't know if it was worth the $80 I paid for it but it is definitely dreamy soft. The yarn was so fine that it broke easily, though. It is a mark of my fiber-snobbery that I saved for an entire summer (the summer I spent in Alaska) so that I could buy a ball when I was in Ketchikan to fly home.
Fortunately, a lot of things in Alaska are edible, so skimping on my grocery bill was possible without even going hungry. (Yummm, beach asparagus!)
Originally Posted by globaltraveler View Post
An acquaintance of my family's raises wolves, and tried making yarn out of the spring shedding. They had to stop wearing the sweaters she made, though, as dogs would react VERY strangely to them when they wore them!
OMG wolf fiber would be so cool!!! *adds another exotic critter to the dream fiber list.* I love exotic, rare fibers.
My favorite that I use semi-regularly is baby alpaca/silk. I love working with merino and with shetland (though not for the same project!). Shetland is hard to come by, though.

I am SUCH a fiber snob...
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

OMG! Possum!?! We have those creatures around here and they give me the creeps! You've heard the term "playin' possum?" They actually do that! They roll over and act like they're dead...so whatever is chasing/bothering them will go away. Ugh!! I also have to contend with gators just taking my dogs for a walk. We have lots of canals all around where I live and a nature trail that runs through them and those gators just lay around on the banks and sun all day...creepy x2.
Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Sknitter56 View Post
OMG! Possum!?! We have those creatures around here and they give me the creeps!

If your note of GA means Georgia, USA, then you definitely do NOT have Possum around there. You have Opossum and it is not just a spelling difference. Check out the links in the next quote.

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post
I remember Possum being discussed before. The Possum is from Australia. (http://www.aussiepossummen.com.au/)

An Australian brushtail Possum

It is not the same animal as the Opossum of North America. And the Opossum that is in North America are native to eastern USA but imported to western USA...

A North American or Virginia Opossum
Note the hairless tail.

So, similar names but different animals. They both are marsupials, but that is nearly all they have in common.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

I like the possum merino blend I'm swatching up with (Touch yarns-http://www.touchyarns.com/). I haven't noticed any shedding even when I frogged. BTW, alot of the possum yarns come from New Zealand, not Australia. The brushie was introduced there for the fur trade, then the fur trade died and the brushie firmly set up camp. It is now a pest there. The idea is to make a financially sound reason for trapping and removing the pest species.
http://www.merinopossum.co.nz/loose_wool.htm
I personally LOVE alpaca. It's Warm and Soft and Warm and Warm... and alpacas are pretty cool as animals as well. I have noticed some balls are a little hairy though.
for Luxury fibers... Vicuna anyone... no idea how to get some, no idea how much it'll cost (other than alot) but I want to try it. And that wolf sounds interesting. I like the idea of knitting with nontraditional or pretraditional fibers.
What about fibers people think "nice, not me," or "overrated". For me this is cashmere. I've fondled some Cashmere balls, and honestly, Alpaca is softer and cheaper. I'll try it before I firmly blow it off, but currently I'm "Meh".
FV
Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #19
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Quote:
I've fondled some Cashmere balls, and honestly, Alpaca is softer and cheaper. I'll try it before I firmly blow it off, but currently I'm "Meh".
What kind of cashmere were you fondling? I have some Nord du Laine 100% cashmere that's nice, but it isn't a patch on some wonderful Chinese cashmere that Loop (in London) carries. Of course, the latter costs about 32 quid a skein. So the Nord Du Laine I bought on sale at 3.50 a ball works fine for me at the moment...

ETA: By the way, many cashmere yarns must be washed, sometimes more than once, before they develop their full softness.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote